University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2020
Original post by angeloffreedom
Hello,

Just wanted to ask for some advice please. i have been offered accommodation in International Hall (an intercollegiate residence). I live in london (approx 40 mins away at most) but i still liked the idea of moving out first year.

International was not my first choice, I had wanted an ensuite. i just wanted to ask, what is the atmosphere like? bathrooms, also do they have any medics there?

Thanks in advance please reply asap.

:confused::confused::confused:

I haven't actually got my accommodation offer yet but I'm going to be a med student and my first choice was international, so hopefully should get it:smile:

I didn't know much about international when i applied, but I do find it quite strange how its meant to be a really big intercollegiate hall (i think about 800 people) and yet it is barely mentioned on forums etc. Any idea why this is??

One of my best friends from my old school has also just been offered a place at international btw!
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2021
hi there..i have a single roon in canterbury hall and i'm looking for a swap in any shared or single room in ucl hall of residence or student houses..if any of you guys are intersted please PM me..thanks.:biggrin:
Anybody do chemistry MSci? What offers did you get and what do most people get offered? I know they say ABB-AAA but I just wanted to get an idea of their de facto offers.
Reply 2023
hello,

i heard that only the o2 phone plan supports blackberry phone? is anyone using it? is it good? what is the cost per month.

also, where are the o2 shops that are near to ucl?

thanks
Reply 2024
does anyone by any chance know what oath (if any) med students have to take on graduation at UCL??
I can't seem to find the answer anywhere...
Original post by 901o9
hello,

i heard that only the o2 phone plan supports blackberry phone? is anyone using it? is it good? what is the cost per month.

thanks

I don't quite understand your question, most, if not all, of the mobile phone companies should support blackberry.

In terms of cost, you'd need have a look at the website and determine which package suits you best (http://www.o2.co.uk/) but o2 have a good service and the rolling contract is good value.

Original post by rosie5
does anyone by any chance know what oath (if any) med students have to take on graduation at UCL??
I can't seem to find the answer anywhere...

I don't believe that there is a requirement to swear upon any oaths by British trained physicians upon graduation (such as the Hippocratic Oath).

You may choose to do so if you wish, but you do agree to abide by the GMC terms of Good Medical Practice (though I'm not sure if that's done at graduation, but it's very likely before you start your FY1 post), amongst other things.
I am a Pharmacology student and have just looked at the pharmacology timetable and it shows lectures on wednesday afternoons. I thought all students were supposed to have wednesdays off. Is this true?
Reply 2027
Is the portico website working ok? The first time I signed up to pre-enrol, it showed loads of module tabs and things, but now it only shows 'New Student Pre-Enrolment' and 'Useful Links'. Kind of stressing because I want to sort out fees and everything. :redface:
Original post by tom_of_11.3
Anybody do chemistry MSci? What offers did you get and what do most people get offered? I know they say ABB-AAA but I just wanted to get an idea of their de facto offers.

I did and was offered BBB ?
Reply 2029
Original post by angeloffreedom
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it, I am just getting stressed out - I think the communal bathroom thing (being slightly OCD) scared me a bit tooo :/

If you have a diagnosis of OCD, you can apply for disabled students' allowance, and get an en-suite paid for, plus the accommodation people kind of have to give you one, because you have a disability :smile:

Ridiculous question which won't have any firm answers, I know, but what sorts of people typically live in the more expensive accommodation? I've ended up in Frances Gardner through the above method; it would be £190 per week, but since I get my en-suite paid for by DSA, I'm paying £140 per week for my room, so I can actually afford it. Considering that the bulk of other people in there will actually be able to afford £190/week for their room, is it likely that they're going to be generally exceptionally rich all-round? I don't want anyone judging my Tesco Value groceries :wink:
Original post by 901o9
hello,

thanks

GiffGaff
Original post by Cutieapple44
I am a Pharmacology student and have just looked at the pharmacology timetable and it shows lectures on wednesday afternoons. I thought all students were supposed to have wednesdays off. Is this true?

Is the module BIOC1001/1008/1009 (Should be MCB of some description)?

If so, it's not a lecture. It's (wet) labs for BIOC1008/9. I think they may also have 1001 people in if there's problems with labs on Fridays.
Reply 2032
Original post by SoulfulSP
GiffGaff

does giffgaff support blackberry functions?
Original post by arcl
Is the module BIOC1001/1008/1009 (Should be MCB of some description)?

If so, it's not a lecture. It's (wet) labs for BIOC1008/9. I think they may also have 1001 people in if there's problems with labs on Fridays.

The module is BIOC1001. So will I have labs every wednesday then?
Original post by Cutieapple44
The module is BIOC1001. So will I have labs every wednesday then?

Like I said, it's usually wet labs for BIOC1008/9. BIOC1001 labs were Fridays.

It'll vary when you have labs (for CHEM1602/3 as well), you'll be given instructions and a timetable when you start.
Original post by 901o9
does giffgaff support blackberry functions?

I don't know; but you always can get ur WhatsApp done.
Reply 2036
MSc Countering Organised Crime & Terrorism

Studying a Security Degree (BA) at Coventry University and hoping for a 2:1 which is the minimum requirement for applying for that course.

Minus the classification, what other areas will they look at or be interested in when applying to UCL?

Cheers!
Original post by Jim28
Is the portico website working ok? The first time I signed up to pre-enrol, it showed loads of module tabs and things, but now it only shows 'New Student Pre-Enrolment' and 'Useful Links'. Kind of stressing because I want to sort out fees and everything. :redface:

Sometimes the site is down and some of the links don't work. Keep trying though, sorry bout that..
Original post by Jim28

That's all I've ever seen on there.
The help thing is saying "Please complete the task below. All students starting a programme should complete this questionnaire, even if you have studied at UCL before. You must do this before you arrive at UCL for enrolment. You will see the main student epage once you you arrive.", but I've done that stuff.

Do you need to go through the whole Skills Planning crap?
Reply 2039
I asked a friend who's going to do Med there and it shows the same for her, even though it had options to see modules, timetables, results, etc. before. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending