The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nope. It's positive marking, you can gain marks but will not lose any marks.

:clip:
Reply 2
Doubtfully. My mate made names up of sociologists and got a B last year, thus I think it will be fine.
Reply 3
that sociology test was pretty piss.
Reply 4
paperclip
Nope. It's positive marking, you can gain marks but will not lose any marks.

That's ridiculous. Making elementary errors like that shows a complete lack of understanding. It should be rewarded with a U grade.
Reply 5
srwences
That's ridiculous. Making elementary errors like that shows a complete lack of understanding. It should be rewarded with a U grade.

Surely forgetting someone's name, but remembering the correct studies and whatnot is not a 'complete lack of understanding'? They're basic errors, perhaps, but don't have a great bearing on the candidate's understanding of the actual material.
Reply 6
Bax-man
Surely forgetting someone's name, but remembering the correct studies and whatnot is not a 'complete lack of understanding'? Basic errors, perhaps, but has no bearing on a candidate's understanding of the actual material.

But you haven't properly understood what you've been taught and, moreover, you won't be able to apply your knowledge properly to real life.

ToryGirl
It should be, but it wont be. It is sociology, after all.

Spot on. It's an utter sham! Let's we intellectuals get out of here, ToryGirl, and return to our highbrow subjects.
Reply 7
Indeed. I think I shall return to my history textbook.
Reply 8
Marvellous. Did Cromwell spark a revolution in Tudor government? Whatever the answer, I should say that ToryGirl and I would gain no marks for giving a detailed answer but stating that it was Oliver Cromwell who was behind the changes.
Reply 9
ToryGirl
Indeed. I think I shall return to my history textbook.

History is exactly the same. Positive marking applies throughout all courses.

Reply 10
srwences
But you haven't properly understood what you've been taught and, moreover, you won't be able to apply your knowledge properly to real life.

Spot on. It's an utter sham! Let's we intellectuals get out of here, ToryGirl, and return to our highbrow subjects.

Forgetting someones name != lack of understanding. It's simply forgetting a name. In a real life scenario it would be a simple matter of quickly checking a book or asking the person next to you. Stop being a stuck up little ****. All A level subjects are positive marking only.
srwences

As long as she understands the theory and the meaning behind the theory, the theorist is irrelevant.
Reply 12
I dont think u do for AS but it does start to matter in A2. Espicially if they are very important studies. LOL I used to never remember the dates so I would go in the 70s...
Reply 13
Ghost
Forgetting someones name != lack of understanding. It's simply forgetting a name. In a real life scenario it would be a simple matter of quickly checking a book or asking the person next to you. Stop being a stuck up little ****. All A level subjects are positive marking only.

The funny thing is, I did sociology last year for A2 and I got an A. I do history now. HIstory is harder. Sorry, but its true. I don't mind admitting one of my A's is a bit dossy-there is a reason LSE hates it! Just don't assume I am being stuck up because its a bit ridiculous.
Reply 14
srwences

What a load of rubbish. Making elementary errors, forgetting/confusing someone's name, despite getting all the explanation right supposedly showns a 'complete lack of understanding' :jester: If you'd written an analysis like that and I was an examiner, I'd have given you a U, that's for sure :yy:

More ********. How does forgetting the theorist's name show you haven't properly understood the theory? :s-smilie: Your logic is appalling.
Reply 15
Does the same thing apply for psychology then? As I'm great at remembering studies, what happened, the result etc but can never remember who did it.
Reply 16
nofishing
Does the same thing apply for psychology then? As I'm great at remembering studies, what happened, the result etc but can never remember who did it.

if i forgot someones name in psychology i tended to just write, 'a psychologist..blahblah'

i know it sounds pretty ****** but when you're in an exam n your mind goes blank you kinda just have to go with it :P

n i dont think remebering names matters so much to a certain extent...aslong as you get the important people in there, ofcourse you want to remember as many as possible but when you have like 3 exams in one day with about 20 names for each exam to remember its not always easy!
Reply 17
You assume the examiner has a book of sociologists names and the studies they've done while they mark the exam. The marker won't even know if you've gotten the right name.
Reply 18
No u dont
Reply 19
I do sociology, and i feel as though it is always postively marked by examiners, they aren't looking to put you down, but gain you marks! But a complete lack of thought in sociologists names, made up names, and forgetting names constantly wont help you at all!

Latest

Trending

Trending