Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

B116 - Emergency Gaza Bill

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    B116 - Emergency Gaza Bill, Grape190190Emergency Gaza Bill

Preamble:
    1/Grape wanted to shake things up.
    2/He determined the best way very quickly.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

1/ This House condemns Israel’s use of excessive force in Gaza.

2/This House calls for an immediate cessation of rocket attacks against Gaza and a retreat of all advanced ground forces.

3/This House suspends diplomatic relations with Israel until such time as the requests made in ‘2’ have been met.
    4/This House will offer the Palestinian government any humanitarian aid they require, and will commit up to 20,000 troops to providing it.
    5/Any attack on a region containing British peace-keepers will be considered an act of war.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    upon initial reading I agree, though I don't think it is this house's place to take sides. I would agree with humanitarian aid and setting up peace-keepers to ensure no more attacks were carried out. The problem I have however is how many forces we have. We are already involved in two conflicts and what would happen if either side did attack British peace-keepers? An invasion of there country? Or just a protection of the two?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I personally think it's too strong, but laud the principle.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry what about attacks on Israel? Should they not be stopped too?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    B116 - Emergency Gaza BillEmergency Gaza Bill

Preamble:
    1/Grape wanted to shake things up.
    2/He determined the best way very quickly.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

1/ This House condemns Israel’s use of excessive force in Gaza.

2/This House calls for an immediate cessation of rocket attacks against Gaza and a retreat of all advanced ground forces.

3/This House suspends diplomatic relations with Israel until such time as the requests made in ‘2’ have been met.
    4/This House will offer the Palestinian government any humanitarian aid they require, and will commit up to 20,000 troops to providing it.
    5/Any attack on a region containing British peace-keepers will be considered an act of war.
    i believe the rocket attacks were against israel not gaza... unless hamas have started firing them into their own state(whatever gaza counts as)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Since when did the legislature create foreign policy? We have no ability to control the military - that can only be done by the Queen and the royal prerogative devolved to the PM - surely? As such, even if I agreed with the idea (which I don't), I'd have to vote no in light of the fact that, well, it wouldn't do anything anyway.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Parliament is sovereign, we can do anything we like, to be fair. And given that parliament authorised military intervention against Iraq, there's a precedent to give us the authority. What's more, without an executive branch, we're not exactly treading on anybody's toes.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest Grape, couldnt this have been better as an EDM
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alasdair)
    Parliament is sovereign, we can do anything we like, to be fair. And given that parliament authorised military intervention against Iraq, there's a precedent to give us the authority. What's more, without an executive branch, we're not exactly treading on anybody's toes.
    speaking of a legeslative branch, Shouldn't the PM on here have the power to do things like this? It would certainly make Manifestos more interesting as you would be able to say "The <party> have overstretched our forces with the war in ---"
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
    Out of interest Grape, couldnt this have been better as an EDM
    EDM's are pointless and have no discussion...
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hold on just a second, this Bill seems in Clauses 4 and 5 to be suggesting that the United Kingdom invade the Occupied Territories...

Utterly insane. I am sure I speak for HM Government in saying that we will not be involved in this regardless of what the House may attempt. Royal Assent would never be granted for such a farce, and indeed since it concerns the exercise of Her Majesty's Prerogative powers, it would - in proper parliamentary conduct - require the permission of HM Government to even discuss in this House.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Hold on just a second, this Bill seems in Clauses 4 and 5 to be suggesting that the United Kingdom invade the Occupied Territories...

Utterly insane.
    I suspect they relate back to the preamble...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuffie)
    Sorry what about attacks on Israel? Should they not be stopped too?

The death of 5 people does not justify killing 900 and injuring 2500.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maqdah)
    The death of 5 people does not justify killing 900 and injuring 2500.
    They keep sending in rockets with the intention of killing civilians though. Open your eyes, you can't just tell Israel they have to stop attacks then turn a blind eye to Palestine's violence.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanGrover)
    Since when did the legislature create foreign policy? We have no ability to control the military - that can only be done by the Queen and the royal prerogative devolved to the PM - surely? As such, even if I agreed with the idea (which I don't), I'd have to vote no in light of the fact that, well, it wouldn't do anything anyway.
    We can't. However, one would assume that the executive would heed the decision of the legislature, given that it is the legislature that selects the executive. This was seen re Iraq in 2003. Blair said he would resign if he lots the vote, since he would effectively lose control over foreign policy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They keep sending in rockets with the intention of killing civilians though. Open your eyes, you can't just tell Israel they have to stop attacks then turn a blind eye to Palestine's violence.
    Agreed, but killing 919 CIVILIANS and injuring 4200 (not 2500) is not the way to "bring peace".
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maqdah)
    Agreed, but killing 919 CIVILIANS and injuring 4200 (not 2500) is not the way to "bring peace".
    I didn't say it was, nor did I say anything about "2500". I merely said both sides should cease attacks.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    And this condemns Hamas firing rockets into Israel how...?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree totally.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    I is a one fairly sided bill, And I doubt condemnations from the house would have much effect. As we are already involved in two conflicts it would be hard. I do however applaud the general principle.
Updated: January 18, 2009
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.