The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Law Mid-sessionals - Advice please?

Usual story, skipped most of my lectures since I started, did just enough work to scrape through tutorials without looking like a complete moron, could probably name about 3 cases in total (fully intend on catching up). Yet I have mid-sessional exams tomorrow, tuesday and weds, and I really have no idea what to do. My best option at the moment seems to be not to take them, because they aren't compulsary, and they don't count towards anything. I'm scared of sitting them and my tutors thinking I'm a complete idiot because of the **** grades I'm most definitely going to get, which is why I think it's easier to just not take them at all..But I don't know if this is a good idea. Does anyone have any advice? Anything constructive is much appreciated, thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Personally I found the experience useful, because a university exam is very different to an A-Level exam and that is your only chance to practice them in a setting which doesn't count for anything. I'm sure you'll have done problem questions and essays during the first term but doing them timed and without your notes is difficult and I doubt many people have the discipline to do timed/blind essays at home for practice (I certainly don't!)

Many people do pathetically badly in the mid-sessionals, and tutors mark them to the standard of the real thing, so most people don't do amazingly well. Your tutors will not judge you for doing badly! I'd advise going if you think you can actually pass. If you really know absolutely nothing, then it probably is a waste of time.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
I know.. well.. bits and pieces, here and there. If offer and acceptance comes up, I'll be fine. Every time I go to revise, that is where I start, and also where I end. haha.

I think I'll sit contract tomorrow and see how abysmal it really is.. then if it's as bad as I think it will be, and I'm sitting there for 2 hours unable to write anything, I'll not bother with the rest.
Thanks by the way. :smile:
Reply 4
Learned contract quite well, but not revised for any of the others. Quick question though, I thought I was Gods gift to case references by knowing quite a lot - then I see in the exam paper they have given us the handout with the list of cases on anyway. Therefore before I start to a bit of criminial cramming(!), is that standard procedure on all the papers? And also on the real things?
Reply 5
hingus2000
Learned contract quite well, but not revised for any of the others. Quick question though, I thought I was Gods gift to case references by knowing quite a lot - then I see in the exam paper they have given us the handout with the list of cases on anyway. Therefore before I start to a bit of criminial cramming(!), is that standard procedure on all the papers? And also on the real things?

No, it varies between subjects. I really can't remember back that far to first year though! I don't think you do get one for criminal, you get some extracts from statute though. Nothing for public and no cases for EU either, but get to take the statute book in. Mock is the same as the real thing in that respect.

Having said that, it can change from year to year and my first year was 3 years ago now so sorry if it's wrong!
Reply 6
emmings
No, it varies between subjects. I really can't remember back that far to first year though! I don't think you do get one for criminal, you get some extracts from statute though. Nothing for public and no cases for EU either, but get to take the statute book in. Mock is the same as the real thing in that respect.

Having said that, it can change from year to year and my first year was 3 years ago now so sorry if it's wrong!

I really hope you're wrong, I have the worst memory in the world for cases. Everything else I can remember and explain, it's just references I can't do. That case list saved me in contract.
Reply 7
cheryljc
I really hope you're wrong, I have the worst memory in the world for cases. Everything else I can remember and explain, it's just references I can't do. That case list saved me in contract.

Well you just need the case name (not the citation or anything) in an exam. If you can remember even one of the names then that's the main thing (which is why criminal is good - only one name to remember not two :biggrin: )
Reply 8
Oh god, I am just the same as you! I am planning to actually revise for the real exams though! How have yours gone so far guys??

emmings
Well you just need the case name (not the citation or anything) in an exam. If you can remember even one of the names then that's the main thing (which is why criminal is good - only one name to remember not two :biggrin:)

Yes, they're so much easier! And they're just normal names, not long names of coorporations, or those horribly complicated EU ones.
I only sat contract. I feel sad.

I hate this.
Reply 10
thisisyesterday
I only sat contract. I feel sad.

I hate this.

Aww no!!

I was so tempted to do that, but I managed to drag myself along to all four. I guess you should ask for a copy of the papers and you make make revision notes in your own time and have a go at the questions, as it would be quite useful. :smile:
pcok
Aww no!!

I was so tempted to do that, but I managed to drag myself along to all four. I guess you should ask for a copy of the papers and you make make revision notes in your own time and have a go at the questions, as it would be quite useful. :smile:

Yeah I think I will do that.. Hopefully I can be a bit more motivated this semester. How do you think you did?

Also, do you happen to know where I can find the past exam papers? I have to do a problem question for my EU tutorial and I have no idea where to get them.
Reply 12
thisisyesterday
Yeah I think I will do that.. Hopefully I can be a bit more motivated this semester. How do you think you did?

Also, do you happen to know where I can find the past exam papers? I have to do a problem question for my EU tutorial and I have no idea where to get them.

I think I did pretty ****, couple of hours revision for each one, and for EU and public law it was like I was learning everything from scratch. Why are we being so stupid, this is our degree!! Lol, ah well, perhaps I too will be able to be more motivated this semester, and do the reading and essays, maybe even make revision notes, haha.

Here is the archive for law past papers: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/depsta/law/ugrad/study/course_mats/coursesaj.php
Reply 13
I did appallingly badly in mine, and I thought I worked pretty hard last term! UGH!! That said, I did next to no revision.
pcok
I think I did pretty ****, couple of hours revision for each one, and for EU and public law it was like I was learning everything from scratch. Why are we being so stupid, this is our degree!! Lol, ah well, perhaps I too will be able to be more motivated this semester, and do the reading and essays, maybe even make revision notes, haha.

Here is the archive for law past papers: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/depsta/law/ugrad/study/course_mats/coursesaj.php

Ah well they're mocks esentially... As long as we do more for May it'll be fine :smile:

And thanks for the link :smile:

Latest