The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Scots law I assume? If so, Glasgow?
Reply 2
Aberdeen is one of the most highly rated I hear.
Reply 3
Within Scotland Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen are seen as being much the same (maybe Aberdeen a little lower down, and people always seem to be arguing over the "best" of the other two).

But for some reason Doon Sooth they seem to see Edinburgh as being "the" Scottish uni for law. :s-smilie: So I suppose if you want to ever go down that route Edinburgh would probably/possibly be best. Glasgow especially REALLY doesn't get the rep. it deserves.
Reply 4
St Andrews or Glasgow
Reply 5
Probably Edinburgh/Aberdeen? but I'm not 100% sure... it's more based on hearsay, some of which may be factual.
Reply 6
Areontas
Probably Edinburgh/Aberdeen/St Andrews, but I'm not 100% sure... it's more based on hearsay, some of which may be factual.

St Andrews don't have a law school. So probably not. :p:
Reply 7
RockyRoad
St Andrews don't have a law school. So probably not. :p:

Yeah, I edited it straightaway but you were too quick! :p:
Reply 8
would say Glasgow and Edinburgh are about equal as the best (though in my experience you need higher grades to get into Glasgow), with Aberdeen not too far behind, and as a law school Strathclyde seems to be fairly well respected as well.

Just thought I should add, i know Strathcylde is definitely well respected as a law school within the Glasgow area from work experience with lawyers etc but have no clue about whether it is in the rest of Scotland :P From a friend who did a bit of law at Strathclyde, the teaching style was fairly different to Glasgow, so it may be worth looking into that sort of thing for your unis, as there really isn't much between the top ones.
Reply 9
I'm at Strathclyde but it is a well respected law school - far more respected than the university, haha.
Reply 10
In terms of league tables Aberdeen is the best law school in Scotland. However, I would say that it would be: 1. Edinburgh 2. Aberdeen <Considerable Gap> 3. Glasgow/Strathclyde. 4. Dundee.

Edinburgh is very good in terms of the general reputation of the University. Also, due to it's position it provides unrivalled exposure to the Scottish Courts and, for that reason (amongst others), many of the other Scottish university's best staff are regularly poached to Edinburgh.

Aberdeen does very well in terms of legal training. It is greatly respected by law firms, is number one in terms of league tables and benefits greatly from it's small campus.

Glasgow/Strathclyde - both well respected. I would say Glasgow Law school is suffering from the wider financial problems at the uni. It does have some highly respected members of staff though! Strathclyde meanwhile is probably the most innovative law school in Scotland. It embraces new technologies and really does lead the way in terms of teaching law in the 21st century.

If you are considering an undergrad I would go to Aberdeen or Strathclyde and do Postgrad/DLP at Edinburgh.

Advocation x :cool:
Reply 11
Advocation
I would say Glasgow Law school is suffering from the wider financial problems at the uni.

erm they're building a brand new law school so i wouldnt say its doing too badly financially :p:
Reply 12
Yeah, they're building a new law school that, most would agree, is long overdue.
Reply 13
Advocation
Yeah, they're building a new law school that, most would agree, is long overdue.

how? the one we've got at the minute is fine, have you been in it? I liked it better than Edinburgh anyway lol. i don't know where you're getting the law school is underfunded from, i've never heard anyone say anything to that effect and can't find anything to that effect on the internet:confused:
Reply 14
vickiii
how? the one we've got at the minute is fine, have you been in it? I liked it better than Edinburgh anyway lol. i don't know where you're getting the law school is underfunded from, i've never heard anyone say anything to that effect and can't find anything to that effect on the internet:confused:

Yeah, agree with the Edinburgh bit. Did you feel like you had intruded on the tour ... like you had arrived four days early and nobody expected you? Just me?!

It's well known that Glasgow Uni is suffering financially. The worst of the problem is to my knowledge over but, they have lost - as a University generally (I hasten to add) - a number of good staff (due to salaries being less competitive) and failed to update a number of key resources. I defer to you on the law school particularly though, not being a student there I don't have first hand experience ... but the rumour mill about a year ago was rife about turbulence at the Glasgow. Are you enjoying it?

Advocation X
Reply 15
Advocation
Yeah, agree with the Edinburgh bit. Did you feel like you had intruded on the tour ... like you had arrived four days early and nobody expected you? Just me?!

It's well known that Glasgow Uni is suffering financially. The worst of the problem is to my knowledge over but, they have lost - as a University generally (I hasten to add) - a number of good staff (due to salaries being less competitive) and failed to update a number of key resources. I defer to you on the law school particularly though, not being a student there I don't have first hand experience ... but the rumour mill about a year ago was rife about turbulence at the Glasgow. Are you enjoying it?

Advocation X

yeah just didn't really like the feel of edinburgh over all. Yeah I've heard a lot particuarly of the GUU being in a lot of debt, havent heard so much about the uni generally. Well haven't noticed anything lacking in the law school, im even in two minds about the new law school because i quite like the building its in. :p: Also the law school anyway seems to have plenty of really good staff, and yeah i love it, love the course and the uni in general :biggrin: are you at uni atm?
Reply 16
Aberdeen then Edinburgh
Reply 17
Advocation

Edinburgh is very good in terms of the general reputation of the University. Also, due to it's position it provides unrivalled exposure to the Scottish Courts and, for that reason (amongst others), many of the other Scottish university's best staff are regularly poached to Edinburgh.

The Scottish Law Commission has it's home in Edinburgh, the University's position as a leading research institution for Law, it's size compared to other Law schools (largest Undergraduate student body for Law I believe) and many of Scotland's leading academics and judges are Edinburgh alumni - this may count towards why Edinburgh has some of the best staff!

OP, I'd say the best is either Edinburgh/Aberdeen/Glasgow (not to seem biased by recommending Edinburgh, I can offer up plenty of criticisms if needed), behind those I'd recommend Dundee and Strathclyde.

As far as pursuing the DLP at Edinburgh, it is very competitive, and the majority of students enrolled each year are former Edinburgh Undergraduates. Apparently Edinburgh is the top rated University for the DLP, but Aberdeen is closing in terms of rankings.
Reply 18
NicLeys
The Scottish Law Commission has it's home in Edinburgh, the University's position as a leading research institution for Law, it's size compared to other Law schools (largest Undergraduate student body for Law I believe) and many of Scotland's leading academics and judges are Edinburgh alumni - this may count towards why Edinburgh has some of the best staff!

OP, I'd say the best is either Edinburgh/Aberdeen/Glasgow (not to seem biased by recommending Edinburgh, I can offer up plenty of criticisms if needed), behind those I'd recommend Dundee and Strathclyde.

As far as pursuing the DLP at Edinburgh, it is very competitive, and the majority of students enrolled each year are former Edinburgh Undergraduates. Apparently Edinburgh is the top rated University for the DLP, but Aberdeen is closing in terms of rankings.

Yeah Edinburgh IS really competitive :frown:, probably why they take the longest to reply. Although it is my first choice :yep:
Well....according to the Good Uni Guide. Aberdeen is the best in Scotland followed by Dundee.

Dundee has a really good law course, small group (about 250 places in the law school). Dundee is a seriously underated Uni.x

Latest