The Student Room Group

Wetherspoons

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I've just finished at Wetherspoon's/Lloyd's and the company is fine to work for!
My rotas were always ready the Monday for the following week so we had plenty of notice. Everybody's shifts were fair - so many days and so many nights.
We also had a request book so if you wanted a day off for a birthday or whatever then you'd ask for it to be put into the request book and you would more than likely get given it.

They do have an extremely high staff turnover but it just boils down to the late nights like we were open til 2am Friday and Saturday and sometimes didn't get out until 4am. We were also NOT allowed to accept tips or drinks off the customers and any tips given had to be put into the CLIC charity jars.

I have worked in two of the Wetherspoon's pubs of which both had totally different atmospheres and different clientele however every member of staff I have worked with have been extremely friendly and welcoming when you first start.

Negatives about the pubs is the pay - 5.50 for under 21s and 6.08 for over 21s however you do get decent bonuses every month depending upon your stocks and mystery shopper results.
Also the breaks are rubbish -
No break for 6 hours and under
20 mins for over 6 hours to 8 hours
30 mins for over 8 hours to 11 hours
and 40 mins for over 11 hours

you do tend to get given 9/10 hour shifts too!
Original post by linkdapink
I worked for wetherspoons!The thing that REALLY bugged me was the rota's! They only gave me like 2/3 days notice (i.e. the rota's were done on the saturday to be started on the monday) and no extra notice about working new years (was told the sunday before!)They were quite flexible with me. I told them exactly when I could and couldn't work during the interview so there was nothing too bad there. I never even saw a 10 hour shift! The worst I did was 9am-6pm, which wasn't that bad. They kept trying to send me home early though, which I was NOT impressed with since I needed the money!Downside: a 3 hour induction! It was hell on earth!Upside: I got free coffee's at work!p.s. staff turnover - 3 people were hired at the same time over christmas, I quit after 3 weeks. They were totally unreasonable with days which I couldn't work, even after giving them a weeks notice, they refused to change it (it was boxing day, and I wasn't in the same city!!! I told them a week before that I wouldn't be in, and they said there was nothing they could do, so I rang them up on boxing day and said that I wouldn't be in!)p.p.s. I didn't have any bar experience when starting
I had exactly the same problem i also could not work boxing day. I however lasted two weeks. People where nice not so happy with the organisation.
Reply 22
I have worked for two Wetherspoons pubs. I'm predominantly kitchen staff though I have worked on the bar. If you must work for them (only available job for example) try to aim for bar. Although you'll be working later it's easier work and you're far more likely to actually get a break. In the kitchen I have done 12 hour shifts without a break before, it has just been too busy and we've been too understaffed for me to be able to - the break would not be worth the backlog I'd face getting back. At least from my observation and experience.

If possible though, avoid working there at all. It is not worth the barely above minimum wage.
I've just got a bar work job in the new Wetherspoons that's coming to our town, the only weird question I have to ask is will I have to cut off my festival wristbands or are they ok with things like that?
Wetherspoons are terrible to work for - useless management who bully staff. Long shifts until 2 or 3 a.m for minimum wage.

Avoid if you can.
I know this was ages ago but if anyone else is looking to apply or have been given an interview for wetherspoons-

It really depends on the pub, as it's a franchise some things may differ. The one I'm currently working in is great! I mean, yeah it's really annoying when they keep sending people home early "We need to save 10 hours this week", yeah well I have rent to pay this week!

But, I really enjoy working with the people I work with, I get along with my managers. We're also not allowed to accept tips either, the only time that seemed to be allowed was during the Christmas period we had a jar and used the money for our staff do. We get free tea/coffee but, we don't use the coffee from the machine, the is separate staff coffee.

You get bonus' depending on how your pub is doing so that's good.

I'm also transferring to another wetherspoons for the summer and then transferring AGAIN (hopefully) when I go to university. So I'm sure to see how different other pubs are soon. (I work at a Lloyds no.1 pub at the moment, the ones that actually play music).

I didn't have any previous experience working at a bar before either, they seem to be happy with giving experience to people. You will have an induction day which is long and tedious, mine lasted about 3 hours, they say 6 but not all of them last that long if whoever is inducting you speeds through it all.

Mostly what sucks the most is customers, not all of them of course. But a lot of people are impossible to reason with when drunk so it gets annoying and when you get the odd creep- not fun!

And to anyone who has a piercing, I'm not sure about other pubs but you're allowed one facial piercing when working behind the bar but because mine is less generic I constantly get stick from customers so if that easily annoys you I'd just take it out for work if you can.

But overall I have a laugh where I work a lot of the time.
Sooo, yeah that was long...
Original post by CharlotteRosee
I know this was ages ago but if anyone else is looking to apply or have been given an interview for wetherspoons-

It really depends on the pub, as it's a franchise some things may differ. The one I'm currently working in is great! I mean, yeah it's really annoying when they keep sending people home early "We need to save 10 hours this week", yeah well I have rent to pay this week!

But, I really enjoy working with the people I work with, I get along with my managers. We're also not allowed to accept tips either, the only time that seemed to be allowed was during the Christmas period we had a jar and used the money for our staff do. We get free tea/coffee but, we don't use the coffee from the machine, the is separate staff coffee.

You get bonus' depending on how your pub is doing so that's good.

I'm also transferring to another wetherspoons for the summer and then transferring AGAIN (hopefully) when I go to university. So I'm sure to see how different other pubs are soon. (I work at a Lloyds no.1 pub at the moment, the ones that actually play music).

I didn't have any previous experience working at a bar before either, they seem to be happy with giving experience to people. You will have an induction day which is long and tedious, mine lasted about 3 hours, they say 6 but not all of them last that long if whoever is inducting you speeds through it all.

Mostly what sucks the most is customers, not all of them of course. But a lot of people are impossible to reason with when drunk so it gets annoying and when you get the odd creep- not fun!

And to anyone who has a piercing, I'm not sure about other pubs but you're allowed one facial piercing when working behind the bar but because mine is less generic I constantly get stick from customers so if that easily annoys you I'd just take it out for work if you can.

But overall I have a laugh where I work a lot of the time.
Sooo, yeah that was long...

What was your intial interview like? What sort of questions did they ask?
I really would like this job, i'm panicing as I haven't had an interview for a bar job before and not too sure what they're looking for.

Many thanks x
Original post by andromeda24
What was your intial interview like? What sort of questions did they ask?
I really would like this job, i'm panicing as I haven't had an interview for a bar job before and not too sure what they're looking for.

Many thanks x

Sorry for the late reply! Have you already had your interview? If so, how did it go?

The main thing I remember is they have smiley faces at the bottom and circle them if you keep smiling.

They'll ask you how would you feel about I.d.ing somebody and I'm sure I was asked a "what would you do in this situation" question. Oh! And learn something about the company. They will ask you what you know. So, talk about their charity work with clic and camera. I can't really remember many specific questions, sorry!
I found the interview really calm and relaxing, wasn't much to worry about and I was relieved 5 minutes into it realising it wasn't as formal as I thought it would be. It went really well and I was offered the job straight away. Now though, I have the induction tomorrow and the worry has retuned after reading how long it is. I was told my travel would bead for if I kept receipts which is great. I will post here again after a few weeks of working so I can give my feedback on the work, hours and pay to help other people out.
Hiyah,
I'm a second year student but have also worked at a wetherspoons for 3 and a half years.
obviously I had no bar experience as I started as a floor associate when I just turned 17 and worked up to bar, they trained me really well with a lot of patience, my managers are fantastic.
The high turn over is just the nature of the job, generally all my friends at the pub are also students or graduates who need extra money, so when people get their dream job they move on and so on.

They have always listened to shifts that I require with hours I can work, they understand that it's not a full time job and that I am a student.
I just started working for Wetherspoons, I really love the place especially been in retail for 7 years, I can finally say bar work is for me. Although I just have been accepted on a 12 week placement in Africa for the summer which I did not expect (lit, the chances were minimum). I really want to stay working for spoons upon my return as next summer, not this one I won't be going home after uni instead I will be staying in the flat my friends and I just put a deposit on because the tenancy don't finish until the summer is over. Can spoons just hold my contract or something for 12 weeks? I don't want to ask them in case they let me go early.
Reply 31
I don't mind the actual job itself. I'm a Weatherspoon's employee in Edinburgh and I've been working during the fringe which has been hectic. People would assume that we hate the job because we have the rudest customers - I mean sure they do push my buttons, but me and the other employees would laugh about it. Working behind the bar is a good laugh too, but what really makes me depressed at work is they will over work us and give us the most inconvenient shifts despite a lot of us (including me) have to also attend college. We've got 70 staff - 45 are full time workers and only 25 are part time. I asked to only work Tuesdays and Sundays which are the only days I can seem to work, but they just put names and shifts in a hat and pull out at random. Doesn't matter if you book and pay for a holiday or have to attend any other social gathering e.g Funeral, wedding, birthday etc. Managers will treat you like robots who are expected to follow instructions without concern. I wouldn't not recommend working for this company, but make sure they understand your needs.
Original post by Dave_Pls
I don't mind the actual job itself. I'm a Weatherspoon's employee in Edinburgh and I've been working during the fringe which has been hectic. People would assume that we hate the job because we have the rudest customers - I mean sure they do push my buttons, but me and the other employees would laugh about it. Working behind the bar is a good laugh too, but what really makes me depressed at work is they will over work us and give us the most inconvenient shifts despite a lot of us (including me) have to also attend college. We've got 70 staff - 45 are full time workers and only 25 are part time. I asked to only work Tuesdays and Sundays which are the only days I can seem to work, but they just put names and shifts in a hat and pull out at random. Doesn't matter if you book and pay for a holiday or have to attend any other social gathering e.g Funeral, wedding, birthday etc. Managers will treat you like robots who are expected to follow instructions without concern. I wouldn't not recommend working for this company, but make sure they understand your needs.

was wetherspoons your first bar job? how was the training? and what was the induction like? would managers really say no to asking for time off for a pre-booked holiday?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending