The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
abdelb
There would have been calls for him to quit as PM.

So what will happen to Harry?

Then i would vote for him in the next general election instead of Cameron.
Reply 81
what will happen to harry?

well nothing, this is a monarchy you dont get to pick and choose! maybe this incident, trivial or not (i havent heard the remarks or read them in contxt) will remind people of that, and then mybe we can get shot of it
L i b
And David Milliband would be all like "yo, this is our Paki boss, Gordon" and everyone would be like "lol, you said Paki" and he'd be like "OMG nooooes!".
And then they'd all go eat a bloody big curry. Mmm, curry...
Reply 83
Bagration
And then they'd all go eat a bloody big curry. Mmm, curry...

Mmm...:smile:
menagerie
Meh, I'm half Pakistani, half Irish, second generation born into this country, and out of my group of school friends, there's one other Pakistani girl. The other people in our group are English (majority are Jewish) and there's one Czech/English girl. Between us, we use racial 'slurs' about Pakistani, Jews and Eastern Europeans because we all know we're joking and we're not prejudiced against each other's background.

This is like that, people need to lighten up. If Harry'd spat on the guy, or said it with disdain I'd be disgusted, but it's just banter between friends.

Golden Brown, texture like sun, would never say such a thing, and if he did, he would have to make a public apology, but may be okay. Remember that BoJo got elected into power after all of his racial and regional controversies.
Good post.
Why would he say it, he is Brown ....:getmecoat:
Reply 86
abdelb
Regardless.... there would have been calls for him to resign.

There are calls for him to resign when he stutters or gets his words mixed up in PMQs, I don't really think that's a good judge of how serious a situation is.

Anyway, if he said it in the same context as Harry - as a mutually understood banterous nickname, with absolutely no malice intended - then I wouldn't see the point in the whole fuss which would undoubtedly ensue. Saying certain words does not make someone racist, saying them with the intent to be racist makes them racist. I've met a few racist people, and they don't say 'Paki' while laughing with a big grin on their face, they say it with malice and aggression.
Reply 87
Who give s ****!

about Prince Harry

No one likes him, he is no ones role model, he is just some posh kid, who went to a private school and still turned out stupid.
Reply 88
DaveParlour
He can't quit being in his family.

And stop sensationalising this story, he was having a laugh with his mates, didn't mean any offence by it, get over it.

Alright you little honky :rofl2: :rofl:
Reply 89
It would have been really funny
Reply 90
Cantab
There are calls for him to resign when he stutters or gets his words mixed up in PMQs, I don't really think that's a good judge of how serious a situation is.

Anyway, if he said it in the same context as Harry - as a mutually understood banterous nickname, with absolutely no malice intended - then I wouldn't see the point in the whole fuss which would undoubtedly ensue. Saying certain words does not make someone racist, saying them with the intent to be racist makes them racist. I've met a few racist people, and they don't say 'Paki' while laughing with a big grin on their face, they say it with malice and aggression.

A banterous nickname, when racial is not banterous for the person on the receiving end. What if he were black, and was referred to as 'our little negro friend' ... funny ha ha ha no.
Reply 91
Why do you get so many people calling threads pointless and stupid this is a discussion board right?
Reply 92
Mos Def
A banterous nickname, when racial is not banterous for the person on the receiving end. What if he were black, and was referred to as 'our little negro friend' ... funny ha ha ha no.

How do you know this person didn't find it banterous? Do you know him? Has he made any complaints or comments since the story has broken? Why do you assume that everyone suffers a complete sense of humour failure as soon as one of their friends makes a racial-themed comment?

I have friends that are Indian, Pakistani, Korean, Russian, Dutch, Chinese, Jewish, Scottish, Welsh, American etc, and yes the banter (from everyone, to everyone) sometimes strays into areas that could be termed racist if said in a completely different way by someone with a completely different attitude, but our friendship group is so beyond racism that it's the last thought on anyone's minds. I'd wager this video is simply capturing just the same kind of behaviour.
Reply 93
DaveParlour
He can't quit being in his family.

And stop sensationalising this story, he was having a laugh with his mates, didn't mean any offence by it, get over it.

i totally agree with you...exactly what i was going to say :smile:
Mos Def
Alright you little honky :rofl2: :rofl:

Little ?!?!:eek:

I'm 6'4" !

:wink:
Reply 95
Cantab
How do you know this person didn't find it banterous? Do you know him? Has he made any complaints or comments since the story has broken? Why do you assume that everyone suffers a complete sense of humour failure as soon as one of their friends makes a racial-themed comment?

I have friends that are Indian, Pakistani, Korean, Russian, Dutch, Chinese, Jewish, Scottish, Welsh, American etc, and yes the banter (from everyone, to everyone) sometimes strays into areas that could be termed racist if said in a completely different way by someone with a completely different attitude, but our friendship group is so beyond racism that it's the last thought on anyone's minds. I'd wager this video is simply capturing just the same kind of behaviour.

How do you know this person didn't find it banterous also? ...We are both judging from our own experiences, but i'm asian and I would find it offensive, its not a lack of humour really, i just think there are far more funny names to be called than a 'paki', i can sense the humour from the word already? :s-smilie:

And you are God knows what? ...and you think it was a joke as your friends find it 'funny'. Yep, im sure they reeeeeally love it deep down :wink:
Reply 96
DaveParlour
Little ?!?!:eek:

I'm 6'4" !

:wink:

Big then :o:
Mos Def
Big then :o:

That's better. :cool:
Reply 98
Mos Def
How do you know this person didn't find it banterous also? ...We are both judging from our own experiences, but i'm asian and I would find it offensive, its not a lack of humour really, i just think there are far more funny names to be called than a 'paki', i can sense the humour from the word already? :s-smilie:

And you are God knows what? ...and you think it was a joke as your friends find it 'funny'. Yep, im sure they reeeeeally love it deep down :wink:

Pretty much everyone in the Army is assigned some form of nickname to do with their looks, their accent, or their origin. The vast majority just get on with things and give just as good as they get, it's part of the culture they're in. You're projecting your own beliefs and values onto a situation you can't relate to; of course if someone simply made a racial remark you'd be offended, but if you'd spent the best part of a year living with someone every single day, sitting in the cold, wet mud trying to keep your spirits up with any kind of banter you could lay your hands on, you'd probably react a little differently.

As for the last bit, it doesn't matter what I am, my friends make jokes about each other AND about themselves. It's not even remotely as though that's the sole basis of our humour, not by a long shot, but you can be damn sure that whenever someone does crack a joke that everyone who isn't white doesn't suddenly go quiet and start seething. Can you really not understand a situation where people are such good friends that they are so beyond racism that they feel comfortable laughing about such things?
Reply 99
abdelb
There would have been calls for him to quit as PM.

So what will happen to Harry?

**** all, but you P's would love something to happen.

Latest

Trending

Trending