The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A - G481 Mechanics - [13/01/09][@1400]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
LOL, dunno tbh, don't think it would look too good on OCR introducing a compressed syllabus, supposed to make much better learning quicker and easier to learn, and then everyone gets LOW grades...
Just looked on the site again, found the data sheet here: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Data/publications/assessment_materials/AS_Level_Physics_A_SAM_Data_Sheet.pdf

They also give you how to get the circumference of a circle, and even Pythagoras.
:rolleyes:
Reply 102
dave2k
LOL, dunno tbh, don't think it would look too good on OCR introducing a compressed syllabus, supposed to make much better learning quicker and easier to learn, and then everyone gets LOW grades...

Then whats the point in Being Assessed?
They may as well shorten the spec to "Physics is Fun", then ask you to recall that in the exam.

Then EVERYONE would get 100%.
Reply 103
this is stupidness

what is the point of giving all that in the formula booklet!

define young modulus is a 1 mark quesstion and then they give it in the booklet!

we should all write next to any question "thanks for writing it in the formula booklet" if it is a question where the equation is given in the booklet!
Reply 104
beesbees
Just looked on the site again, found the data sheet here: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Data/publications/assessment_materials/AS_Level_Physics_A_SAM_Data_Sheet.pdf

They also give you how to get the circumference of a circle, and even Pythagoras.
:rolleyes:

THEY GIVE THEM EVERY SINGLE EQUATION IN PHYSICS, they only gave us 5 equations so i have had to learn the rest.

Next they should take out the exam and give them pretty pictures to colour in.:rolleyes:
neomilan
this is stupidness

what is the point of giving all that in the formula booklet!

define young modulus is a 1 mark quesstion and then they give it in the booklet!

we should all write next to any question "thanks for writing it in the formula booklet" if it is a question where the equation is given in the booklet!

This.
I would incourage all to look at the specification exam for 2008 physics A

I wasted 2 days memorising all the formulas and crap aghhh!

good luck though.

Some of you will be more relaxed knowing you won't have to remember anything lol
Reply 107
Only ones I wasn't too sure of was circumference and efficiency, so those might come in useful for me, but for the others, I just wasted time memorising them.

Surely they won't have the definition questions now, if they are all written there?? Anyone with half a brain in GCSE Science can figure out what each letter stands for...
I have a feeling this paper won't be easy >_<
Reply 108
Double Post
Reply 109
i just looked on one page in the OCR physics revision book (one with big sun on front)
and it says that we are given that list of formulas stated above!!

Oh my God

that is a complete joke

so define young modulus... ITS IN THE DAMN PAPER
Reply 110
Just recived a massive confident boost when I looed at the examiners report for the last few years and founf the grade buondaries are usually around 40/60 for an A.
Reply 111
InsaneBob
Just recived a massive confident boost when I looed at the examiners report for the last few years and founf the grade buondaries are usually around 40/60 for an A.

:| That.would.be.awesome
I would love it to be that in this exam, then I am nearly guaranteed a B minimum!:biggrin:
InsaneBob

I know right!

I've been getting between 43-50 in the mocks weve been doing in class, and everyone seems to labour under the impression that this is a B because its between 70-80%.

I've tried to explain it doesn't work like that, and that it's 70-80% of the UMS marks NOT raw marks but to no avail... :p:
I assumed that for an A you would need to get at least 48 out of 60 marks.

Everyone revise trilateration!!! I'm pretty sure it will come up since it's the only thing that's really new to the syllabus.

Hopefully deriving equations will come up too. I haven't spent hours trying to derive them for nothing.
Reply 114
Poshtotty
I assumed that for an A you would need to get at least 48 out of 60 marks.

Everyone revise trilateration!!! I'm pretty sure it will come up since it's the only thing that's really new to the syllabus.

Hopefully deriving equations will come up too. I haven't spent hours trying to derive them for nothing.

Unless there's been a change to the spec to that effect, the only derivations you're expected to be able to do is the equations for motion with constant acceleration (the 'suvat' ones)
Reply 115
Has anyone got a list of all the correct definitions we need to know or knows a place to find them? Because I dont know what words we may be askedto define and also some books have differen definitions.
Do you guys think there won't be any more definition questions since they have given the formulae?

Will the boundaried be higher maybe because of this?
Reply 117
annaroberts20
Do you guys think there won't be any more definition questions since they have given the formulae?

They could still ask for definitions in words I guess. The boundaries will be determned based on how well everyone does. If anything I'd have thought the boundaries would be even lower if they omit definition questions as they're frequently the 'warm up' questions and are easy marks.
Reply 118
annaroberts20

the specimen had definition questions
Reply 119
neomilan
the specimen had derivation questions

definition?? No derivation:p:

People who hardly revised for this are VERY lucky now that they give you equations...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending