The Student Room Group

Groosham Grange, by Anthony Horowitz. Strangely similar to HP!

Has any of you read Groosham Grange, by Anthony Horowitz?
It came out some time earlier than the first HP book, and won some awards, so must have been well known at the time.
Although the plot is different, some aspects, especially some characters, are strickingly similar to HP.

What do you guys think?
Reply 1
jonesemma
Has any of you read Groosham Grange, by Anthony Horowitz?
It came out some time earlier than the first HP book, and won some awards, so must have been well known at the time.
Although the plot is different, some aspects, especially some characters, are strickingly similar to HP.

What do you guys think?

i havent read it,whats it about?
Reply 2
yo-less
i havent read it,whats it about?

its about this boy who finds out he's a wizard and goes to a strange school on an island, with two friends (boy and girl). Although the plot is very different from harry potter books, there are some striking similarities. try and read it!
Reply 3
Yeah, I read that series. I like Anthony Horowitz :biggrin:

To be honest, JK Rowling didn't pick the most original topic she could've, so it shouldn't be a surprise that there are similar books around - look at all the stories that involve girl's boarding schools. Enid Blyton is just the most famous for writing those sorts of stories, as is JK Rowling for writing books involving magic and teenagers. And I personally like Horowitz's version more.
Reply 4
Yeah - i really like anthony horowitz books - all the alex rider series are great!! :smile:
Reply 5
jonesemma
its about this boy who finds out he's a wizard and goes to a strange school on an island, with two friends (boy and girl). Although the plot is very different from harry potter books, there are some striking similarities. try and read it!

I have a feeling Ive read it, but the plot rings no bells for me.
i noticed that they were simmilar too, but u can't compare Groosham Grange to Harry Potter can u...
Reply 7
looby3
Yeah - i really like anthony horowitz books - all the alex rider series are great!! :smile:

Yeah, I love the Alex Rider series as well. Full of actiaon, and leaves you waiting eagerly for the next book, especially after Scorpia.
I love Alex Rider.. end of Ark Angel a bit unbelieveable tho. I didnt like Groosham Grange- HP much better.

Latest

Trending

Trending