The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Opinions on Bristol University

Okay so i think my first choice is going to be bristol, im seeing it in february. but i just wanted other people opinions on what its like espec. those who are there. my friends all say its old dirty and hilly! so id like to hear some other stuff too! thanks xxx

Scroll to see replies

all i know is their econ dept is very very tiny
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
mizzsnazzter
its old dirty and hilly!

Your friends are correct.
Reply 3
I went to the open day a while ago and loved it! Yeah it is hilly but there's some beautiful views from the top and some of the buildings are amazing as well. I just got a really good feel from the city and i know some people who go there and they all love it.
Reply 4
mizzsnazzter
my friends all say its old dirty and hilly!

There are hills; I'll give your friends that.

Other than that, it's amazing! I mean, it really has a fantastically vibrant student atmosphere. What do you look for in a uni?
Reply 5
Ongels
There are hills; I'll give your friends that.

Other than that, it's amazing! I mean, it really has a fantastically vibrant student atmosphere. What do you look for in a uni?

Well id want the accomodation to be not far from the centre, id like it to be a really pretty and well kept area and not roungh like nottingham.. im not too sure really!
are there many clubs? good sports clubs/societies? nice people? etc.. i dont know.. seeing as you go there.. fill me in a bit! x
I love it... i just loved the entire feel of the city (went with parents, not open day thou).. i knew i would though before i had even been there. The student atmosphere was great, people seemed open and friendly, the city is beautiful and then there is a bunch of personal reasons that make me love it more. I have applied for bristol for three courses, and if i dont get it this year i was thinking of a gap year anyway :smile: i have my heart set on it (well ever since i realised Cambridge wasnt gonna happen in a million years)
mizzsnazzter
Well id want the accomodation to be not far from the centre, id like it to be a really pretty and well kept area and not roungh like nottingham.. im not too sure really!
are there many clubs? good sports clubs/societies? nice people? etc.. i dont know.. seeing as you go there.. fill me in a bit! x

erm ok..the area the university is in and central nottingham is not rough at all.
Reply 8
Old isn't a bad thing - it means that it has a strong beginning and a reason for survival. Would you discredit Oxford because it's old?
Hills...well yes, but are you going to choose a university based on whether the surrounding location is hilly or flat?
Dirty? It seems like a really clean city to me! (But I'm from London, so *shrugs*). There are lots of pretty bits :smile: I love the houses that the Arts and Humanities departments are housed in.

All in all I think it's a fantastic city and uni and the three things you mentioned shouldn't be reasons for picking a place of education.
There is a lot of student accommodation near to the centre, and other lodgings further out.
It's not 'rough' at all. Rather there is a vibrant student community and the uni precinct is very young and hip.
There are a fair few clubs. Lots and lots of clubs and societies. I couldn't say if the people are any nicer or nastier than elsewhere, but my experience has been positive.

Maybe the best thing for you to do is look at the course and department first, decide if you like them, then come and visit on an open day and get a real feel for the place!
Reply 9
mizzsnazzter

Sounds like you would want to be looking at the Clifton halls if you applied. There are halls a lot further out (where I live! But it's not bad when you're used to it), but you could apply to Clifton ones, or maybe student houses (some of which, contrary to their name, are almost hall-like in capacity). Clifton is pretty and close to the uni, and has both catered and self-catered accommodation.

There are many clubs (both in sense of societies and nightlife...not sure which one you meant!). I'm not sure on the sports clubs, being rather unsporty, but I know that the societies that I am part of are great, and there is a huge range! As with anywhere, there are nice people and less nice people, but everybody fits in somewhere. I personally have made good friends in halls, on my course, and in the 2 societies that I mainly participate in, as well as starting a relationship - and I would consider myself to be not that outgoing.
Ongels
Sounds like you would want to be looking at the Clifton halls if you applied. There are halls a lot further out (where I live! But it's not bad when you're used to it), but you could apply to Clifton ones, or maybe student houses (some of which, contrary to their name, are almost hall-like in capacity). Clifton is pretty and close to the uni, and has both catered and self-catered accommodation.

There are many clubs (both in sense of societies and nightlife...not sure which one you meant!). I'm not sure on the sports clubs, being rather unsporty, but I know that the societies that I am part of are great, and there is a huge range! As with anywhere, there are nice people and less nice people, but everybody fits in somewhere. I personally have made good friends in halls, on my course, and in the 2 societies that I mainly participate in, as well as starting a relationship - and I would consider myself to be not that outgoing.

awwh thank you so much for filling me in with lots of things!
yeah i looked at clifton but i thought it looked really ugly! :colondollar:
i think it was willis hall and woodland court which i liked the look of... what do you think of those ones? and also student houses.. ?
UPsilamba

Maybe the best thing for you to do is look at the course and department first, decide if you like them, then come and visit on an open day and get a real feel for the place!

Well the course and department looks absolutely amazing and i love it, i just hope the university and city and all are the same! but i hope to go to the post application day :smile: x
Reply 12
It's great. 'Nuff said.
mizzsnazzter
i think it was willis hall and woodland court which i liked the look of... what do you think of those ones? and also student houses.. ?

I have no idea where you got the ugly clifton halls from :s-smilie: Goldney's georgous, CHH is too if you look at it from the right side, it also has a beautiful garden, Manor just has many parts to it but it's what i'd call ugly.

Wills Hall is beautiful and has a very Oxford feel (the guy who built it did it for his son who got rejected from oxford), but it's very far away and you will be the target of the halls around you who seem to hate you for no apparent reason :s-smilie:
Reply 14
I've been there a few times and it look awesome :yep:

probs going to be my first choice :biggrin:
Reply 15
mizzsnazzter

Are you f***ing serious?
Reply 16
mizzsnazzter

Woodland court is amazing! I've got loads of friends staying there and I totally regret not choosing it last time! It's a very new buildings, very clean inside and a fairly large student community. But still, I'm happy to be in my current Hall, which is in Clifton. One plus point of staying in Woodland Court, you get to skip the whole stretch of slope to Uni, whereas we Clifton'ers have to climb that horrible slope every single day in order to reach Uni, it's nothing for people who are physically fit but I do not fancy that. Some of my friends love it though.
Reply 17
I love Bristol. Have studied at both Imperial College and Bristol (at the moment) and Bristol is by far the best place to be a student. Excellent atmosphere, traditional Russell group uni, well-run and lots of opportunities. Also cheaper than London!
~Adel~
Woodland court is amazing! I've got loads of friends staying there and I totally regret not choosing it last time! It's a very new buildings, very clean inside and a fairly large student community. But still, I'm happy to be in my current Hall, which is in Clifton. One plus point of staying in Woodland Court, you get to skip the whole stretch of slope to Uni, whereas we Clifton'ers have to climb that horrible slope every single day in order to reach Uni, it's nothing for people who are physically fit but I do not fancy that. Some of my friends love it though.

yeah but woodland doesnt have a common room... do you think thats important.. how often do you use yours?x
Reply 19
mizzsnazzter

I'm assuming you haven't seen Clifton in reality...which photos have you seen? To be honest, I doubt you'd get a much nicer area for students, whether first year or otherwise.

I'm quite biased against Wills...but, er, yeah, parts of it are pretty. It is in the Stoke Bishop complex though, so if you're against the walk, it's not ideal. Also, I might as well add that I was really, REALLY desperate to get into a pretty hall, then ended up in University, which is arguably the ugliest. But I love it - and now laugh at people who are paying about £1000 more than me for mere aesthetics. However, if you did want pretty, I'd definitely at least try to get pretty and close.

Do you want catering or self-catered? I don't really know anything about Woodland Court but people seem to be positive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending