Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Police Work Experience

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't show where to put this thread... so i put it here

Okay I've been thinking recently increasingly about joining the police maybe, or doing something similar as a profession. I would be really interested in the psychological side, like helping victims, basically just talking to people, interviewing etc;

Anyway, is police work experience worth it? Do they actually let you do anything, eg at doctor's surgeries u do very little, meanwhile at schools, you can lots of stuff. And furthermore do they let you at 17? Anyone had work experience at the police before; anyone know any good departments to go for, similar professions, or maybe an are of the police force they're likely to let me go with?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you look into becoming a Special Constable?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzypants)

Okay I've been thinking recently increasingly about joining the police maybe, or doing something similar as a profession. I would be really interested in the psychological side, like helping victims, basically just talking to people, interviewing etc;
    Me too but i've decided to study Criminology at Uni and then during my studying perhaps volunteer at a police station.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeal)
    Why don't you look into becoming a Special Constable?
    Because they're not old enough?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyFencer)
    Because they're not old enough?
    That's true. I didn't read that far into the thread. 1 year isn't a long time to wait though and you can apply a few months in advance as by the time you have been through the recruitment process and start training you would be 18.

Sheep88 is old enough though.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeal)
    That's true. I didn't read that far into the thread. 1 year isn't a long time to wait though and you can apply a few months in advance as by the time you have been through the recruitment process and start training you would be 18.

Sheep88 is old enough though.
    I don't want to apply, just have a a few days work experience, just for the fun of it to see how it is.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What do you expect to do though? You can ask to spend a night with a Regular in a patrol car to get an insight into the role of a PC first hand, I think some forces allow that. Best thing to do is go to your local station and ask them if there is anything they could offer to give you the experience you are looking for.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know of someone who is a police officer who I used to go school with, they tried to find a work exp placement for a month with the Met. However they said no!, he also asked Kent police force and they said yes! He worked in the county HQ working in various departments (mainly filing and admin work, stock checks on equipment etc)...but never on the streets due to his own safety and insurance.

I would recommend writing a letter or even better try and get a name of someone who works within the police force that you may know?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Different forces organise different things. PHONE as many forces as is reasonable for you to travel to for work experience. I'm enlisted on a week's course for 15-16 year olds, despite the fact that I'm 18 and have been squeezed in last minute. If you can get hold of any officers who you know, it can be really useful to have someone who' working to find stuff for you. You have to be 18 and a half to be a regular or special, but most forces hae no official minimum age for their PCSOs. There was an artical about 2 sixteen year olds becoming PCSOs a while back.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 30, 2010
New on TSR

Talk about SQA results day

Join the chat ahead of grades coming out on Tuesday

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.