The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Ohgodyeah!

Just bagged a vac scheme at a very juicy magic circle firm!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

(Sorry if that sounds like boasting, but.... :biggrin: )

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
muncrun
Just bagged a vac scheme at a very juicy magic circle firm!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Nice one! :smile:

Are you going to tell us which one?
Great!! :smile: Finally some good news on the law forum that I don't have to get jealous about :biggrin:

Incidentally, how helpful is a years' experience working in a (small) solicitors firm? I'm hoping it counts for quite a bit :p:
Reply 3
Lottelo
Nice one! :smile:

Are you going to tell us which one?

To be honest I'd rather not for fear of 'outing' myself! I don't know who reads these forums! :smile:
muncrun
To be honest I'd rather not for fear of 'outing' myself! I don't know who reads these forums! :smile:

A great many more people than you'd think. I know. :eek:
Reply 5
muncrun

Fair enough. It seems those who have registered are in the minority to the "lurkers".
Reply 6
Onearmedbandit
A great many more people than you'd think. I know. :eek:

I really don't want to turn up on my first day and have someone say "oh, you must be the one that posts as that muncrun fellow!". :eek:
Reply 7
Go on.... I'm intrigued!! A Magic Circle vacation scheme doesn't come around all that often!
Reply 8
Many congrats! Had a few interviews and assessment days myself which I'm still waiting to hear back from. Plus a whole load of firms from which I've heard nothing!! Magic circle really doesn't look like my thing though (and I'm not just saying that because I've had no success with gettting a vac scheme at one - I've spent some time at Linklaters already).
muncrun

Well done!!!!!

Is it one of the MC firms which effectively gurantees a training contract if you've done a vac scheme?
Reply 10
tomcoolinguk
Well done!!!!!

Is it one of the MC firms which effectively gurantees a training contract if you've done a vac scheme?

Cheers Tom. :smile:

As for TCs afterwards - I get the impression that the chances are pretty high. I've heard of some people being told to apply as a mere formality, but otherwise pretty much being offered a job on the spot!
muncrun
Cheers Tom. :smile:

As for TCs afterwards - I get the impression that the chances are pretty high. I've heard of some people being told to apply as a mere formality, but otherwise pretty much being offered a job on the spot!

Excellent! :biggrin: You must be SOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited!
Reply 12
tomcoolinguk
Excellent! :biggrin: You must be SOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited!

Yea I'm looking forward to it! It'll be my chance to see if large law firms are my thing!
Reply 13
You must have convinced them well that it is your type of thing; they're so hard to get!
Reply 14
Btw, just realised you're a 2nd year at Brum - do you know a girl called Molly?!
Reply 15
Congrats! Just wondering what are your grades like - are you heading for a 2.1 or a 1st?
Reply 16
UCL_Law
You must have convinced them well that it is your type of thing; they're so hard to get!

True, but that's just a matter of spouting a load of BS at interview and doing so with some conviction. I was referring more to the working atmosphere - I just hope it's not a place dripping with arrogance and egoism, as that (for me) is really not a nice environment in which to spend your life. Having said that, they did take me on, which suggests they somehow think I'd "fit in".
Reply 17
UCL_Law
Btw, just realised you're a 2nd year at Brum - do you know a girl called Molly?!

Hmm...I don't know a Molly by name. What does she look like?
Reply 18
Haha, if it's MC then of course there's going to be elements of arrogance and egoism...but then they clearly think you'd fit in so I'll say no more!! lol

As for Molly - it's been a few years. Quite petite, from Oxford, long brown hair.
Reply 19
UCL_Law
Haha, if it's MC then of course there's going to be elements of arrogance and egoism...but then they clearly think you'd fit in so I'll say no more!! lol

Sure, I can handle an 'element' of it, but when it becomes the driving force behind the firm's ethos, it's a different matter! Admittedly, the people from the firm have come across as being very nice people so far, but I guess I'll have to wait until the summer to find out if this is just some kind of mask...

Latest