Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much does it cost a small engine car to run per mile?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay so im driving to college now, and i have the smallest engine you can get.. i think its 1.2 .... my dad says it will cost 10p/mile... is that about right?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mizzsnazzter)
    Okay so im driving to college now, and i have the smallest engine you can get.. i think its 1.2 .... my dad says it will cost 10p/mile... is that about right?
    1. a 1.2 is not the smallest engine you can get.

2. It depends on the car, weight of contents of the car, tyre pressure, road surface etc etc etc
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i dont really see why you'd need to look at it as cost per mile.
    work out how much it costs to fill up your tank, and then how many miles this gives you and that way you can work out the cost per mile.
    and anyway i think its more 15-20p
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lampshade)
    1. a 1.2 is not the smallest engine you can get.

2. It depends on the car, weight of contents of the car, tyre pressure, road surface etc etc etc
    well just roughly, for a small car, nothing in the car, and smooth surface, yknow general driving
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alixxxxxx1)
    i dont really see why you'd need to look at it as cost per mile.
    work out how much it costs to fill up your tank, and then how many miles this gives you and that way you can work out the cost per mile.
    and anyway i think its more 15-20p
    Thats what i thought, and im trying to work it out soon because my dad will only pay for me to drive to school and not to work so i need to work out the mileage etc....
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    well just roughly, for a small car, nothing in the car, and smooth surface, yknow general driving
    it depends on so many things. Your driving style is another factor.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you want cheap motoring get a 125- over a hundred miles to the gallon, 15quid a year tax, insurance for a few hundred, and you can't wheelie a car:p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thats what i thought, and im trying to work it out soon because my dad will only pay for me to drive to school and not to work so i need to work out the mileage etc....
    ohhh i see....wel id say 20p a mile.
    maybe just agree say £5 a week if your school is 2 miles away...£10 if 4 miles etc...
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madsporkmurderer)
    If you want cheap motoring get a 125- over a hundred miles to the gallon, 15quid a year tax, insurance for a few hundred, and you can't wheelie a car:p:
    But, you're much less likely to become an organ donor in a car.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    is it true that going in a higher gear uses less petrol?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    10p per mile is probably only about petrol cost. It's what GM pay in expenses for petrol anyway (having said that VW pay 40p :O ) once you take tax, consumables, car, servicing, insurance etc, it's more like double that, decreasing if you do lots of miles.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alixxxxxx1)
    ohhh i see....wel id say 20p a mile.
    maybe just agree say £5 a week if your school is 2 miles away...£10 if 4 miles etc...
    well my school is 10miles away, and im getting £10 a week...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If i push it I can get 50 to the gallon, petrol is 82p a litre at the moment, so that comes to 13.2p a mile in petrol.

Though the total cost of running a car is much more.

I think to cover everything you probably want to look at about 30p a mile.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CLF)
    is it true that going in a higher gear uses less petrol?
    Higher gear = less revs = less fuel injected into engine so yeah

If you want to be fuel efficient you should be in 5th for any sustained travel at 30mph+
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    If i push it I can get 50 to the gallon, petrol is 82p a litre at the moment, so that comes to 13.2p a mile in petrol.
    Check your maths, 36mpg costs me 10.5ppm.

But total running costs are 60ppm, if you include depreciation, fuel, tyres, insurance, etc etc.

If your charging your dad, charge him 20ppm each way, so 10 miles away would be £4 a day. £20 a week sounds about right, but at what your getting from him at the minuet you'll maybe just cover petrol. Depends how much profit you want to make.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joeyXCORE)
    Higher gear = less revs = less fuel injected into engine so yeah

If you want to be fuel efficient you should be in 5th for any sustained travel at 30mph+
    5th at 30 would be less efficient than 4th a 30. Your engine in 5th will be just over tickover and if you need more power, going up a hill, accelerating, etc, it will have to inject loads of fuel to try and make up for having such low torque.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you are doing a short trip to college you will get less miles for your pennies. This is because the car has to warm up, heat the engine block and oil and by that time your at college and it cools down again.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    5th at 30 would be less efficient than 4th a 30. Your engine in 5th will be just over tickover and if you need more power, going up a hill, accelerating, etc, it will have to inject loads of fuel to try and make up for having such low torque.
    Sorry yeah i meant on a straight road at constant speed though
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Mine's smaller than yours! I've got 0.6!

First and last time I get to boast on being smaller in a department methinks on a motoring forum!

Assuming the principals hold true for a modern car in terms of fuel use, I know that to do 30 in 4th (4 speed gear box), I'm on both chokes, whereas for 30 in third only the small one opens up. Straight line and speed etc.

Could you wire up a vacuum gauge to incestigate this?

[that typo ticked me so much on proof reading I'm going to leave it in, maybe even make it habit]
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It costs what it costs.
    That is all.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 9, 2009
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.