The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think there are generally more female English students than male ones, but bare in mind that TSR isn't representative of the general population when it comes to some things - just look at the Oxbridge acceptance rate to confirm this!
Reply 2
Rose64
I think there are generally more female English students than male ones, but bare in mind that TSR isn't representative of the general population when it comes to some things - just look at the Oxbridge acceptance rate to confirm this!

True but there are more Oxbridge acceptances because the people who use this site are more intelligent than average (because it's a student forum I'd imagine). There is no reason why there should be a greater number of females than males using the site...
Reply 3
englishstudent
True but there are more Oxbridge acceptances because the people who use this site are more intelligent than average (because it's a student forum I'd imagine). There is no reason why there should be a greater number of females than males using the site...

Perhaps not, I don't know the statistics. The poll will only give you information on TSR users, though, obviously.
Reply 4
Rose64
Perhaps not, I don't know the statistics. The poll will only give you information on TSR users, though, obviously.

Yep. 7-1 so far. :biggrin:
Reply 5
englishstudent
Yep. 7-1 so far. :biggrin:

Lol. I think there's another male user called silence applying for English.. hmm he's the only other one I can think of!
He doesn't use the forums, but my best friend has applied for English - he said that when he went to his Warwick interview there were a lot more women than men.

But as people said, TSR isn't a fair representation at all.
I always play 'Spot the boy!' at English Open Days :smile:
Damn this is not good. My second aim for going to uni was to pull...lots!!
Reply 9
Becca_18star
Damn this is not good. My second aim for going to uni was to pull...lots!!

Lol, same. But there will still be guys! Just not that many on the course
Yup theres still hope I suppose, heh.
Reply 11
There are 3 men to 10 women in my college studying English.. it's unsurprising that my boyfriend is a computer scientist :p:
Reply 12
Rose64
Lol. I think there's another male user called silence applying for English.. hmm he's the only other one I can think of!

I've applied to do English. Sort of. I'm either doing English, or English and Mythology, I haven't really decided yet!
Reply 13
Why did jumpunderaboat post on the poll when he's not doing English? :confused:
Reply 14
F. Poste
There are 3 men to 10 women in my college studying English.. it's unsurprising that my boyfriend is a computer scientist :p:

pretty sure ours is the other way round! off the topic of my head can name far more male english students than female.

but then we have more female physicists! so perhaps we're odd.. :p:

in general, as has been said, i should imagine english is more 'female'. the unis you're interested in should probably have stats somewhere if you're really interested.. :wink:
Bristol definitely has far more girls studying English than boys. My personal tutor group has something like nine girls and one boy.
Reply 16
The ratio where I am is dominated by females. Not that I'm complaining. My girlfriend is though. :rolleyes:
There are quite a lot of guys on the English course here. And a lot of them are very sexy :wink:
Reply 18
Rose64

i don't like the term "male user". it makes me sound like umm.. a homosexual slut :smile:

but yeh, i am a male.
Reply 19
After today's seminar I take back the fact I am pleased my course is dominated by females. I was amoungst a load of feminists and it was impossible to make my point. I gave up in the end; an arguement I could never win.

Latest

Trending

Trending