The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Accomodation

I know there are alot of thread about am i too old for postgraduate, will i fit it etc but i am wondering about where to live if i do end up doing a masters.
If most masters students just did their undergrad lets say they'd be around 21-23. This is fine as i have friends this age ( i'll be 28) etc and i would say i am pretty sociable anyway but is postgrad halls exclusivly for the 20 somethings? DO you get many over 30's-40's?.
Is it more common for postgrads from the UK to live in a flat/house rather than halls if they are relocating?
Reply 1
Hi,

I am a mature student (40 something) and if I go to one of my choices I'll be having to go to PostGrad accomodation. I imagine there will be a mix of ages from 20's to 50's even as a lot of international students come to uni to do research degrees. I hope it's a mix as I don't want to be the oldest there.
Reply 2
From what I've seen and know of through people in my halls, we've got anyone from the age of 22 to probs early 40s. It does seem to be age grouped though as the oldest in my flat is 25, youngest is 22; whereas other flats, the youngest is 25.

I'd say the British students are the minority in my halls but I've only met people from 3 of the 7 flats so I wouldn't know exactly. PG halls can be fun though and we don't have any undergrads :biggrin:
Reply 3
I doubt there'll be very many postgraduates in their 40s or 50s living in university-owned accommodation, actually, because they're more likely to be relatively settled down with partners and families than people in their 20s, as well as more likely to be doing part-time courses alongside their jobs, and consequently private accommodation might often suit them better. But of course that isn't to say every single postgraduate in university accommodation will be 22.
Reply 4
I went into postgrad halls last year and at 22 I was one of the youngest people living there, the majority being in their mid- to late twenties In my experience, unless people come to postgrad with a partner/ family, they often go into halls, and there is also a mix of ages on postgraduate courses.
Reply 5
thx for the insight guys.
When you were applying to uni, (if you have already) did you find that some uni's has very little places for UK students in halls.
Some of the uni's that interest me state their is little chance of me geting a place in halls and advise me to get a flat.
Southampton which is my 1st choice say they gurantee a place in halls to all postgrads thank god! whilst Plymouth (my 2nd choice) can't.
Reply 6
Johnni
thx for the insight guys.
When you were applying to uni, (if you have already) did you find that some uni's has very little places for UK students in halls.
Some of the uni's that interest me state their is little chance of me geting a place in halls and advise me to get a flat.
Southampton which is my 1st choice say they gurantee a place in halls to all postgrads thank god! whilst Plymouth (my 2nd choice) can't.

Yeah, they seem to ditch the postgrads :rolleyes:

I was really lucky where I am as they seem to offer quite a bit of accommodation to postgrads but yet the waiting list for first years is STILL massively long. Guess it's luck of the draw and whether you apply as soon as accommodation is open (I applied the first day).

Latest

Trending

Trending