The Student Room Group
When you have received all 5 offers you must reject three and keep two, as your firm and insurance. You can not keep more then two, though you can keep a 'firm' on it's own
Reply 2
i am quite sure you have to chose 2 offers only a firm and back-up; but i am not 100% sure.
Reply 3
damn beat me to it lol, i'm expecting a high number of offers (i have 4 open days & 1 offer) and i don't know which ones to chose.
You don't have to accept any offers until you've had all your responses.
Reply 5
Nope, you have to accept them once you have all 5 of your offers.. if you dont want to wait i think you can withdraw your application from the unis you are waiting for if you are already happy with the ones you have?
flutterbyneuro
..then cancel the ones you don't want when you have all your responses?

are the offers unconditional?
Reply 7
flutterbyneuro
..then cancel the ones you don't want when you have all your responses?

Assuming that this is about postgraduate applications and you chose to post in this forum for a reason, yes, you can (although some may ask for a deposit). In that case ignore all the previous replies, since they're clearly talking about undergraduate applications.
Reply 8
Yesit is postgraduate- did think the previous posts were undergrad, should have made that clearer really.
Okay I will then, thanks!!
Reply 9
I'd really appreciate a comment. My situation is such that I have accepted three unconditional offers for my masters, and finally decided where I want to go (my choice was the last to get back to me), now I want to send a polite letter rejecting the other two courses. My reasoning however is not financial but due to the course. Should I say it is financial (which it isn't), or should I say something like after much consideration I have decided the course is not for me (and leave my reasoning ambiguous), or should I say I've chosen another course which to me reflects very badly on me and I'm slightly concerned as I may well want to go a conference at that uni or maybe apply for a phd in the future. Please any thoughts.
Reply 10
I would go with something ambiguous like "for personal reasons" or "because of outside matters", then they'll fell it's too private to question you on. Also put something about being dissapointed that you won't be going and being very impressed by the course and the university. If you had a lot of contact with one particular member of staff I would be particularly careful to say something nice about them.

I would be very wary of lying, as you may need to work with these people in the future.
There's no such thing as firm and insurance at postgrad. Once you sign the letter saying you accept their offer and they send you an official acceptance letter, you have to pay the tuition fee whether you actually study there or not. You can still go elsewhere but for every letter you've signed, you have to pay the tuition fee.

Not sure if this is 100% accurate but that's normally what happens.

And if you received offer letters but didn't sign it and send it back, you're safe to decline as much as you want.
Reply 12
I accepted offers from both UCL and LSE which I did not end up pursuing. I sent the department and admission a kind e-mail explaining why and they were fine with it. I am 100% sure you will not have to pay the tutuition fee. Any deposit you may have paid won't be refunded though.
Reply 13
Komakino
I'd really appreciate a comment. My situation is such that I have accepted three unconditional offers for my masters, and finally decided where I want to go (my choice was the last to get back to me), now I want to send a polite letter rejecting the other two courses. My reasoning however is not financial but due to the course. Should I say it is financial (which it isn't), or should I say something like after much consideration I have decided the course is not for me (and leave my reasoning ambiguous), or should I say I've chosen another course which to me reflects very badly on me and I'm slightly concerned as I may well want to go a conference at that uni or maybe apply for a phd in the future. Please any thoughts.

To be honest, I don't think they'll care much either way. They probably won't remember why you cancelled your place; what will matter to them most is that now they probably won't be able to fill the place, and there's nothing you can change about that anyway.
Don't say you found the course was not for you, because you should have researched it before you applied; if you have to give a reason say it has to do with unexpected problems concerning funding. That's by far the most plausible excuse for turning down an offer at the last minute and it will also make the university decidedly less keen to hold you to your contract.
Reply 14
TheSpoon2009
There's no such thing as firm and insurance at postgrad. Once you sign the letter saying you accept their offer and they send you an official acceptance letter, you have to pay the tuition fee whether you actually study there or not. You can still go elsewhere but for every letter you've signed, you have to pay the tuition fee.

Not sure if this is 100% accurate but that's normally what happens.

And if you received offer letters but didn't sign it and send it back, you're safe to decline as much as you want.

I'm sorry, but that's rubbish. Yes, it's technically a contract, but universities can't force you to enrol, and if you're not actually registered as a student, they can't make you pay tuition fees for a course on which you're not a student. You may lose your registration fee, but that's it.
If you signed an accommodation contract, things could be a bit trickier, but even then you should be able to wriggle out without having to pay the full sum, because there's always demand for university accommodation and it's very likely the university will be able to find somebody else for your room by the second term.
Reply 15
hannah17clg
When you have received all 5 offers you must reject three and keep two, as your firm and insurance. You can not keep more then two, though you can keep a 'firm' on it's own

Well this is obviously wrong because in Postgrad you can apply to as many courses as you want, and you apply directly to the university not through UCAS.

In answer to the OP yes you can, but you'll lose any deposits you made - however, by the time you have all offers you really should know where you want to go, what course you prefer - or you should at least have a 1st and 2nd choice, so I can't really see why you'd have to accept more than 2 offers...
Reply 16
ah the joys of ancient thread ressurection and people not noticing the dates on posts
Reply 17
Mitothy
ah the joys of ancient thread ressurection and people not noticing the dates on posts

Oh, come on, that can happen to anybody. When a thread is on page 1, you usually assume it's relatively new (unless it's very long, perhaps), so people can be forgiven for not always checking the dates of original posts, I think.
It's far more annoying when somebody bumps a four-year-old thread in order to echo something which was already said by the first person who replied.:rolleyes:
Reply 18
Mitothy
I would go with something ambiguous like "for personal reasons" or "because of outside matters", then they'll fell it's too private to question you on. Also put something about being dissapointed that you won't be going and being very impressed by the course and the university. If you had a lot of contact with one particular member of staff I would be particularly careful to say something nice about them.

I would be very wary of lying, as you may need to work with these people in the future.

It might even be worth phoning them up and grovelling in person, esp. if it's a PhD supervisor. I phoned one potential supervisor up and explained the situation, and he was very friendly and understanding about everything, and gave me good advice.
Reply 19
Thank You all. I really appreciate the comments.