The Student Room Group

Anyone else regret not applying to Oxbridge?

When i first started applying to university i decided not to apply to oxbridge(would've been oxford for physics in my case) because I am really shy and have no confidence, so didnt think i had a chance in the first place, and even if i got a interview i probably would've panicked about it too much. My mum said i would regret not going for it, and she was right. All the peolpe in my maths class have gotten their Cambridge offers recently, and i just feel totally worthless compared to them.
My firm will be Warwick, but i feel like it's not up to standard. I know i've let my uncle down, because he thinks i was stupid not to apply. My parents haven't said anything but i think i let them down as well, along with my friends.
I've lost all motivation to study now, and havent bothered with any revision for my exams, and all my work is just enough to get by without getting in trouble.

I know it's a stupid to say, and most of the replies will be to get over it, but i feel i've screwed up my whole life.

Scroll to see replies

If its that big a deal to you, you could always reject your offers and reapply next year post-gap year. Oxbridge isn't really the be all and end all though, warwicks a good uni!
Reply 2
You have only yourself to blame, assuming that noone forced you not to apply. It's also a bit silly as Warwick is a very good university, it just doesn't have the *wow* effect.

Learn from this. If you don't try, you cannot succeed - this is true for anything that money can't buy. In the future remember this, and do not let "lack of confidence" get the better of you again. The worst that can happen is that you fail & failure is not as bad as it seems (mostly). At least not as bad as not even trying.

However, now there is nothing you can do but (yes) get over it. A gap year probably wouldn't work in your favor for a subject like Physics, unless you manage to get into a lab or something maths-related - it could be fun, however, and do something for your self-esteem. Just think about what you really want to do, and then go and do it.
Nope! I had the potential to go, but never finished my A-Levels. Can't imagine how awfully dull my life would be if I had!
I got the grades but didn't apply to Oxbridge. University reputation means **** to me. Doubt I'd get accepted, not that I want to be accepted in these stuck up universities anyway.
Reply 5
Anonymous

I've lost all motivation to study now, and havent bothered with any revision for my exams, and all my work is just enough to get by without getting in trouble.

I know it's a stupid to say, and most of the replies will be to get over it, but i feel i've screwed up my whole life.

If Oxbridge really means THAT MUCH to you, take a gap year and apply post a-levels, but to do that you need to start working again to make sure you get all As!

Also, remember that even if you had applied, there was no guarantee that you would have been offered a place. I could understand where you were coming from if you had turned down on an actual offer, but you haven't.

Carry on with your A-levels. If you get the grades, then cut your losses and re-apply. But there's absolutely no poing throwing away the hard work all for the sake of moping over two universities who yes, are good, but are not the be-all-and-end-all of a good education.
I regret not opting for boarding school A-levels in the UK, where I would have chosen AS Physics, Economics, History and Maths and scored at least AAAB respectively(predicted AAA), which would have at least given me a slight chance to have a shot at Oxbridge. Instead I opted for the IB Diploma, where you have to take at least 2 dreaded subjects which drag your overall score down - in my case, English Literature and Italian Abinitio.
Then again, my IGCSE/GCSE grades were rubbish.. A*A*A*AAAAABC.
Reply 8
As others have said, if it matters to YOU, reject your offers, take a year out and re-apply. However, if you're doing this for others, it's useless. It's really no big deal if you let anyone make it so and puts pressure on you you'll never be happy.
oxbridge are good unis - but they arent exactly in a different league. Warrick is a very good uni.

Btw are you private school or something? more than one person applying to oxbridge?
unless your a girl, dont let people push you around and do what you want to. I want to reject imperial for Bristol and that is exactly what i am intending to do despite predominant of people wantings me to go imp.
you could decline your offers and apply to oxbridge next year - though it is risky. on the other hand, if you really want to give it a last shot, I think you should re-apply. Who knows? you might get in
Reply 12
You're assuming that you WILL get into oxford if you were to apply.

You would feel far more upset if you applied thinking you would get in and then get rejected.

Trust me, I know. lol
Reply 13
Sometimes I regret not taking Eng Lit, History, Maths and Philosophy instead of Bio, Chem, Phys, Maths and History. I would have applied to do English at Cambridge had that been the case.
Reply 14
In reply to some of the questions:
I am a girl
I'm not private schooled but just go to a good sixth form, and my maths class is full of really smart people.
Reply 15
Pillar of Autumn
Then again, my IGCSE/GCSE grades were rubbish.. A*A*A*AAAAABC.

:eyebrow:
Reply 16
anti isreali
unless your a girl, dont let people push you around and do what you want to. I want to reject imperial for Bristol and that is exactly what i am intending to do despite predominant of people wantings me to go imp.

Dear God.
x
Reply 17
Anonymous
In reply to some of the questions:
I am a girl
I'm not private schooled but just go to a good sixth form, and my maths class is full of really smart people.

Girl doing physics :eyeball:

Anyway, I wouldn't bother in taking out a gap year - it's only a three year course, no? If you're really desperate to get into oxbridge; you could always always apply there for your masters degree.
Reply 18
Girls can do physics!
It's a 4 year course, come out with masters at the end.

I really don't think i would take a gap year as i have no idea what i'd do anyway, my parents think i wouldn't go back to education, and i've been looking forward to getting stuck into some proper physics. Which just makes me feel like i've missed an opportunity even more.
Reply 19
Anonymous
Girls can do physics!
It's a 4 year course, come out with masters at the end.

I really don't think i would take a gap year as i have no idea what i'd do anyway, my parents think i wouldn't go back to education, and i've been looking forward to getting stuck into some proper physics. Which just makes me feel like i've missed an opportunity even more.

Well, then go to Warwick and do exactly that! Sounds good to me.

If you really want, you can then do a PhD at Oxford, although once you finish your degree, I think you will have grown beyond the Oxbridge hype & I would invite you to Geneva, anyway, more money here. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending