The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

shahrukh24
right - I've just found out that I don't know anything about cognitive development. Luckily I've managed to catch up on piaget and vygotsky, its just bruner I need help with - can't find much about him. My teacher is never in so I'm basically having to learn it all myself. Anyway I was just wondering whether anyone could help answer the following questions that have been on previous papers.

Outline a way in which bruner explains children's increasing capacity to deal with abstraction. (5marks)

And

Describe and discuss Bruner's theory of cognitive development. Refer to evidence in your answer (12marks) - obviously i don't expect a proper essay, I just need points and the evaluation points to go with them.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Basically, for Bruner:
- modes of representation (enactive, iconic, symbolic)
- the role of scaffolding
- compare him to vygotsky & piaget - he has similarities:smile: eg. piaget + process of maturation; vygotsky & importance of language, culture etc.
- the spiral curriculum
- Bruner & Kenny - matrix study

I'll add more when I think of it...
shahrukh24
Oh and also, the grade boundaries are always low - the highest is probably going to be 44/60 for an A. That's why people say its a soft subject - because its easier to get an A not because its easier as a subject (probably the hardest for me!)

It's hardly easy if you ask me...! It's nice that the grade boundary is lower, though.
Reply 62
hey, how much do you usually write for the 12 markers? I know it will obvioulsly vary, but just a rough estimate?
Reply 63
also what are the +ve and -ve of bruner?

How did he stress language and how did vygotsky do it?
I have only done a couple of practice 12 markers and they have ranged from 2 and a half pages to much more :dontknow: it doesn't really matter how long it is as long as you've got all your points in and a good amount of evaluation.

I don't have -ve/+ve points for Bruner or Vygotsky... oh dear!

Err good question... I can't remember haha. I just know that Piaget thinks of language as a byproduct [ie it happens anyway] whereas Bruner and Vygotsky think otherwise...
Reply 65
inksplodge
I have only done a couple of practice 12 markers and they have ranged from 2 and a half pages to much more :dontknow: it doesn't really matter how long it is as long as you've got all your points in and a good amount of evaluation.

I don't have -ve/+ve points for Bruner or Vygotsky... oh dear!

Err good question... I can't remember haha. I just know that Piaget thinks of language as a byproduct [ie it happens anyway] whereas Bruner and Vygotsky think otherwise...

same here gone through all the notes and online nothing concrete on bruner of +ve and -ve...?

Hope Piaget and some of his stage theorys comes up as 12 markers
VK-91
same here gone through all the notes and online nothing concrete on bruner of +ve and -ve...?

Hope Piaget and some of his stage theorys comes up as 12 markers

I hope so too. By the looks of whoever posted the 12 marker, Vygotsky & education came up last time... And it was Bruner in January, Piaget the exam before. I have a feeling it could be a case of discuss two of them/all of them :dontknow:
inksplodge
I hope so too. By the looks of whoever posted the 12 marker, Vygotsky & education came up last time... And it was Bruner in January, Piaget the exam before. I have a feeling it could be a case of discuss two of them/all of them :dontknow:

That would be a really good question but I think it might be Vygotsky this time. Negative of vygotsky are that he didn't have much emperical evidence (although bruner extended his work and supported it). Another -ve is that his theory was designed for soviet russia so it was made for a collectivist environment, therefore his ideas of peer-teaching might not work in other cultures as well as they did there.
A positive of Bruner and Vygotsky is their ideas are being used today in education and peer-tutoring has proved a success when it was trialed.
shahrukh24
That would be a really good question but I think it might be Vygotsky this time. Negative of vygotsky are that he didn't have much emperical evidence (although bruner extended his work and supported it). Another -ve is that his theory was designed for soviet russia so it was made for a collectivist environment, therefore his ideas of peer-teaching might not work in other cultures as well as they did there.
A positive of Bruner and Vygotsky is their ideas are being used today in education and peer-tutoring has proved a success when it was trialed.

Thanks a lot :smile: - but Vygotsky was the 12marker in June :eek: unless they're going to go for his theory in general?
Reply 69
theres a trend going on tho.

look at june 02 then the next paper...jan 03, vygotsky twice.

also again in june 05 and jan 06.

then june 08...jan 09...stong possibility?
Reply 70
bruner has only been up 3 times since 2002 so it could also be him?

this section is to hard to predict...others are easier
I'm hoping for Piaget if I'm honest :rofl: not too keen on bruner/vygotsky.

Does anyone have any ideas about moral development? :frown:
Anyone have any ideas for mood disorder/schizophrenia? I've actually just run out of time to revise now so I'm having to think of what is likely to come up..:frown:
shahrukh24
Anyone have any ideas for mood disorder/schizophrenia? I've actually just run out of time to revise now so I'm having to think of what is likely to come up..:frown:

Not really; someone posted that cognitive perspective for schizophrenia was the 12 marker... Secretly hoping for something where I can discuss the biological approach but it came up in June 07 so it's unlikely =(
Eek, I've given up on revision for now. :frown:
I really hate winter exams (allways dark outside, very cold, every one is ill , no sunlight, no american tv programs like Lost are on)- Its all so very depressing. I allways fail , looks like I will have to retake PYB1 in the summer. It looks way too easy compared to this beast that is PYB4.

I also think Bruner or compare Vygotsky and Piaget will come up.

Disadvantage of Vgotsky -

Little empirical evidence compared to that of Piaget.

Over emphasized the role of culture - if it really was that important learning would take place much quicker.

For disadvantage of Bruner I would some how link in the differences between him and Piaget.
inksplodge
Eek, I've given up on revision for now. :frown:

I'm just going to read my notes every so often. I think I hit burnout a few days ago.
Jack Sparrow
I'm just going to read my notes every so often. I think I hit burnout a few days ago.

Hah, yeah. I'm just gonna see what happens. I will also retake PYB1 (even though I got a high B) if I mess this one up :frown: It also ties in with PYB5 so it's good :yep:
For Bruner, on the mark scheme it say the following point: emphasis on memory as
the key to increasing intellectual ability

I haven't come across this, could someone explain?
inksplodge
Hah, yeah. I'm just gonna see what happens. I will also retake PYB1 (even though I got a high B) if I mess this one up :frown: It also ties in with PYB5 so it's good :yep:

Yeah it really does tie in with pyb5 I checked them out and they are really similar.

I got a "C"! 66/105 in PYB1 so even If I get a "B" next time round it would be worth re-taking.

I have given up more or less and I have just been thinking of how im going to smash PYB1 to bits.

Latest