The Student Room Group

I'm so lost and feel out of my depth here

I've just got my form to apply for a HND in midwifery/nursing, and have filled it in all apart from the 'personal statement' section. As i'm a 'mature' (hee hee) student we didn't have them when I left school and haven't a clue what to do. Then I've had a quick look at some of the threads here and there is talk of 'points'.........what are they? Like I said, I'm sort of lost here. I've spent 3 years getting GCSE's in the hope I'll be accepted, but everyone else seems to be talking A and AS levels. Do uni's accept people with just GCSe's?
Reply 1
mommasmaug
I've just got my form to apply for a HND in midwifery/nursing, and have filled it in all apart from the 'personal statement' section. As i'm a 'mature' (hee hee) student we didn't have them when I left school and haven't a clue what to do. Then I've had a quick look at some of the threads here and there is talk of 'points'.........what are they? Like I said, I'm sort of lost here. I've spent 3 years getting GCSE's in the hope I'll be accepted, but everyone else seems to be talking A and AS levels. Do uni's accept people with just GCSe's?

I don't know but most universitites want A levels etc but there are access courses for mature students
hotnanoo
I don't know but most universitites want A levels etc but there are access courses for mature students

I dont think youll get onto HND Nursing with GCSEs you may need an a level pass or two depending on the college u want to apply to.

As the above says i would recommend an access course.
Reply 3
mommasmaug

Most universites accept students who are *mature*.
Reply 4
hiya im going to uni nxt yr to do nursing hopefully.
I am currently studying AVCE Health and social care, AS Citizenship, NCFE Counselling and GCSE English i also have GNVQ Intermediate.

My friend is applying to do midwifery but has been told that most uni's take 10-25 students a year and take over 500 applications for the course so i should imagine they are gonna be pretty strict about who they take when they have so many applicants to choose from. My friend has been told she will need CC or above in the HSC plus GCSE English and Maths at C or above and a science subject. She already has 8 GCSE's A-C and is now studying for AVCE HSC, AS Citizenship, NCFE Counselling. She also has worked at a maternity hospital and been a birthing partner.
Would it not be better for you to do an Access Course?

Latest

Trending

Trending