The Student Room Group

Afghan foetus 'aborted by sharp razor'

Nothing like 21st century science...

They even had to bury the little baby, probably even had a beating heart, poor little thing was probably wondering where the food went...probably starved to death in the dirt

The family of a 14-year-old Afghan rape victim face prosecution after her foetus was removed without anaesthetic.

The mother and brother of the girl are accused of cutting her open with a razor blade to perform an abortion.

Doctors say the girl is in a critical condition. A man accused of raping her is under arrest, officials say.

Rape victims and their families in Afghanistan often feel ashamed to report what has happened because people may think the victim consented to sex.

Sex outside marriage is illegal in Afghanistan.

'Dog bite'

The governor of Bamiyan Province, Habiba Sarabi, says that action is being taken.

When the girl was five months pregnant it is alleged her mother and brother took her to a stables and cut her open with a razor blade.

They removed the foetus, which they buried,
before stitching up her wound, Governor Sarabi said.

The father eventually took the girl to get medical treatment.

Dr Ghulam Mohammad Nader, head of Bamiyan hospital, said the girl is in a critical condition, but that she had been able to explain what had happened to her.

"The girl stayed at home for three or four days in her condition until her father took her to hospital," Dr Nader said.

"He said a dog had bitten her so that people in the area wouldn't know what had really happened."

The girl has now been transferred to Kabul for treatment.

The provincial governor says the man accused of raping the girl has been arrested and that police are trying to arrest her mother and brother.

The victims of rape and their families in Afghanistan are often afraid to admit what has happened to them because of the stigma and shame attached to the issue.

Sometimes the victims are murdered by their own families.

Critics accuse the authorities of not taking accusations of rape seriously, especially those made by children.

But President Karzai recently called for rapists to be brought to justice and the Afghan Supreme Court suspended three judges who acquitted people accused of rape.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7815896.stm

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Afghanistan is like a post apocalyptic nuclear wasteland. Even down to the rampaging robots.
Reply 2
Terrible.
Reply 3
DIY abortions? Do not want!

It's horrible to hear about that, I hope the mother is locked away for a long time.
Reply 4
Oh my god :frown:
Reply 5
thats horrible!

what gets me is that her own family cut her open
1st rape .. then this
I don't know why I read that, I knew it would upset me, and it did. It makes my mind boggle how in the C21st things like this can still go on. How a Mother could do that to her own daughter defies belief, it's sickening. That poor poor girl.
That's awful.
Dear me. The poor girl. And some rape victims get murdered by their own families? ffs, what is wrong with people. Rape victims need support, not punishment!

It makes me glad to have been born in the UK :sadnod:
Reply 9
Bad things are bad. :frown:
Reply 10
i'm really glad that i don't live in afghanistan
Reply 11
That's so horrible :frown:
I feel more sorry for the girl than the foetus, tbh.

Worse things than this happen and go unreported every day, but yes, terrible, terrible.
randomgirl
Dear me. The poor girl. And some rape victims get murdered by their own families? ffs, what is wrong with people. Rape victims need support, not punishment!

It makes me glad to have been born in the UK :sadnod:

Didn't RE in school teach you to be understanding of other cultures :p:
Yes this is awful, but abortion is a physically and morally disgusting act in any sense.
Reply 15
wow...can't believe anyone could even think about doing something like that to someone else...never mind their own daughter who's already gone through the trauma that's rape:|
Reply 16
I find it disgusting but you have to understand that we regard rape as a trauma etc but they don't view it like that. That girls parents would have 100% believed that the girl brought it on herself and that they were doing her a favour by saving her "honour". If she had had the baby or had it been known that she was pregnant her prospects in life would be severely reduced and she may have even been murdered. I am not saying that what they did was right but you have to understand the parents perspective. What countries like this need is education and understanding it is only through this that they have a chance of changing for the better.
cowsgoquack
Didn't RE in school teach you to be understanding of other cultures :p:

Nobody in their right mind would want to live in a place where rape victims are made to feel ashamed.
Reply 18
LR_Jones07
Yes this is awful, but abortion is a physically and morally disgusting act in any sense.

Why so?
LR_Jones07
Everyone should have the right to the choice whether or not to abort, if they don't situations like this happen

Latest

Trending

Trending