The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2000
I currently have 5.5As and 5Bs at GCSE, am I good enough for UCL? (Medicine, Pharmacy etc)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by dirtyoldriver
A very quick question:

Do we get freezers?!

I am at Schafer if this makes any difference.

I will be sad if not :emo:

Yes. One freezer per flat so usually one freezer compartment each. It's not that much space but it's quite adequate if you plan ahead/nobody shoves a big piece of meat in your bit or anything similar.
Reply 2002
Hi guys, what's the philosophy course like? I've noticed it's a bit cryptic in the prospectus and department website. How much work do you do, and what's the teaching like?

Also, I'm predicted more than typical offer grades at A-level, but I'm concerned my GCSEs let me down, I got: 2 A*s, 3 As, 3 Bs & 2 Cs
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2003
Posted another thread on this but would like more help...

Need advice...

Im just about to start 2nd year of A-levels, n so looking into which uni's to apply to for next year....

Im really interested in studying at UCL to do Civil Engineering/Mechanical engineering(undecided); studying in London really appeals to me as ill meet new people from all over the world, loads of things going on etc, plus UCL is a top uni.

but whenever i bring it up, parents go crazy and say;

- London is way too expensive, cant afford your accomodation
- London is a sh*t hole, you will get mugged and robbed as students are an easy target...

So need help;
is it stupidly expensive?
caqn only rich kids study in london?
what loans could i get?
is the area around UCL dodgy?
what is the mechanical enginnering department like at UCL?
Reply 2004
Original post by :D---D:

Need advice...

Im just about to start 2nd year of A-levels, n so looking into which uni's to apply to for next year....

Im really interested in studying at UCL to do Civil Engineering/Mechanical engineering(undecided); studying in London really appeals to me as ill meet new people from all over the world, loads of things going on etc, plus UCL is a top uni.

- London is a sh*t hole, you will get mugged and robbed as students are an easy target...

So need help;
what loans could i get?

-you can make it cheap. Rent will be more, but otherwise you can get most things for the same price as elsewhere.
-no. ucl has a high bursary. It might even be the most after oxford and cambridge. even without a bursary; no.
-the same as anyone else. students in london get a higher loan though.
-no. bloomsbury is quite nice.
-dunno. my friend does it. she works all the time though.
Helloooo

AT GCSE I got AAAA*BBBBC and for AS AAAC
Do you think I would be able to apply for UCL and have a chance to get in?
Is there free wifi in any of the UCL libraries or cafes?
Are there any recommended discount/student cards I should have for shops in the surrounding area?
Original post by purplefrog
Is there free wifi in any of the UCL libraries or cafes?
Are there any recommended discount/student cards I should have for shops in the surrounding area?

Eduroam is available around most of campus. Definitely the libraries, most of the lecture theatres and the Print Room Cafe and the Robert's building engineering cafe. You'll need to use your UCL login.

Your UCL ID will get you discounts where you need it usually - I've never had mine rejected.

I would have said in the past to get a yellow card, but the Court and the Rocket are no longer part of the chain that give yellow cards/student discounts so I've heard.

Need advice...

So need help;
what loans could i get?

You get a higher loan and UCL's bursary is pretty good (better than King's). Most will probably get half their grant (which Student Loans give you). Bare in mind student loan isn't debt in the normal sense.

Rent is probably the only thing that is significantly more (you are living in Central London). Normal food shops would be akin to what you're used to. Eating out and pubs/clubs are likely to be more than you're used to, but you'll learn the decent eats.

The area around UCL is very nice. Overall London isn't any worse than anywhere else. Usual common sense applies and some friendly local advice and you'll be fine.

Don't know about MechEng at UCL. Sorry.
Does the UCL ID card work as proof of age?
Hello,

Just wanted to ask for some advice please. i have been offered accommodation in International Hall (an intercollegiate residence). I live in london (approx 40 mins away at most) but i still liked the idea of moving out first year.

International was not my first choice, I had wanted an ensuite. i just wanted to ask, what is the atmosphere like? bathrooms, also do they have any medics there?

Thanks in advance please reply asap.

:confused::confused::confused:
Reply 2011
arcl

Pj991

Thanks guys
Original post by TheAngryMongoose
Does the UCL ID card work as proof of age?

No, it doesn't have your date of birth on it.

There are foundation students that are under 18 at UCL (and are thus issued a UCL ID).

Get a provisional driving licence. It's a lot more convenient to carry around and you're much, much, much less likely to be dog piled at immigration for having a passport that looks rough around the edges.
Original post by angeloffreedom
Hello,

Just wanted to ask for some advice please. i have been offered accommodation in International Hall (an intercollegiate residence). I live in london (approx 40 mins away at most) but i still liked the idea of moving out first year.

International was not my first choice, I had wanted an ensuite. i just wanted to ask, what is the atmosphere like? bathrooms, also do they have any medics there?

Thanks in advance please reply asap.

:confused::confused::confused:

it's ok there i had a couple of friends that lived there last year. i don't know about medics though but it's in a really nice area close to the brunswick shopping centre and about 10-15 mins walk from campus plus the hall has it's own costa and a 24hr tesco round the corner. my advice is get there early and make friends. it's good ur moving put because living at home is stressful.

So need help;
what loans could i get?

- it's not stupidly expensive you get grants etc and there are always opportunities to make money on campus e.g one-off jobs and studies to participate in.

- no everyone can study in london, there are poor kids as well lol and there are always loads of deals on offer so things work out!

- as for loans I don't know much about that the best thing to do is call UCL and find out but I think home students can generally get loans through student finance.

- the area around isn't dodgy, bloomsbury is safe though some parts of camden can are dodgy but as long as you act smart and always go home at the right time or return from a night out with friends then you're alright.

- the mech eng dept haven't heard to much about it to be honest.
Original post by Dibs_anim
- it's not stupidly expensive you get grants etc and there are always opportunities to make money on campus e.g one-off jobs and studies to participate in.

Sorry to hijack this, but may you give examples and more info about the one off jobs and studies please?
i know this varies with each one, but what examples are there of the jobs and studies and how much you get paid?
where do you find out about these and how do you sign up etc?

sorry, really really tight on money this year and every little helps - especially with the fact that im self catering...
Sorry to hijack this, but may you give examples and more info about the one off jobs and studies please?
i know this varies with each one, but what examples are there of the jobs and studies and how much you get paid?

sorry, really really tight on money this year and every little helps - especially with the fact that im self catering...

Ok for instance my department was looking for tour guides for incoming students during open days. In total there where 5 open days (5hrs each open day) and we got £8.78 an hr (not bad) though we were paid at the end of all the open days. This was for the comp sci dept so i can't say for yours. Other opportunities are studies that come up e.d students doing research will pay others to participate and then finally we have a jobshop where new jobs are always posted so you can always apply : http://uclu.org/find-a-job/
I got 2 summer jobs from that website so it's pretty useful.
Reply 2017

A lot get emailed to your UCL account. You don't need to opt in or anything. Just apply based on the emails you get. You'll probably get a fair few.

Things like asking you to do studies involving doing MRI scans and many other things, sometimes done by PhD students and some by professors and doctors etc.

Payment always vary. Some only cover expenses like travel and lunch, others pay you, sometimes £20, maybe £80, for a day. It all depends.
Reply 2018
I did a study for the neurology department (I think). Spent two hours in an MRI scanner, got paid £40. It was pretty dull sitting there doing nothing though.
Problem with UCL username

About a week ago, I used this website https://www.ucl.ac.uk/our/regForm.do to find out my UCL username. I have it, and set a password for it. I was able to access Portico and Moodle for a few days. However in the last few days, when I enter my UCL username and password, it keeps telling me:

'You username/password is incorrect/invalid'
'Your details were not found'

On things like this https://residences.ucl.ac.uk/StarRezPortal/Default.aspx?Params=L9ezxPcQnQsDuaBX%2bLFbaS7g8dqK9e0T, the username doesn't work but my personal email gives me access instead.

So it's like my username has suddenly stopped working, or my password has changed by itself..?!

What do I do? What's the problem?

I've emailed student residences and the service desk. I've called them up many times but not got through. Help!

Quick Reply