The Student Room Group

Nottingham Trent Vs Sheffield Hallam

Hey guys,

Just a quick post to ask what your thoughts are on these two Unis. I am currently in last year of college, have sent off my UCAS form applying for Product Design and received 3 offers so far. I have Loughborough as my firm choice; any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated about Trent or Hallam or a comparison between the two to help me decide on my backup choice. I do realise neither of them are red brick and some posh totties may look down on my choice of unis but without slagging off either of these unis constructive criticism (pros and cons) for each would be very helpful. Thanks in advance. : )

bcji
I had to chose between these 2 a few years ago and I chose Hallam after seeing both at an open day. Which campus would you be at for Trent and which one for Hallam?
Nottingham and Sheffield are both good student cities and I've been to both places a number of times as well as living in Sheffield for 2 years. I loved it in Sheffield..any questions about Sheffield or Hallam then do ask. :smile:
Reply 2
Firstly, thanks for such a speedy responce! :smile: I would be at the city campus at both. Oh cool, your just the person to talk to then. To be honest, I have my reservations about sheffield as a city, this is probably because i have only visited once when i had an interview. Can you talk me round?

I hope you don't mind me listing a few questions, purly so you can read them easier.

What does sheffield have going for it in terms of bars/clubs/student venues?

I've her hallams union has seen better days and is on the small side, what are your views?

I am particularly interesting in rugby and music, live gigs etc. Could you advise me here at all? Do you know whether sheffield hallam has a good rugby side?

Do you mind me asking what you studied at hallam? I couldnt help but notice the writing under your message, it says hallam unsuccesful?

Thanks again
bcji
Firstly, thanks for such a speedy responce! :smile: I would be at the city campus at both. Oh cool, your just the person to talk to then. To be honest, I have my reservations about sheffield as a city, this is probably because i have only visited once when i had an interview. Can you talk me round?

I hope you don't mind me listing a few questions, purly so you can read them easier.

What does sheffield have going for it in terms of bars/clubs/student venues?

I've her hallams union has seen better days and is on the small side, what are your views?

I am particularly interesting in rugby and music, live gigs etc. Could you advise me here at all? Do you know whether sheffield hallam has a good rugby side?

Do you mind me asking what you studied at hallam? I couldnt help but notice the writing under your message, it says hallam unsuccesful?

Thanks again

City campus for both is great then..can't go wrong but out of the 2 I prefer Sheffield. The nightlife is great in Sheffield and with Hallam arena bands and live shows are always going to happen. Both student unions in Sheffield are great I found, I went to so many different clubs with different music each night. Drinks are cheap but the music was good depending on your taste. I love the leadmill myself and I miss it loads now I live in Ipswich!

Not sure about rugby..I'm into football although my flatmate played for the rugby team and had a great time including great nights out. :biggrin:

I spent 2 years at Hallam doing Criminology and Psychology, loved it but it wasn't the course for me in the end and I had various problems away from uni to deal with at the time so I dropped out in 2007. I am going back to uni this year but Hallam rejected me as I didn't meet the a-level grades for primary education.
Reply 4
I am at Sheffield and love it, but I think Trent might have a better reputation for Arts and Design, my boyfriend is there and he really loves being there for his course...

....not sure though! I like Sheffield as a city, nightlife is good and everyone is really nice!
Jingaling
I am at Sheffield and love it, but I think Trent might have a better reputation for Arts and Design, my boyfriend is there and he really loves being there for his course...

....not sure though! I like Sheffield as a city, nightlife is good and everyone is really nice!

Yep, forgot to mention how friendly people are in Sheffield! :smile:
Reply 6
ipswichblade
City campus for both is great then..can't go wrong but out of the 2 I prefer Sheffield. The nightlife is great in Sheffield and with Hallam arena bands and live shows are always going to happen. Both student unions in Sheffield are great I found, I went to so many different clubs with different music each night. Drinks are cheap but the music was good depending on your taste. I love the leadmill myself and I miss it loads now I live in Ipswich!

Not sure about rugby..I'm into football although my flatmate played for the rugby team and had a great time including great nights out. :biggrin:

I spent 2 years at Hallam doing Criminology and Psychology, loved it but it wasn't the course for me in the end and I had various problems away from uni to deal with at the time so I dropped out in 2007. I am going back to uni this year but Hallam rejected me as I didn't meet the a-level grades for primary education.

Ohhh dam, i had nearly finished a pretty long post and then the browser froze! So annoying! Anyway i shall try and regurgitate something along the lines of what i wrote.

Thank you for your reply! Again, very helpful information! Its great to here that the nightlife and music scene is livly and that the drinks are cheap lol! I expect to be tight for the night 4 years so thats a bonus!

Just another few quick questions :P

Having lived in sheffield for 2 years, can you advise me as to where the best/better accommodation is in the city? Where the nearest amenities are and best places to catch a bite are?

Is there any rivalry between Hallam and the other Sheffield Uni? I heard rumours Sheffield looks down on Hallam? Not that i am bothered, i guess i'm being kind of nosy! :smile:

I am sorry to hear that your course did not work out, I wish you every success in your next venture into university life!
Reply 7
Jingaling

Thanks for the responce! It is very reasuring to hear that everyone is nice, but by this do you mean the public or the students? How about the teaching staff, generally very helpful?

Do you mind me asking what course you do? What you accommodation is like etc?

Interesting to hear that your boyfriend is at Trent, i believe they have similar reputations for design, although i think Hallams Art and Design department is brand new so there reputation could well be on the way up. None the less, hope you don't mind if i ask about how it works that you manage to maintain the relationship with you living in Sheffield? I ask particularly because, provided nothing goes badly wrong between my girlfriend and I, I want to stay with her during uni. (I know alot of couples split up but some couples manage it, like yourself!) She lives, as i do atm, in manchester..
Reply 8
bcji
Thanks for the responce! It is very reasuring to hear that everyone is nice, but by this do you mean the public or the students? How about the teaching staff, generally very helpful?

Do you mind me asking what course you do? What you accommodation is like etc?

Interesting to hear that your boyfriend is at Trent, i believe they have similar reputations for design, although i think Hallams Art and Design department is brand new so there reputation could well be on the way up. None the less, hope you don't mind if i ask about how it works that you manage to maintain the relationship with you living in Sheffield? I ask particularly because, provided nothing goes badly wrong between my girlfriend and I, I want to stay with her during uni. (I know alot of couples split up but some couples manage it, like yourself!) She lives, as i do atm, in manchester..

Hey! Honestly nearly everyone I've met including locals, students and staff have been lovely, obviously I can't speak for everyone but I've really found everyone I've spoken to to be really friendly which I've loved!

Well I'm at Uni of Sheffield so I can't really imagine I'd be much help in that respect! We're kinda on the opposite side of the city centre mainly, but if you'd still like me to help, let me know! And I study Biblical Studies (I'm atheist just to let you know) :smile:.

Getting to Notts and back is no problem whatsoever, there are like 20+ trains a day (around 1-2 an hour) which also go to Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool. If you have a railcard you can buy an open return (I prefer them since its not much more expensive and there's more flexibility in choosing when to get the train) from Sheffield to Nottingham for about ten pounds, and it's the same from Sheffield to Manchester. That respect has never been a problem for me to be honest and we see eachother every weekend to every other weekend :smile:.
bcji
Ohhh dam, i had nearly finished a pretty long post and then the browser froze! So annoying! Anyway i shall try and regurgitate something along the lines of what i wrote.

Thank you for your reply! Again, very helpful information! Its great to here that the nightlife and music scene is livly and that the drinks are cheap lol! I expect to be tight for the night 4 years so thats a bonus!

Just another few quick questions :P

Having lived in sheffield for 2 years, can you advise me as to where the best/better accommodation is in the city? Where the nearest amenities are and best places to catch a bite are?

Is there any rivalry between Hallam and the other Sheffield Uni? I heard rumours Sheffield looks down on Hallam? Not that i am bothered, i guess i'm being kind of nosy! :smile:

I am sorry to hear that your course did not work out, I wish you every success in your next venture into university life!

Do you mean the uni accomodation? Well I stayed at Charlotte Court which is near the city centre...about a ten minute walk from the train centre and the city centre...maybe fifteen minutes at most. I had mates staying in Exchange works, Leadmill Point and Libery Works and nobody had any complaints. All are within easy reach of the shops and pubs/clubs/bars. Charlotte Court was near a Netto which was handy! :biggrin:
Sheffield has the usual restaurants and chains of bars/pubs. Something for everyone.

There is rivalry but I didn't take any notice of it!

And thanks for the good wishes...as you can see I am hoping to go back to Yorkshire with Huddersfield and York St John being my top choices!
I love NTU, it's perfect if you want a good course - but at the same time a fantastic nightlife :smile:
Reply 11
Jingaling
Hey! Honestly nearly everyone I've met including locals, students and staff have been lovely, obviously I can't speak for everyone but I've really found everyone I've spoken to to be really friendly which I've loved!

Well I'm at Uni of Sheffield so I can't really imagine I'd be much help in that respect! We're kinda on the opposite side of the city centre mainly, but if you'd still like me to help, let me know! And I study Biblical Studies (I'm atheist just to let you know) :smile:.

Getting to Notts and back is no problem whatsoever, there are like 20+ trains a day (around 1-2 an hour) which also go to Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool. If you have a railcard you can buy an open return (I prefer them since its not much more expensive and there's more flexibility in choosing when to get the train) from Sheffield to Nottingham for about ten pounds, and it's the same from Sheffield to Manchester. That respect has never been a problem for me to be honest and we see eachother every weekend to every other weekend :smile:.

Thanks for the reply : ) What does Biblical Studies involve then? Do you enjoy it?

I'd love to know how you think sheffield compares to other cities in the UK? I am very much into 'city lifestyle' I like to keep busy and have all the student amenities close by. I.e plenty of clubs/pubs/sports facilities/shops. In terms of these, does sheffield compete with Nottingham, Manchester at all? When i visited i made an observation that sheffield seemed a few years behind manchester in terms of re-development, would you say this was true?

The train sounds very convenient, thanks for the info! Parent will continue to live in manchester when i move out so ride home sound very easy and pretty cheap! And in terms of seeing the gf, sounds like it would be possible to maintain it all :smile:.

ipswichblade
Do you mean the uni accomodation? Well I stayed at Charlotte Court which is near the city centre...about a ten minute walk from the train centre and the city centre...maybe fifteen minutes at most. I had mates staying in Exchange works, Leadmill Point and Libery Works and nobody had any complaints. All are within easy reach of the shops and pubs/clubs/bars. Charlotte Court was near a Netto which was handy!
Sheffield has the usual restaurants and chains of bars/pubs. Something for everyone.

There is rivalry but I didn't take any notice of it!

And thanks for the good wishes...as you can see I am hoping to go back to Yorkshire with Huddersfield and York St John being my top choices!

Thanks for the response! I shall research into the accommodation you have noted, this said they all sound more than adequate. Which is the most modern would you say? Most popular/hardest to get into? Also, when do you suggest i apply for accommodation, provided offer goes through all okay on UCAS.
Reply 12
IAmTheSmiler
I love NTU, it's perfect if you want a good course - but at the same time a fantastic nightlife :smile:

Hey! Just wondering whether you can sell me nottingham? In terms of the city, and the product design course there at NTU. I'm finding it very hard to choose between NTU and Sheffield Hallam.

Awesome. A good nightlife is important to me, so thats reassuring to here. I heard a rumor that at both loughborough and nottingham, the students do not get on well with the general public. I think perhaps one story i heard about how students go refused entry into a club at a weekend simply because they were students (and therefore more likely to 'play up') What are you views on this, from presuming first hand experience in Nottingham? Thanks!
bcji

Thanks for the response! I shall research into the accommodation you have noted, this said they all sound more than adequate. Which is the most modern would you say? Most popular/hardest to get into? Also, when do you suggest i apply for accommodation, provided offer goes through all okay on UCAS.

Apply as soon as possible..I did and got my first choice which was Charlotte Court. :smile: Don't know what's the most popular to be honest but nearly all are modern! :smile:
Reply 14
bcji
Thanks for the reply : ) What does Biblical Studies involve then? Do you enjoy it?

I'd love to know how you think sheffield compares to other cities in the UK? I am very much into 'city lifestyle' I like to keep busy and have all the student amenities close by. I.e plenty of clubs/pubs/sports facilities/shops. In terms of these, does sheffield compete with Nottingham, Manchester at all? When i visited i made an observation that sheffield seemed a few years behind manchester in terms of re-development, would you say this was true?

The train sounds very convenient, thanks for the info! Parent will continue to live in manchester when i move out so ride home sound very easy and pretty cheap! And in terms of seeing the gf, sounds like it would be possible to maintain it all :smile:.

I do enjoy my course actually, I've been lucky that my year has a good balance of religious/non religious people, which is really important! I basically look at the Bible in terms of archaeology (we can go on digs in Israel, but probably not with the current situation!), critical stuff similar to English Literature, and learning languages such as Hebrew and Greek. I've found it really interesting, especially with the effect it has on the modern world and how it ended up to be such a massive influence on so much

Anyway yeah I do think you're right about being a few years behind on redevelopment, it might even be behind Notts in that respect, but so much has gone on in the past two years or so in terms of redevelopment and there's been a lot of development in terms of city living (I agree btw!) which I've found really nice. I wouldn't say it was comparable to Manchester but it's definately on its way and its great to be a part of!

There's definately a lot on offer in terms of pubs and clubs, the shopping side seems a lot smaller than other big cities but Meadowhall is a tram ride away incase you're after something specific, to be honest, it's nice to just walk around places like Division Street and the Winter Gardens which are worth a visit and in the city centre.

I would say Sheffield and Nottingham are definately comparable in terms of night life having experienced both! They are both such a good night out and I think both unis you've applied to really benefit from their location.

I really love both cities in general having spent a lot of time in both, but I like living in Sheffield overall for the atmosphere in general :smile:.

I know a little about Notts Trent and where my boyfriend lives etc too if you need to know any more about Trent :smile:. I really like being in Sheffield and I like visiting Nottingham too :smile:. Sorry tht isn't much help!
Reply 15
Jingaling
Anyway yeah I do think you're right about being a few years behind on redevelopment, it might even be behind Notts in that respect, but so much has gone on in the past two years or so in terms of redevelopment and there's been a lot of development in terms of city living (I agree btw!) which I've found really nice. I wouldn't say it was comparable to Manchester but it's definately on its way and its great to be a part of!

There's definately a lot on offer in terms of pubs and clubs, the shopping side seems a lot smaller than other big cities but Meadowhall is a tram ride away incase you're after something specific, to be honest, it's nice to just walk around places like Division Street and the Winter Gardens which are worth a visit and in the city centre.

I would say Sheffield and Nottingham are definately comparable in terms of night life having experienced both! They are both such a good night out and I think both unis you've applied to really benefit from their location.

I really love both cities in general having spent a lot of time in both, but I like living in Sheffield overall for the atmosphere in general :smile:.

I know a little about Notts Trent and where my boyfriend lives etc too if you need to know any more about Trent :smile:. I really like being in Sheffield and I like visiting Nottingham too :smile:. Sorry tht isn't much help!

Hey. Sorry for the delayed reply, been back at college this week, you probably remember how it is, first week is abit of a workk overload.

Again, thanks for the reply. I have recieved an offer from loughborough today which is great. I think i will make it my first choice, with either Trent of Hallam my backup. Swaying more towards the Trent side because of its slightly better course in terms of reputation and a yea in industry. From what i gather, the cities are very comparable and it sounds like i will have a whale of a time if i went to either. One last question though, does your boyfriend have a TSR account? Would it be possible to ask him a few things about nottingham? Thanks in advance. bcji
sorry i havent been on much, ive been working too much.
i can honestly say, having been in loads of cities, that nottingham is one of the friendliest places ive ever been. people say theres a lot of rivalry between both unis... never seen it tbh, except for in sports competitions. ive been allowed in everywhere, i just dont think they like very drunk people if you know what i mean :tongue: cause too much trouble.
it's nice, go to the open day this month if you can - i'll be your student ambassador if you book an 11am tour :smile:
Reply 17
If u wanna get laid go to Sheffield.
If u wanna get shot go to Shottingham.
Original post by ipswichblade
I had to chose between these 2 a few years ago and I chose Hallam after seeing both at an open day. Which campus would you be at for Trent and which one for Hallam?
Nottingham and Sheffield are both good student cities and I've been to both places a number of times as well as living in Sheffield for 2 years. I loved it in Sheffield..any questions about Sheffield or Hallam then do ask. :smile:

Which would you say is the most lively student halls at Sheffield Hallam?
Original post by ipswichblade

Which would you say is the most lively student halls at Sheffield Hallam?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending