The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

seems because the people in the FBI and CIA and the pressure groups behind the white house and congress stay.
otherwise the people that have been in politics in the last 60s years and yet no one realised soon enough. But it seems as if things are going to get worse as he favours israel.
Reply 21
What a counter-productive comment. We need moderates in the middle east.
Reply 22
Snookercraze
I've learnt: All American presidents will be the same.

Yeah that sentence is so true. It's easy if you're not in power to criticize other people, but when you're in power you have to make to decisions that will be implemented and no US president will willingly try to damage the USA in any way, shape or form.
Obama will be different.

Iraq has become a lot better in the past year or so, and Afghanistan has slided. That's why a surge is needed in Afghanistan. Iraq was a pretty stable country before the invasion, whereas Afghanistan has been a mess since the 70s. Which is why Iraq will become stable again a lot quicker.

No president has even talked to Iran in decades. The fact that Obama is willing to talk to Iran shows it's a change in foreign policy. Also making the Permanent Representative to the UN a cabinet-level position proves he's going to be more of a multilateralist that Bush ever was. One of Obama's first acts as president will be ordering Guantanamo closed, and he's said he'll abide by the Kyoto Protocol and the Geneva Conventions.
Reply 24
pookiepotato
He's changing things. The Obama administration will be good for America and the rest of the world.

Given he hasn't even started his term as president this is a bit presumptuous surely?

As for the whole closing of Guantanamo, whilst that is a good thing, I'm sure there are x number of similar prisons all over the world that the US can contract to that just haven't got the same amount of media attention as Guantanamo Bay. His announcement to close it was really just seemed to be PR stunt to ensure he got elected.

Whilst I hope he does manage to change things for the better I will believe it when I see it.
Reply 25
Obama's foreign policy is naive.
He wants to "sit down and talk to Iran without preconditions", and that he will "talk to Chavez in the first year of his presidency", which he believes is a disgrace that the US havent spoken with up-to date.

Surely this is change; but is it the change American's need?

Worrying indeed.
Ofcourse he hasn't said much about the Gaza conflict, have you not noticed Israeal are using American planes and weapons. As for changing things, politicians are there to keep things the way they are.
Reply 27
The only significant difference he'll make will be with the military. It will be compulsory to wear chains and bling and when engaging the enemy all troops must shout 'brap brap brap'.
Reply 28
Alex93
He wants to "sit down and talk to Iran without preconditions", and that he will "talk to Chavez in the first year of his presidency", which he believes is a disgrace that the US havent spoken with up-to date.

Worrying indeed.

He seems to be talking about talking to people. My inital impression is that Obama just won't get much done. Of course if I'm proven wrong I will eat my words.
Snookercraze
I've learnt: All American presidents will be the same.

That's because Jews make up a very important portion of the American government. If Obama goes against them, then he may well have to get out of office.
Comes from a different generation doesn't he?

I am a bit skeptical, but I am glad he is offering talks with Iran, much better foreign policy than invading a country out of bad information. Not to say I loved Saddam but Bush could of made it so easy on himself. But who's to say who would of done what to whom.
Reply 31
I hope for the safety of the West that Obama maintains Bush's foreign policy, thankfully he's a man with few things he isn't willing to change to ensure he's successful, he swung from the far left to get the Democratic nomination, swung back to the Centre to appeal to the majority, and with any luck he'll settle on Centre-Right.

accelerator
That's because Jews make up a very important portion of the American government. If Obama goes against them, then he may well have to get out of office.

Jews overwhelmingly vote Democrats and are only a small fraction of the population. He should be more concerned about scaring voters who stand on the centre of the political spectrum by introducing radical leftist policies. E.g. Allowing Democrats to remove trade unions secret ballots.
Reply 32
All politicians are liars
Alex93

Worrying indeed.

When you are willing meet these thugs without preconditions, as Barack Obama says he would like to do, that legitimizes people like Ahmadinejad in the eyes of the world.

I think now that Obama has access to the same classified information that president's do, he may reverse some of these idiotic positions he had prior to winning the election.
Reply 34
mr-tom
The only significant difference he'll make will be with the military. It will be compulsory to wear chains and bling and when engaging the enemy all troops must shout 'brap brap brap'.

:s-smilie:
Made in the USA
When you are willing meet these thugs without preconditions, as Barack Obama says he would like to do, that legitimizes people like Ahmadinejad in the eyes of the world.

I think now that Obama has access to the same classified information that president's do, he may reverse some of these idiotic positions he had prior to winning the election.

If somebody hates me and is planning to chuck a brick through my window, ignoring him isn't going to stop him.

Chucking a brick through his window will only result in even more bricks being thrown through mine.

Breaking into his house and stealing all his bricks means he'll be ten times as angry when he goes to get more bricks.

Killing him would mean I would end up in prison and have to face his extremely angry family when I get out.

Talking to him and trying to settle our differences is the only option with a possibility that both our windows won't end up smashed.
Reply 36
diplomatieth
If somebody hates me and is planning to chuck a brick through my window, ignoring him isn't going to stop him.

Chucking a brick through his window will only result in even more bricks being thrown through mine.

Breaking into his house and stealing all his bricks means he'll be ten times as angry when he goes to get more bricks.

Killing him would mean I would end up in prison and have to face his extremely angry family when I get out.

Talking to him and trying to settle our differences is the only option with a possibility that both our windows won't end up smashed.

Well said. (Y)
Reply 37
i hope there is no change in foreign policy. Iraq, may have been a mistake, however the fact is its as it is, so withdrawing troops during a gradul stabilisation process would remove progress made.

Latest

Trending

Trending