The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

commando
Ye it would, that's another consideration.

That was also a thought, they have an MPhil in Russian Studies that interests me. Although, I believe that getting a first degree is more prestigious, in that the competition is far harder.

You were pooled so I guess they like you to be honest I wouldn't because I wouldn't be able to face rejection a second time but if you can then I would go for it
Reply 21
La Esmerelda
If your hearts set on Cambridge go for it.
But if you are Oxbridge material don't go to Bath because I was under the illusion that it wasn't a very good uni (except for engineering).

What do you study?

It's generally not a great place except for Engineering, but I really liked it when I went. The atmosphere seemed right. Also they have great sports facilities, which while not a major consideration, did sway me. Also I believe Bath's French department was ranked quite highly. 10th or so?

As in at school - IB - Highers: English, French and German; Standard: Maths, Chemistry and History.

At Uni I want to do French and ab initio Russian.

Mathy, Ace from Space
Haha, sorry I was on a roll with the suggestions and forgot to see if you were a girl or a guy :p:
Ask one of your teachers, I know my Spanish teachers and the German dept at my school were extremely helpful with ideas.
Also, if you can find some sort of maybe part-time job, you might be able to find funding to take a course at a local college/uni in France or wherever you go...
:smile:

I thought that said I was on a troll. Far too common occurrence around these parts.

Thanks again for these ideas.

commando would seem to give it away to me, but it's not as obvious as I would have hoped.
commando
Right I'm sure there must have been some topic on this already, but I don't care, I'm starting a new one.

I just got my rejection letter after the pool today. I'd been preparing myself for it since the pool letter on the 2nd. Not really surprised. Also I'm not looking for "awww, don't worry about it, you'll love it at X university" responses.

Basically, I was wondering if it's worth my while re-applying. I was, and still am to an extent, so desperate to go to Cambridge. I only have one offer so far, from Bath, my 4th choice. Durham is 2nd, UCL 3rd and Birmingham 5th.

The positives of Cambridge are obvious, and I'm not gonna go through them. There are benefits to a gap year, like increased life experience, opportunity to make yourself a better candidate with a more varied personal statement. Especially with languages, a gap year abroad is a great idea.

Also, I'm not entirely sure whether I want to go elsewhere. Durham and UCL are both great unis, with great international reputations. I've never visited Durham, but I hear it's great, while I liked UCL when I was at the Open Day, and I've got an interview on the 21st. I liked Bath and my brother was there as well, and he said that he loved it, while Birmingham was a rush decision about 3 days before my application needed to be in and I'm not overly keen on it.

On the other hand, not reapplying means that I go to one of the Russell Group, get a degree that's literally almost as good as Cambridge's would be and have fun at university. Lots of you Cambridge students will say that it's not all work, but let's face it, you do masses.

Bearing in mind that I'm probably still bitter about the rejection, subconsciously though, because I won't admit that I am. Am I being irrational in reapplying, or would it be a sensible option? Is this just me being ridiculous and bitter, or is it reasonable? Also, despite posting this in the Cambridge forum, what would Oxford's views be on me applying there if I took a year out?

As an Oxford reject, I would say the following:

1) DEFINITELY wait until you get offers from elsewhere, you don't know how you might feel about an offer from another uni until you get it. You might realise that you look forward to somewhere else for different reasons.
2) Whatever happens accept two university places in case you change your mind, you can always drop them on results day.
3) Believe it or not now, it does start to get better. I'm really looking forward to Bristol now, I mean I obviously would have loved an offer from Oxford because I fell in love with the place but there's a different experience waiting at Bristol
4) Can you significantly improve your application
5) Could you handle a second rejection if that were to happen
6) You could always apply for postgraduate study there and get the experience later after working hard and getting a 1st or 2.1 elsewhere

Have a really good think about it.
Reply 23
I'm afraid I no longer have the patience to reply to each in person, but general consensus seems to be wait for other offers, look into gap years and only then decide. You've been most helpful.
Thank you very much, you shall all be receiving rep at some point in the future.
Reply 24
Mathy, Ace from Space
Umm...I'm still looking into that, but my plan so far is to talk to my personal tutor at university (I need their permission to reapply since I'm already at uni); then if they say 'yes', I'm either going to ask him for help, or go back to my school and ask them for help (they're only down the road, plus they were so supportive the first time round).
I'm not planning on dropping out right now, I want to try to apply while I'm still here (my sister's friend did that), not sure how that works...
I'm guessing you'd have to come up with a pretty good excuse to defend you reasons if you're asked about it.

Do you have any idea if this is the same for Music Colleges?
I've just been rejected from the pool and am considering similar options.
I was planning on starting the course at a Music College I have a place at, which is a 4 year long course, but then re-applying to Uni's when I felt ready? Would I have to apply through the Music College I was at? Or would I be OK applying independantly?
Thankyou! :smile:
Reply 25
commando
Sorry to hear it. I removed myself from the pool thread shortly after I posted in there. Erm, if any it would be Jesus probably. I originally wanted to apply there, but my school is so controlling in every aspect of my life (plus the teachers in charge probably get some form of bonus if they get loads of us in). How about you?

Well, this application to Cambridge was between Pembroke and Homerton, and I chose the former. The next time, it will be Homerton. I thought the rooms looked nice, as did the sports facilities nearby. I am tempted to apply to Pembroke again, but have been warned against such an idea.
olivermc
Do you have any idea if this is the same for Music Colleges?
I've just been rejected from the pool and am considering similar options.
I was planning on starting the course at a Music College I have a place at, which is a 4 year long course, but then re-applying to Uni's when I felt ready? Would I have to apply through the Music College I was at? Or would I be OK applying independantly?
Thankyou! :smile:

I think a few of my friends have done/thought about/want to do something similar (re music college/reapplying), so this is what I've heard (but don't take it for certain, I'd go ask in another more subject-appropriate forum)...
I think you could apply through your old school, because they know you better than the music college, they can give you a better reference etc.
But if someone else knows better, correct me if I'm wrong :smile:
Reply 27
Hey peeps, im worried over what to do next.

I was pooled from Christ's College for Law this year. I recieved my rejection yesterday and am well and truly gutted.

I was wondering whether to re-apply next year to a different college - perhaps a far less prestigious one in the hope of getting in second time round or should I accept my UCL offer this year.

The year off is not what bothers me as I'm already planning a gap year.

I guess what I'm saying is, re-apply and possibly forfeit UCL+Durham offers- or just go to UCL/Durham this year?

Cambridge meant alot to me and I really really wanted to get in. On the other hand, I'm not particularly worried about going to UCL either (ok maybe I am :sigh: ).
If you were pooled then your application would have went to the 'far less prestigious' colleges
There's not much advice to give really, you seem to know your situtation quite well.
Reply 30
Angus101
I was wondering whether to re-apply next year to a different college - perhaps a far less prestigious one in the hope of getting in second time round

This won't improve your chances of getting in.

or should I accept by UCL offer this year.

Probably. Unless you feel there was definite room for improvement in your application, there's no point in reapplying.
Reply 31
Request feedback and see what it says. Sometimes they suggest reapplication.
e: I know someone who was pooled and rejected last year for History, her feedback suggested reapplying, she did and got in this year :smile:
Reply 32
Angus101
Hey peeps, im worried over what to do next.

I was pooled from Christ's College for Law this year. I recieved my rejection yesterday and am well and truly gutted.

I was wondering whether to re-apply next year to a different college - perhaps a far less prestigious one in the hope of getting in second time round or should I accept my UCL offer this year.

The year off is not what bothers me as I'm already planning a gap year.

I guess what I'm saying is, re-apply and possibly forfeit UCL+Durham offers- or just go to UCL/Durham this year?

Cambridge meant alot to me and I really really wanted to get in. On the other hand, I'm not particularly worried about going to UCL either (ok maybe I am :sigh: ).

Reapply, i'm doing the same for Bristol as I rushed my application and don't particularly want to go to any of my offers (except Kings College [if they accept me] they're the only one not to reply yet!)

Good luck!
I'd say go to UCL/Durham - because you might not even be sure of getting a Cambridge offer next year, and then you would have to accept another university, which consequently may be even worse than UCL's and Durham's Law schools. Also, if you don't get in, you would have wasted a year, when you could be at uni. It's a pretty risky decision, especially being Law. Go to UCL/Durham. The great thing about UCL is that it's in London, so you got a lot of contacts there etc.

EDIT: Oh sorry, didn't notice you were planning a gap year - so go for it. You never know, you may be lucky, but apply to UCL and Durham again, because if you were good enough to get an offer this year, you *should* get an offer from them next year. :smile:
Request feedback, base yourself off that. Sorry to hear you didn't get in, I applied for history and got an insane-o offer instead :P.

Best of luck!
Reply 35
Not much advice to give as it really has to be your decision. What I would say though is don't take a gap year for the sole purpose of reapplying- if you come out in the same position next year and feel that your gap year was a "waste" then you'll feel even worse than you do now.
Reply 36
Nina

As for the Foreign Office, you don't need a Cambridge degree for that. Main way to get there is via the FastStream programme, which you can do from any university, and the application process very much focuses on your skills and experience, not where you went to university. If that is one of your motivations for reapplying, forget it.

:ditto:

Back during the 19th and even much of the 20th century the Civil and Diplomatic Service were both very upper-class, Oxbridge dominated. It was pretty impossibly for anyone who didn't have an Oxbrige degree to progress through the ranks. Durham, Bristol and a few other unis produced grads who'd follow behind, desperately, but they'd often have family connections.

Oxford and Cambridge plus, to a lesser extent, these other top universities do still have a heavy presence in the Civil and Diplomatic Service this is largely because it still remains a common destination for grads from these universities. The tradition is still there and these graduates are amongst the best, after all. It doesn't mean certain universities, even Oxford and Cambridge, are favoured. The selection process is a lot more open than it once was. Your academic record, skills, qualiites and experience count. The name of your university doesn't.

If you really think you'll stand a significantly better chance of entering the Foreign Office with a Cambridge degree then this isn't really the case. I don't think this alone it's a strong enough reason for taking a year out and reapplying. Not when the other universities are still top, excellent universities (with some tradition in the area).

im so academic
I'd say go to UCL/Durham - because you might not even be sure of getting a Cambridge offer next year, and then you would have to accept another university, which consequently may be even worse than UCL's and Durham's Law schools.

:laugh:
River85
:laugh:

What's so funny about that? :dontknow:
Reply 38
im so academic
What's so funny about that? :dontknow:

Just the way it was phrased. "Even worse than...." rather than, worse than. UCL and Durham's law schools are still the country's leading departments outside Oxbridge so they aren't all that bad :wink:

Ignore me.
Reply 39
I didn't say that that was the sole reason, only one of a multitude, some of which I discussed earlier. I'm starting to think less about it now. I'll wait for UCL and Durham.

i'm so academic - his point was that "even worse" makes it seem like these are some awful places, like the University of Baghdad or something.

Latest

Trending

Trending