The Student Room Group

Help For A Friend-Options

My friend cant decide whether she wants to be a journalist or a doctor (Completely different I know)

She wants to keep her A-Level options open to both of these career paths.
She has already chosen English Lit, History, Biology and Chemistry.

Should she chose one more option that links with both careers or another subject that she would like to do or should she even chose to do another A-level??

Thanks

EDIT: My friend wants to study either English and History OR Biochemistry at university!
Reply 1
Is general studies compulsory if it is I would recommend not taking any more A levels?
If its not compulsory - 4 is tbh enough but if shes capable and really wants to then she could do another A Level ... Psychology or Sociology? - psyc is more for medicine but I think they may link with journalism a bit too not too sure though
Reply 2
Yeah, psychology or sociology sound like good 'link' subjects, of those I think sociology is easier (less to memorise), however I don't really know.

Other options would be Philosophy/RE (which contains a lot of stuff that is relevant to one or the other, like ethics, moral philosophy, political philosophy etc.) or Law, maybe?

Or a foreign language.
Reply 3
She needs maths, surely?
Reply 4
FireDeuce
She needs maths, surely?

No, she doesn't.
Reply 5
i don't know much about journalism, but I would imagine that you need Eng Lit, so she should keep that. However for Medicine, quite a few of the unis ask for Maths at least to AS. This doesn't apply to all of the medical schools, but to quite a few, so she would cutting down her options considerably if she didn't take up AS Maths.

Therefore, if I were her, I would do:
Eng Lit, Biology and Chemistry full A levels.
Take History AS in yr12 (not sure what year she is in!)
Then in yr 13 drop History and take up Maths AS, thus giving her 3 full A levels and 2 AS levels.
However, a better solution may be to take AS Maths in yr 12 and not do history at all.

These solutions then guve you the right subjects for medicine, as well being well respected subjects so that she could still apply to journalism if she wants.

If she is considering medicine then she should also make sure that she gets plenty of work experience in - even if she eventually decides that medicine is not for her, it still looks good on a uni application/CV.
Reply 6
Tinny
i don't know much about journalism, but I would imagine that you need Eng Lit, so she should keep that. However for Medicine, quite a few of the unis ask for Maths at least to AS. This doesn't apply to all of the medical schools, but to quite a few, so she would cutting down her options considerably if she didn't take up AS Maths.

Therefore, if I were her, I would do:
Eng Lit, Biology and Chemistry full A levels.
Take History AS in yr12 (not sure what year she is in!)
Then in yr 13 drop History and take up Maths AS, thus giving her 3 full A levels and 2 AS levels.
However, a better solution may be to take AS Maths in yr 12 and not do history at all.

These solutions then guve you the right subjects for medicine, as well being well respected subjects so that she could still apply to journalism if she wants.

If she is considering medicine then she should also make sure that she gets plenty of work experience in - even if she eventually decides that medicine is not for her, it still looks good on a uni application/CV.

what?? Really which uni's cuz I havent took Maths AS and I'm in my 1st year of sixth form?
Chemistry, English Lit are the only 'compulsory' ones. Maths and Biology (pre. maths) would help a lot with medicine
Reply 8
llys
No, she doesn't.

Yes, she does.
She says she wants to be a journalist or a doctor. Some will want either 3 sciences or maths and two sciences.
Reply 9
Tinny

Really? This official compilation of medical school entry requirements suggests otherwise.

Not dissing maths BTW - it's a great subject and if she likes it, by all means take it. It is not officially *required* for med school though. Even at Cambridge there are only a few colleges who prefer three sciences or two sciences and maths.
Reply 10
FireDeuce
Yes, she does.
She says she wants to be a journalist or a doctor. Some will want either 3 sciences or maths and two sciences.

See above - only some colleges at Cambridge specify three sciences and/or maths. To my knowledge, no other med school specifies more than two science subjects. You're welcome to prove me wrong though :p: - but please link.
llys
Really? This official compilation of medical school entry requirements suggests otherwise.

Not dissing maths BTW - it's a great subject and if she likes it, by all means take it. It is not officially *required* for med school though. Even at Cambridge there are only a few colleges who prefer three sciences or two sciences and maths.

Cambridge says no.

Birmingham: "Chemistry and (Biology or Physics or Mathematics). These are the minimum requirements, but most candidates exceed these."
I'm sure most universities will want three sciences (including Maths)?
I don't know if this is me being not as errr... clever as some people, but four A Levels can be quite tough. If she chooses another subject then she will have less time to spend on the other subjects and her grades may slip. It depends if she thinks she can handle 5 A Levels, they are much tougher than GCSEs. Do schools even offer 5 A Levels, the most we were allowed to do was 4 + General Studies. But if she really wants to do another A Level i'd recommend maybe a science, or psychology. Something that may help to be a doctor (I duno where psychology comes in being a doctor lol).
Reply 14
Here is what Cambridge says:
Cambridge
Please note that most applicants for Medicine and Veterinary Medicine at Cambridge have at least three science/mathematics A levels. Applicants with two science/mathematics A levels will be expected to have scientific ability comparable with those who are taking three and will, wherever possible, be considered equally with them. Such applicants may be asked to take a third science/mathematics subject to AS level.

All Colleges strongly prefer applicants to have Chemistry A level.

The following Colleges prefer applicants to have three science/mathematics subjects at A level: Christ’s, Jesus, Magdalene, Newnham, St John’s, and Trinity. In the case of Magdalene, this must also include A level Mathematics.

Colleges (except Christ’s, St John’s and Trinity) will, exceptionally, consider applicants taking only one science subject at A level, provided this subject is Chemistry. In this case you will still be expected to show a very high level of scientific ability. You are likely to be disadvantaged in all Colleges when compared with those of comparable ability taking more science/mathematics A levels.

Meaning even if you apply to Cambridge, you don't need more than two sciences if you apply to the right college. However, if you are worried about it, you can just apply to Oxford instead; they only ask for two sciences.

Oxford
Students are selected for their scientific ability and their aptitude for medicine. Applicants are expected to show that they have a realistic understanding of what a career in medicine will involve, and that they have the potential to become effective and caring doctors. All colleges use a common set of selection criteria that relate to academic potential and suitability for medicine. Please note that we have no preference for whether the third or further A-levels or equivalent qualifications are in Science or Arts subjects.
Reply 15
Revolution is my Name
I'm sure most universities will want three sciences (including Maths)?

No. This is just a TSR rumour, and will be so, unless you can provide evidence to the contrary. (Excluding *some* - not even all - colleges at Cambridge.)
Reply 16
FireDeuce
Cambridge says no.

Birmingham: "Chemistry and (Biology or Physics or Mathematics). These are the minimum requirements, but most candidates exceed these."

But that translates as "two sciences/maths including chemistry" (=maths is just one option, biology is equally acceptable), not three sciences/maths! Unless you've quote it the wrong way?
I want to go into Sports Journalism and would advise Media Studies as a subject to do... :smile:
FireDeuce
Yes, she does.

No.
Most say chemistry and another science are essential. You don't need maths.

Latest