The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I guess being arrogant doesn't help :P. Okay, I'm content... (but I do feel a little contempt).
Last summer I was offered AAB (in Maths , FM and Physics) or AAA in three A2s to include Maths by Warwick to get into their Maths and Physics course.Got ABB in Maths , Further Maths and Physics due to screwing up some of my final modules including a D in one Physics practical and C in FP3) .

It took a while for it to be confirmed but I didn't get the place in the end - one of the things I remember them saying on one of the open days is that they made the offers with the expectation that most candidates would meet the conditions without too much difficulty.So despite missing my offer by one grade (and having As in M1-3) they must have had quite a few people who had no trouble meeting their offers.

Having said all that I know someone here at Nottingham got BCC for our Physics course (standard offer AAB) and still got let in despite massively missing the offer , and also I heard Mathematical Physics was struggling for numbers last summer having to enter Clearing.

In short if you miss your offer it depends on the demand/competitiveness of the course and whether they have enough people who met their offer or not.
Reply 22
conroe-killed-the-k8-star
Last summer I was offered AAB (in Maths , FM and Physics) or AAA in three A2s to include Maths by Warwick to get into their Maths and Physics course.Got ABB in Maths , Further Maths and Physics due to screwing up some of my final modules including a D in one Physics practical and C in FP3) .

It took a while for it to be confirmed but I didn't get the place in the end - one of the things I remember them saying on one of the open days is that they made the offers with the expectation that most candidates would meet the conditions without too much difficulty.So despite missing my offer by one grade (and having As in M1-3) they must have had quite a few people who had no trouble meeting their offers.

Having said all that I know someone here at Nottingham got BCC for our Physics course (standard offer AAB) and still got let in despite massively missing the offer , and also I heard Mathematical Physics was struggling for numbers last summer having to enter Clearing.

In short if you miss your offer it depends on the demand/competitiveness of the course and whether they have enough people who met their offer or not.

Perfect, thanks very much. =]
Reply 23
Why leave it to chance? You could retake some of the maths modules you've already done to get higher marks on them and do lots of practice questions / past exam papers to make sure you get the maths grade that you need.
Reply 24
Gaz031
Why leave it to chance? You could retake some of the maths modules you've already done to get higher marks on them and do lots of practice questions / past exam papers to make sure you get the maths grade that you need.

This is what I have been thinking about doing.

C1: 78 marks
C2: 69 marks
M1: 72 marks

I blame the low marks in C2 and M1 due to having ALL my exams sprung across 2 days, I had 5 exams on a friday and stayed over a teachers house for 3 exams on the saturday... I am most definately sure I can do much better.

However, I have 4 exams this summer, Psychology, Computing and 2x Maths; C3 and C4 - I've been told C3 and C4 are completely different concerning level of difficulty....

I've been told I gained 17/18 on my C3 coursework (which is about 25% of the C3 module?) which has given me a bit of a boost... however I'm pretty sure I did badly on my M2 January paper... I'll definately retake it if I get below 70 marks.

Right now I am 9 marks above a B after AS Level finished... it'll be risky retaking M2 and other modules in the summer along with the difficult C3 and C4 right?
Yes you definately do have a chance, I missed my grades by a lot and got in... It can happen :smile: However it depends on course, results, university and probably which side of bed the admissions tutors get out of that morning.

Just do your best and nothing more can be asked :smile:
Reply 26
If you want to get the B in maths you can. You can easily pick up 9 marks in your A2 papers and retake an AS paper or two to be certain. C3 and C4 are more difficult than C1 and C2 but if you put enough time into understanding the material and practicing questions then you can certainly get A grades in them.

Believe in yourself!
Daisuke
Ah fair enough. Would they take into account that I did more of the harder, yet relevant modules rather than the easier Statistics modules?

easy or hard modules are all relative, im doing M1 and did statistics last year and i found statistics harder... so i doubt they would give you any leway on that basis, but my friend got into manchester after she missed her AAB grades with ABB so they obv. do allo some things x
Reply 28
Gaz031
If you want to get the B in maths you can. You can easily pick up 9 marks in your A2 papers and retake an AS paper or two to be certain. C3 and C4 are more difficult than C1 and C2 but if you put enough time into understanding the material and practicing questions then you can certainly get A grades in them.

Believe in yourself!

I already have 9 marks above a B ^^.

Thanks for the kind words <3.
Daisuke
Well right now I have a very high A in both Psychology ad Computing, and have a low B in Maths. I achieved a B in Electronics at AS and dropped it to concentrate on Psychology, Computing and Maths.

I do Maths Mechanics and I have just done my M2 paper and considered it a failure... I've gotten full marks on a coursework that is 25% of one of the modules (C3), so that gives me a little break.

Anyway I was wondering, Manchester University offered AAB, incl. Maths... If I end up getting AACb with a C in Maths Mechanics, do you think I'll be rejected? The maths required can be any maths, however I made the mistake of going for the harder modules, M1 and M2 ><... C3 and C4 seem very difficult so I doubt, unless I get lucky, that I can get a B... I might retake M2 in the summer and try achieving a higher grade whilst getting not so bad marks in C3 and C4; but still then I'd only just scrape a B...

My question is really, if offered AAB (with wanting Maths as "one of the grades."), would a AACb (with the C in maths) still have a chance of getting me in?

Thanks in advance.

(Edit: the course is Internet Computing (sw)).

Hello join the persian society :wink: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=496751&page=145
Reply 30
If I'm being honest Manchester seem to let grades slip a little within the Computer Science department. They clearly expressed, "get this", but we probably would "accept this". Some of the students there missed the grades from other departments and wanted to go to Manchester so much they ended up within the CS department (which is the reason I didn't like it there). If anything they don't seem oversubscribed, so as long as you don't mess up Maths, you should be fine. I think a D would be pushing it, but you may get away with a C :smile:.
one of the reasons we're encourage not to apply in a gap year is because apparently if you drop a grade on results day they still usually let you in. That's what my teacher said anyway.