The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I would think it's a myth. But I don't know the international forms you have to fill in or the ins and outs of the Oxford application process so can't really comment.
Reply 21
Uranium235
This is very reliving and emotionally satisfying to know :smile: , so thanks. One more question: Is it true that oxford is easier to apply for as an international student than cambridge, or is this just a myth?

Well if you applied for Oxford you'd have the option to be interviewed in Vancouver/New York City, whereas if you applied to Cambridge you most likely have to fly there if you want an interview. So in that sense it is easier (on the wallet) to apply for (:
Reply 22
Agneisse
Well if you applied for Oxford you'd have the option to be interviewed in Vancouver/New York City, whereas if you applied to Cambridge you most likely have to fly there if you want an interview. So in that sense it is easier (on the wallet) to apply for (:

Actually i dont really mind going to cambridge for the interview (maybe i'll have a vacation while I'm there:biggrin:
Reply 23
Thanks for the replies so far. One more question before I go to bed :smile: : has anyone every applied from NA (north america) and been offered a place at cambridge?
deleted
Reply 25
Uranium235
Yes but how much of a disadvantage is an international applicant at compared to native applicants?

I know several international students who got in. :yep:
Reply 26
I applied for Arch and Anth and got an offer after being pooled. I'm not too familiar with the IB program (I take AP's) but if you have any other questions, just PM me. :smile:
Reply 27
Uranium235
Thanks for the replies so far. One more question before I go to bed :smile: : has anyone every applied from NA (north america) and been offered a place at cambridge?

Not sure where you are from but applying to the UK is popular with students from Toronto. There's been several offers for both Oxford and Cambridge from the high schools in Toronto. Cambridge is the more popular choice since Sam Blyth offers the undergrad scholarship which helps considerably since attending either university is just as expensive for an overseas student as going to an Ivy league school in the USA...
http://www.blythscholars.com/scholarship.html
As far as I know there is no scholarship for undergrad for Oxford for Canadians. Post grad there is the Rhodes and Gates scholarships. So without a scholarship you need to budget for ~ $50K/yr.
Reply 28
fumblewomble
None. Academically the same is expected of you as a native applicant (though for some international students this will all happen in a foreign language, so there is that difficulty). It is in Cambridge's interest to take the best applicants regardless of where they come from.

The application process will happen as fairly as possible. Obviously, though, international applicants will have to travel further for interviews and may not have the chance to attend any open days. They also won't have help from their schools as some UK students do (though this is something that varies among UK students too). However, all the information you need is available on the web and you can always address questions to the admissions people in your college. Provided that you research your application thoroughly, you will not be at a disadvantage.

Not true, UK unis are obliged to take a minimum number of home applicants by the government which means the international students are limited to a smaller number of places.
Reply 29
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/reporter/2007-08/special/14/table2_1.pdf

There you go - about 1 in 8 overseas applicants get in, about 1 in 4 UK applicants get in. I would also assume that the competition amongst the overseas applicants is fiercer (ie of all the people in another country probably only the best would bother to apply at a prestigious university abroad that even requires you to travel there to have an interview - you would want to have a real chance. But a perfect IB score, by all means, I would definitely give it a go. I got in with a far less impressive score (41 776, my offer was 42 777 in relevant HLs, and we all know those last 4 points are so much harder to get :wink:. So do try. Btw I dont think the difference in style of PS matters so much to the application process - obviously the admission tutors are aware of the differences in tradition here, and since theyre mainly looking for academic ability I dont think the differences in PS would explain away the fact that only half as many overseas students get in, relative to application numbers.

Latest

Trending

Trending