The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Going to Bham 2005

Hi there I am defo going to Bham in september i have an unconditional place as i deffered entry for a year! I will be studying Sport and exercise science. Is there any body else about who is defo coming to Bham so that we can get to know each other and maybe meet up when we finally get there. I know its a long way off but im soooo excited!!
At the mo im a bit stuck as to what type of accomadation to go for, anybody know what the food is like in the halls. Also heard that maple Bank is a no go zone. I would really like to here from you if you have any advice on accomodation or if you are coming to bham in september Email me [email protected]! :p:
Reply 1
Maple Bank is quite a way out from Uni, (ie you need the bus), but it's got lovely grounds and facilities, and from what I've heard, has a really good community spirit. It's got it's own bar, grand piano, and lots of recreational activities. Heard the food isn't too bad either... ??

Depends what type of accomodation you're after really. If you haven't already, definitely check out http://www.housing.bham.ac.uk/undergraduate/ site, and look at catered accomodation and self-catering flats.

Also - you don't exactly get to actively choose where you end up. You'll be sent an accomodation form, which asks you questions such as do you want catered? Do you want en-suite? and stuff like that, and then it asks things like: What time do you go to bed? Do you want to live with people from your course? Do you like having your window open at night? and other questions to try and determine what group of people to put you with. There's a little comments bit at the end, supposedly for students that need specific requirements from their rooms (ie diabetics need fridges), but everyone I knew whacked something in about where they'd like to be placed. There isn't an official I'd like to live at x,y,z in this order though unfortunately. Definitely good to try and get info on the halls though so you can try and answer the questions with that place in mind.

If you let us know what type of accomodation you reckon you'd like, we can try and suggest things for you. Hope you find the website useful though! Oh, and of course - congrats on your place! :biggrin:
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
hey...

just interested...

What do you thik of elgar court?

Thanks

Jason
Reply 3
Create
Maple Bank is quite a way out from Uni, (ie you need the bus), but it's got lovely grounds and facilities, and from what I've heard, has a really good community spirit. It's got it's own bar, grand piano, and lots of recreational activities. Heard the food isn't too bad either... ??

Are you sure you mean Maple Bank? Because Maple Bank is on the Vale, has not got its own bar, and doesn't have food (you have to go to Shackleton for that). I think you're talking about Manor House? :smile:

Try this thread for more info, I wrote a kinda long review! (bottom of 2nd page) http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t20948.html
Reply 4
Create

Depends what type of accomodation you're after really. If you haven't already, definitely check out http://www.housing.bham.ac.uk/undergraduate/ site, and look at catered accomodation and self-catering flats.

Also - you don't exactly get to actively choose where you end up. You'll be sent an accomodation form, which asks you questions such as do you want catered? Do you want en-suite? and stuff like that, and then it asks things like: What time do you go to bed? Do you want to live with people from your course? Do you like having your window open at night? and other questions to try and determine what group of people to put you with. There's a little comments bit at the end, supposedly for students that need specific requirements from their rooms (ie diabetics need fridges), but everyone I knew whacked something in about where they'd like to be placed. There isn't an official I'd like to live at x,y,z in this order though unfortunately. Definitely good to try and get info on the halls though so you can try and answer the questions with that place in mind.

If you let us know what type of accomodation you reckon you'd like, we can try and suggest things for you. Hope you find the website useful though! Oh, and of course - congrats on your place! :biggrin:

hi i was just wonderin what i would need to say to get into elgar court? or maybe jarret hall? ANy tips an info on either of those would be much appreciated! Thanx, hopefully comin 2 birmingham this sept! YEH!
Reply 5
Tisi
Are you sure you mean Maple Bank? Because Maple Bank is on the Vale, has not got its own bar, and doesn't have food (you have to go to Shackleton for that). I think you're talking about Manor House? :smile:

Try this thread for more info, I wrote a kinda long review! (bottom of 2nd page) http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/t20948.html

*embarassed* yes - sorry taimma and everyone else who read that - I did get confused with manor....

thanks tisi...

oops....

no-one listen to me!

edit: hi kate - will reply a bit later - just on way to exam...

Latest

Trending

Trending