The Student Room Group

Why do you want to join the RAF?

Ok guys, im just writting up my answer to this question, so im prepared in the filter interview and can just reel off my answer, as opposed to just sitting there thinking, and looking like a lemon.

Now this how iv gone about answering the question:

Iv started off by talking briefly about the my childhood where iv always been fanscinated by the military, armed forces. Then also talked briefly about my interest of the forces through my school life. Obviously leading upto today where then ill start giving reasons for me wanting to join. Such as 'Want to travel the world' etc etc...

what im asking guys is ... are they looking for abit of background like that (or should i say a history of my life! ha)
or are they just looking for you to reel off bullet points quick and snappy without the life story?

Thanks Paul

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Try to include a little bit of background, it's good for them to know that you haven't just decided one day six months ago that you wanted to join the RAF. If you do a list of pro's and con's for joining the RAF then the list of pro's will provide you with the real reasons that you want to join. In my answer iv provided 5 points for why I want to join the RAF and I have included that I had an interest in the RAF when my great grandad showed me his bronze oakleaf when i was young and then the ATC further fostered my interest in the RAF and provided me with various opportunities to experience the RAF lifestyle...haven't looked back since. As long as you make it personal and it isn't just a generic answer that you think they want to hear, I think it's possible to answer that question really well :-)
Reply 2
smoggy52
I have included that I had an interest in the RAF when my great grandad showed me his bronze oakleaf when i was young

Yeah stuff like that stick in your head when your young.

As for me, It sounds cliché, and everybody who joins may say it, but the thought of the military has been in my head since I was very young. Military toys, such as guns, action figures were a must have for me. I used to play ‘army’ with my friends. You know how kids do, so the base of it was always there for me... but im guessing they hear that alot! but those are my facts!
Reply 3
smoggy52
Try to include a little bit of background, it's good for them to know that you haven't just decided one day six months ago that you wanted to join the RAF. If you do a list of pro's and con's for joining the RAF then the list of pro's will provide you with the real reasons that you want to join. In my answer iv provided 5 points for why I want to join the RAF and I have included that I had an interest in the RAF when my great grandad showed me his bronze oakleaf when i was young and then the ATC further fostered my interest in the RAF and provided me with various opportunities to experience the RAF lifestyle...haven't looked back since. As long as you make it personal and it isn't just a generic answer that you think they want to hear, I think it's possible to answer that question really well :-)

:eyeball:

It's a thirty minute interview, not your autobiography.

Your answers should be clear, concise and answering the question you have actually been given.

Military personnel don't like faff, they deal with enough of it anyway. If your interviewer wants you to expand on a point, they will ask.
Reply 4
PasserBy9

Your answers should be clear, concise and answering the question you have actually been given.

Military personnel don't like faff, they deal with enough of it anyway. If your interviewer wants you to expand on a point, they will ask.

so it should be clear cut, bullet point style, each reason reeled of one after the other?

PasserBy9
:It's a thirty minute interview, not your autobiography..

lol @ autobiography, but thought it was 45 min - 1 hour?
Reply 5
I don't want to say 'Yes' as it may give the wrong idea, but close to.

There is a line between being unsociably prompt and waffling. The aim is to answer that question and not to go completely off topic. You have to learn for yourself as to what point you just start talking for the fun of hearing your own voice.

If it is any comfort, most Interviewers won't have a problem with letting you know that you are jabbering incoherently.
Reply 6
I don't!

Whatever gave you that idea?
Reply 7
PasserBy9
I don't want to say 'Yes' as it may give the wrong idea, but close to.

There is a line between being unsociably prompt and waffling. The aim is to answer that question and not to go completely off topic. You have to learn for yourself as to what point you just start talking for the fun of hearing your own voice.

If it is any comfort, most Interviewers won't have a problem with letting you know that you are jabbering incoherently.

Yeah you are right... but im also assuming ''Why do you want to join the RAF'' will be the question they expect to last the longest, as in you should have lots to say, i also take into consideration what you said about waffling on though, i certainly had now intention on doing that! ha, but ill try keep it to a minimum

Drummer23
I don't!

Whatever gave you that idea?

lol
Reply 8
ph0en1x23
lol @ autobiography, but thought it was 45 min - 1 hour?

You're probably right on the amount of time it will take, it was around that sort of length. All depends on how quickly you answer all the questions.

The Interviewer will like you more if you finish early, gives them a couple of minutes to get a Brew and to flick through the Sun ... for current affairs knowledge of course.
Reply 9
PasserBy9

The Interviewer will like you more if you finish early, gives them a couple of minutes to get a Brew and to flick through the Sun ... for current affairs knowledge of course.

lol... thats something else that crossed my mind, alot of it is down to the interviewer.... somebody could know absolutly everything about the RAF and answer everything ''correctly' but if the interviewer doesnt like him... will he pass him?

Some people may come in and have a mediocere knowledge of the RAF and have an OK interview, but could be a really nice guy, get on well with the interviewer and have a better chance of passing, does this make sense?
The selection procedures have been fully audited and stand up to external scrutiny. Those interviewing are well trained and exceptionally impartial.

Actually - IT DOESN'T MATTER! YOU are there being YOU. YOU are not up against anyone else except YOU. YOU can't change the performance of anyone else, so forget them and concentrate on your own game. Stop faffing and thinking too hard.
The interviews are recorded in order to make sure that the interviewers aren't being unfairly biased in any way.

However, a 'Pass' or not isn't just based on how much you do or don't know. So, yes, if you completely annoy them, they can still fail you.

At the end of the day, the main question they will be asking in their head is, "Do I want to work with this person?"
Reply 12
ph0en1x23
Yeah you are right... but im also assuming ''Why do you want to join the RAF'' will be the question they expect to last the longest

I don't think that's true. I think the main thing you need to remember is that you have to come across as a well rounded person who appears cool, confident and easy to work with. If the recruiter believes you have the potential to be the most amazing serviceman to date, they'll want you to be a part of RAF, regardless of why you're interested - as long as you show a level of commitment.

E.g. when I went to the AFCO I just turned up to find out what it was all about, I was a walk-in, no appointment or anything. At the end of the visit I was filling in a few 'forms of interest'. My girlfriend was there. While I was doing all this paperwork, the recruiter made a blatant effort to make her apply for an officer job, as she's currently studying for a degree. If she went forward with the application, how would she have explained her reasons for joining - "because you wanted me to?!" So basically what I'm saying is I don't think you need to demonstrate a lifelong ambition to do it. Just show that you know what you're applying for and why you think it's a good idea.

If I were to be asked why I wanted to join the RAF, I wouldn't be able to say anything about my lifelong childhood interest in the military, as it's just not true. Someone suggested it to me about a month ago, I did a bit of research and it looked like something I'd enjoy for the rest of my life. Of course I'd elaborate on that in real life but I won't do it in this post as i's a bit besides the point.
Reply 13
stuart955
I don't think that's true. I think the main thing you need to remember is that you have to come across as a well rounded person who appears cool, confident and easy to work with. If the recruiter believes you have the potential to be the most amazing serviceman to date, they'll want you to be a part of RAF, regardless of why you're interested - as long as you show a level of commitment.

E.g. when I went to the AFCO I just turned up to find out what it was all about, I was a walk-in, no appointment or anything. At the end of the visit I was filling in a few 'forms of interest'. My girlfriend was there. While I was doing all this paperwork, the recruiter made a blatant effort to make her apply for an officer job, as she's currently studying for a degree. If she went forward with the application, how would she have explained her reasons for joining - "because you wanted me to?!" So basically what I'm saying is I don't think you need to demonstrate a lifelong ambition to do it. Just show that you know what you're applying for and why you think it's a good idea.

If I were to be asked why I wanted to join the RAF, I wouldn't be able to say anything about my lifelong childhood interest in the military, as it's just not true. Someone suggested it to me about a month ago, I did a bit of research and it looked like something I'd enjoy for the rest of my life. Of course I'd elaborate on that in real life but I won't do it in this post as i's a bit besides the point.

well said... think i could agree with that
Reply 14
PasserBy9

All of the other answers I've prepared are concise and to the point but this is a question that I felt a little bit of detail wouldnt hurt. I dont want them to be left with any doubt that a career in the RAF is what i want.
Because I have no interest in anything remotely military, want to spend my 'career' in hotel-style accommodation with high quality food, trap off with all the girls by lying that I'm a fast jet pilot, and repeating 'I'd love to mate, but it's more than my job's worth' to any and all squaddies that need anything.

(:p:)

I'm kidding, but I'm only posting this because I tire of CrabStacker's broken records about me being SAS. Besides, I've just spent this weekend out on the ground in a hole and it was ****ing freezing!
I can call you 'yellow' if you prefer that over SAS. Your call.

We check in - not dig in.
ProStacker
I can call you 'yellow' if you prefer that over SAS. Your call.

We check in - not dig in.

:sleep:
Reply 18
It's worth remembering your answer to this: on the first day of OASC candidates are given a few forms to fill out, one of which has a box in which the answer to the request "state why you are seeking to join the RAF as a commissioned officer or NCO Aircrew".

They do like to keep you on your toes :p:
Just a quick note on timings, the filter interview is 45 minutes long, however it can go over if the interviewer allowes it as they have a little more flexibility.

At OASC the interview is 45 minutes longbut this stays to the minute as they have alot of candidates to go through and will get all the info they need in that time.

In Answer to the question why do i want to join the RAF, you can only be honest about it. Its a feeling that is personal to everyone really wishing to join. try not to waffle be punchy, concise and truthful- don't just try and say what you think they want to hear- Strength of character is a good indicator to life experience.

Latest