The Student Room Group
Reply 1
nope. never heard anything about that.
Reply 2
Even for specific courses at University, say for example, if applied for a ABB course and you get AAA?
Reply 3
This surely has to depend on the universities you applied to and if they have such scholarships or not.
Reply 4
Some universities do, yes.
Loughborough for example
Look in individual prospectuses to find out if they do though
sheffield might too?
Some unis do, yes. Or just bursaries :smile: Sheffield has the bursary calculator on most of the course pages if you have a look, based on your household income AND your grades at A2.
Yeah, some universities do that.
I know that my offer for Liverpool for English literature is AAB. But if i get AAA then i get £1000+ academic scholarship. I think the same is for Royal Holloway and Reading, but don't quote me on that.
Reply 7
Ahh okay thanks, that is quality
This tends to be at unis you probably wouldn't go to if you had three As, for example Hertfordshire offer one for £2000 a year.
Reply 9
Queens University Belfast does, all for all courses. Even though courses like Law, Denistry, Medicine etc have AAA requirements.
Leinster6
Somebody at school told me, that if you obtain 3 A's at A2, you get a £1000 scholarship.

Just wondering if it is true or just pure rumour?

Thanks

Lol if that was the case, there'd be a lot of scholarships lol.

I think to be selected for a particular scholarship scheme in a uni, 3A's might be a requirement to be valid for selection, but there are probably other things the person needs to have/do.
Ratsr
Yes, many Universitys do this (depends on household income thank god) Manchester use to give £5000, up until the coming academic year, now it's £3000 lol.

So because somebody's parents earn more than x amount, their intelligence and hard work shouldn't be rewarded?!
Ratsr
Rewarded. It's its own award.

Those getting 3 Bs in crappy state schools should get more than people getting 3 As at a private school. Furthermore, very rich people (i.e £30+) should not get as much as poor people.

I meant rewarded for the work they put into getting the grades.
People with extremely rich parents can go to state schools! (many people i know do), and people with not so rich parents can go to private schools (there are bursaries/scholarships you know)!.

Anyway, if my parents were to earn £30k+ then that's them, not me. And besides, that's only £15k each which is way under the national average.

But this isn't meant to be an argument about grants or anything, I'm just saying that I think that universities should give scholarships, if they want to, to everyone who gets those grades.
Reply 13
Well if the entry requirements are less than ABB then probz.
Reply 14
Reading gives £2000 for 3A's for my course. It is really tempting lol.
Leicester offered me GBP 3100x3 scholarship even though my grades are ABB :biggrin:
Ratsr
Life's not fair. Everyone is different, and have different reasons why they do/don't deserve bursaries - just because someone is rich, doesn't mean their parents help them, their parents could have many dependence, they could not talk to their parents, their parents could have loads of debt.

But there is no way to judge everyone as an individual, therefore it is my opinion that the very rich (upper middle class and above) should not receive any bursary, and if there is any reason why they should get it they should bring it up with the university to be judged as special circumstances.

And private school people should not be rewarded, it's not hard to go to a private school and come out with As sorry.

what is hard is going to a **** school, cutting your friends out your life. Not having enough teachers to teach you, eating two meals a day, one of which is disgusting free school meals, having no heating during winter and spending 100% of your time studying only to turn out with Bs. And having constant problems during studying like the fact that your college is in a rival post code so I could be stabbed for entering it, and having many of your friends getting attacked and worse. This paragraph is me I'm only posting this because no one on here knows who I am. I am not trying to make a sob story but just so you can compare.

Now who do you think should be better rewarded if they both got As??

Ok, I'm sorry if the last paragraph applies to your life but that's not the fault of anyone who goes to a private school! If I went to my local state school then I'd be in the same environment as I am at a private school, so your situation is dependent on where you live, and I'm sorry about that. Have you been to many private schools? You don't just turn up to a lesson a week and then get an A, we all work incredibly hard and then balance all this studying with sport, community service, activities etc.
I am at school from 8.30 til 5.15 every day, and then 8.30 to 12.30 on saturdays so yes, we do a hell of a lot of work! And not all the teachers are great (and no we don't eat gourmet meals either), I had to teach myself most of my business studies AS level.

I agree with your idea of rich people not getting bursaries or only getting them in special circumstances, my argument was that the meaning of the word scholarship is that it's a reward for academic excellence, and I think that denying somebody this reward because their parents earn a certain amount of money is ridiculous. I'm fine with limits for bursaries from the government, that's fine in most situations even though it forces parents into uncomfortable situations, but I really don't think that a student's right to this reward should be determined by their parents' jobs. Just because my parents work hard, and both of them work, shouldn't mean that I can't be rewarded for putting the effort into my a-levels.
Ratsr
OK, but how many extremely rich people go to state school? few and those prob all have tutors.

And ya, I know many, many private schools and know many people in them (through going to an affluent primary school, and meeting people through them) and my aquatences (these people aren't my friends :P) were having a discussion about this (4 large London private schools) and only one person had a bursary of 25% off the price and she was upper middle class anyway.

Maybe pull up some statistics on wikipedia about this?
And no the super rich do not need bursaries and it wastes money on those who could really do with the money. Just my opinion.

Most people who are going to get the scholarships aren't "super rich." I know a few extremely rich people, as in multi-millionaires and they're not going to take out the student loans because they don't need them. And I don't think they're going to get scholarships anyway. But there aren't many of them in the whole population.

And nice to know that you won't be friends with anybody who's been to a private school. Personally I think that's really quite disgustingly prejudiced, but your choice. In my school, at least 10% of the students pay hardly anything (literally like 20% of the fees or something) because of major bursaries, probably another 10% get at least a half-fee remission, and then many, many more get scholarhips/combined scholarships+bursaries.

If you're clever enough, most private schools will go out of their way to fund your education.
Reply 18
Ratsr
Rewarded. It's its own award.

Those getting 3 Bs in crappy state schools should get more than people getting 3 As at a private school. Furthermore, very rich people (i.e £30+) should not get as much as poor people.

Thats not 'rich', letalone 'very rich'? imo of course, but baffled :s:

Latest