The Student Room Group

Full stop after quotation marks

I have copied this of the Fairtade website:
“Fairtrade is a strategy for poverty alleviation and sustainable development. Its purpose is to create opportunities for producers and workers who have been economically disadvantaged or marginalized by the conventional trading system. If fair access to markets under better trade conditions would help them to overcome barriers to development, they can join Fairtrade.”

I always thought the " went before the full stop???

I am a total douche.... which is why I go to a polytechnic!

You're wrong; the full stop comes first.

Trollface.
Reply 2
If what you are quoting has a full stop after a sentence, then the full stop goes before the quotation mark because it is a part of the quote. If the quote is then the end of your sentence then a full stop would go after the quotation mark. So you could actually have one before and after:
James said "Hi, my name is James.".
Reply 3
She didn’t know where to go to for advice, her English wasn’t strong and she had no friends. She described herself as ‘trapped'.

In that sentance the ' is right isnt it?
hobo06
If what you are quoting has a full stop after a sentence, then the full stop goes before the quotation mark because it is a part of the quote. If the quote is then the end of your sentence then a full stop would go after the quotation mark. So you could actually have one before and after:
James said "Hi, my name is James.".

Not really. The fullstop should always be contained in the quotation marks, and there is no need for anything to follow them, even if the quotation (complete with its own nestled fullstop) is at the end of a sentence. That just looks absurd. If you are cutting a quotation short you should use "[...]." at the end, rather than just stopping the quoting and putting the "." after the lot.
layla_1234
She didn’t know where to go to for advice, her English wasn’t strong and she had no friends. She described herself as ‘trapped'.

In that sentance the ' is right isnt it?

Yes, if you're just citing the single word. If what you mean is "should I use double or single quotation marks", that is entirely arbitrary (you choose, or you follow whatever style is expected by your professors/journal). Just be consistent.
Reply 6
Thanks Frenchie x

Latest

Trending

Trending