The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

stormfire
It is become so 'multi-cultural' and politically correct, that we are slowly losing our heritage to make way for Sharia Law and other such nonsense. Shame really, we used to be such a proud country.

Lol what the hell does sharia law have to do with anything?
Reply 41
TheMeister
This is England - a typical illustration of English culture.

Is that you trying to offend England?
or did I miss something
Reply 42
Everyone harks back to the 'glory days of england' but in truth they never really existed. It is simply an arcadian dream.
Philster07
If you look over time though our traditions are slowly being fased out by "multi culturalism" and political correctness. I mean part of history is the salve trade which we had to appologise for!
The trade was a product of its time. That and we never traded slaves it was the Americans

Okay, yeah, let's go back in time and like, change our language to eradicate all memory of the invaders/settlers from Normandy and Scandinavia! Let's dig up all our straight roads so we don't have to be reminded of the Romans! Let's knock down the Norman castles! Let's get rid of Christmas trees (imported from Germany in the Victorian era)!

And http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/slavery.htm
Reply 44
Whatever culture we do have, we're loosing.
Gelliant Gutfright
Very true. Even if people are only considering America as having existed since its declaration of independence, it still has a very strong cultural history, and has done just as much over the last two hundred years to revolutionise music, drama and literature as England (in fact, is has had a far more prominent influence on music, inventing minimalism, jazz, rock and roll, blues, funk and, ultimately, pop music as we know it).

Also a very valid point.
I'm not exactly America's biggest fan, but you can't dismiss 300 million people as completely uncultured.
I been here 10 years..around england and haven't seen much:s-smilie:
Reply 47
ShadowBronze
Lol what the hell does sharia law have to do with anything?

It's just an example of another culture trying to erode our own culture.

All Law is cultural at its essence as it stems from the moral beliefs of its people throughout the centuries.
Reply 48
A Stranger in Moscow
Also a very valid point.
I'm not exactly America's biggest fan, but you can't dismiss 300 million people as completely uncultured.

but what is their culture? and it seems that the more americanised a country is, the less culture it has.
Reply 49
stormfire

All Law is cultural at its essence as it stems from the moral beliefs of its people throughout the centuries.

You are melodramatic. Only 3% of this country are muslim.
Reply 50
A Stranger in Moscow
Okay, yeah, let's go back in time and like, change our language to eradicate all memory of the invaders/settlers from Normandy and Scandinavia! Let's dig up all our straight roads so we don't have to be reminded of the Romans! Let's knock down the Norman castles! Let's get rid of Christmas trees (imported from Germany in the Victorian era)!

And http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/slavery.htm

*reads*
meh seems a good enough argument.
Although the last part about the Christmas tree and to a certain extent Turkey we imported and adopted them not forced to addopt them
Philster07
Is that you trying to offend England?
or did I miss something

Well the only culture we have is that of yobs - isn't it? I was reading somewhere the other day that more Europeans associate thuggery and violence with the United Kingdom than any other country in Europe. If they think that, surely we should recognise it as a problem and deal with it.
This is a student forum. Everyone is allowed an opinion, but personally I think that students need to have more open-mindedness (and I used to think this was true) than any other group. Learning needs to be done everywhere, and that means learning from other people.
Reading this debate reminds me of when I volunteered in an old people's home - "ooh, look at those darkies". "youth of today". Seriously, you need to slow down and stop being so old, there's plenty of time to complain when that's the only thing you have energy to do.
Reply 53
TheMeister
Well the only culture we have is that of yobs - isn't it? I was reading somewhere the other day that more Europeans associate thuggery and violence with the United Kingdom than any other country in Europe. If they think that, surely we should recognise it as a problem and deal with it.

The united kingdom has always been a violent nation.

I want someone to tell me when the U.K was at its pinnacle culturally! Please:confused:
Reply 54
wig

In the 2001 census, considering the last 8 years have seen the largest level of immigration ever in British history, i wouldn't be surprised if it was 6 or 7% now.
Reply 55
MsAnonymous<3
I been here 10 years..around england and haven't seen much:s-smilie:

Which part of the country are you in? If you're in the South East most of their culture has dissapeared but if you go to anywhere else then there should be alot.

You might also be in the wrong place. In that you live in a large city wereas you need to get out into the country. Caselton in The Peak District is a good place for culture. They have a village fair each year and Bakewell has a farmer's market each month
Philster07
Yorkshire black cats are lucky.

Eh, are they?
Reply 57
stormfire

Are you just anti-islamic in general? You just contradicted yourself. Just before you dismissed law and culture as two different identities.

And it's not particularly good decorum to leave a debate that you were engaging with me, although I can see why you did.
HESA
but what is their culture? and it seems that the more americanised a country is, the less culture it has.

Go read a book. Seriously, the American's have plenty of culture, and it's not all McDonalds either. They have (as listed in a very well written post above) revolutionised the music scene, very good universities, famous authors, philosophers - the fact that it is a melting pot is their culture.
TheMeister

I agree with this - that's the point I was making about possibly having something to learn from Sharia Law.
Philster07
*reads*
meh seems a good enough argument.
Although the last part about the Christmas tree and to a certain extent Turkey we imported and adopted them not forced to addopt them

When was the last time you were forced to eat Halal, or any other part of Sharia Law?
wig
:biggrin:
Reply 59
When has this country ever had a firm and distinctive culture?

Latest

Trending

Trending