The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2380
Original post by lilys
I'm pretty sure there's at least the Dean's List/Award plus maybe a faculty one (there's definitely one for second years); it's best if you check here: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/current-students/money/scholarships/scholarships

Still, I think the good results scholarships are pretty scarce, at least that's the general feeling. Maybe that's because yuo usually have to be nominated for them by your dept, as opposed to applying yourself - I am always worried that noone in my department simply can be bothered to do some paperwork, be it for scholarship or anything else.

I am getting more and more bitter, wish I was 18 again... :smile:

Elaborate, aren't you enjoying UCL?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2381
Original post by bmqib
Elaborate, aren't you enjoying UCL?

Haha actually I am, it's a fantastic uni. The only problem is that me being an international student, I don't get any maintenance loans/grants etc, unlike my UK friends. This, plus the cost of living in London, makes finance matters a bit difficult for me at times. Nothing to do with UCL in particular, though :smile:
Reply 2382
Original post by lilys
Haha actually I am, it's a fantastic uni. The only problem is that me being an international student, I don't get any maintenance loans/grants etc, unlike my UK friends. This, plus the cost of living in London, makes finance matters a bit difficult for me at times. Nothing to do with UCL in particular, though :smile:

OK, I am an international student (conditional offer holder) too!
Reply 2383
Original post by bmqib
OK, I am an international student (conditional offer holder) too!

Good luck with your exams then; feel free to PM me if you have any more questions!
Are there any current Economics and Statistics undergraduates around? PM
Reply 2385
hello, I am holding conditional offer to read Bsc Economics and would like to know whether there is any grant or scholarship for international students with good A2 results in August?
If there is any Economics student currently in UCL, may I ask how hard it's to get a first class as I know UCL tends to give less first than LSE for straight Eco?
Many thanks.
I've been wanting to go to UCL ever since I first heard about it back in 09!
However, I'm ever so worried, my predicted Alevel grades are BBDistniction, from looking at the courses I'd be interested in, I'm worried I won't even have a chance to get a place.

My questions are;
Is UCL very strict on good Alevel grades?
Any advice as to anything else I could be doing to help me get a place? (such as Extra Curriculum etc)
??????? bump ??????
Reply 2388
Original post by StevenKnott
I've been wanting to go to UCL ever since I first heard about it back in 09!
However, I'm ever so worried, my predicted Alevel grades are BBDistniction, from looking at the courses I'd be interested in, I'm worried I won't even have a chance to get a place.

My questions are;
Is UCL very strict on good Alevel grades?
Any advice as to anything else I could be doing to help me get a place? (such as Extra Curriculum etc)

Yes. If you aren't predicted/haven't already achieved the grades in the prospectus then consider your application to be a long shot.

If you get an offer and miss a grade on results day, they will almost definitely refuse you.
Are there any current (or grads) Economics w/ Year Abroad on here?

Do you recommend the program? I'm deciding between that course or business courses in my country. Also, where could I find information about the cost of 3rd year? I heard you pay a lower UCL tuition for the year abroad, but haven't been abel to find an amount

Thank you!! :smile:
Reply 2390
Original post by rockinrobin337

Do you recommend the program? I'm deciding between that course or business courses in my country. Also, where could I find information about the cost of 3rd year? I heard you pay a lower UCL tuition for the year abroad, but haven't been abel to find an amount

if you go abroad on ERASMUS your fee is waived. If it's something else you pay 1/3 of your normal fee to UCL.
Reply 2391
Original post by PJ991
if you go abroad on ERASMUS your fee is waived. If it's something else you pay 1/3 of your normal fee to UCL.

It is waived only if you're a EU/UK student, overseas people have to pay the reduced rate (but still have to pay).
Reply 2392
Original post by lilys
It is waived only if you're a EU/UK student, overseas people have to pay the reduced rate (but still have to pay).

that's true. I just assumed he/she was a home student.

my apologies:colondollar:
Reply 2393
Original post by PJ991
that's true. I just assumed he/she was a home student.

my apologies:colondollar:

Apologies accepted :wink:

Original post by rockinrobin337

You can find more info here: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/international-students/current-students/ucl-students-abroad/finance/index/

And I agree, it is rather difficult to come by this page
Reply 2394
This might sound stupid, but do catered halls have kitchens cause I get quite peckish in-between meals :P so what do you do if you want a quick snack or want to make a drink?
??????????
Reply 2396
hello, I've just received an offer for studying architecture at UCL and I'm a bit worried about the living costs. could anyone tell me how much would I have to spent for living in london for a week or a month?
flavb26

Accommodation is about £95 to £190 so you can choose where within that price range you want to go for. The rest is kind of personal choice - if you're minimalist on food then £10-15 per week is do-able. In terms of going out it depends if you club a lot: a lot of student nights are £5 and under, regular club nights are either a bit or a lot more. If you're a heavy drinker you'll probably have to stick to predrinks unless its the union on Monday which is £1 drinks, or £1.60 on Wednesdays. In terms of travel, you can walk pretty much anywhere in the radius of Camden down to Piccadilly although you won't always want to. I probably spend £10 a week topping up my Oyster.

So assuming you allow £130 for accommodation (this is the cheapest single room), then £10 for travel, £20 for going out, £15-20 for food and £10-15 for miscellaneous things like toiletries, laundry, clothes etc. then you're looking at about £190 per week. If you go for a shared room you can cut this down by about £30, if you don't go out much you can probably lose another tenner off it. In second and third year it's likely you'll spend more on travel but possibly less on accommodation (if you're lucky) and food if you split shopping bills with housemates. This will all vary depending on how restrained you are, and you will probably live in your overdraft for the majority of the year.

Hope that helped somewhat :smile:
Reply 2398
Original post by dirtyoldriver
Accommodation is about £95 to £190 so you can choose where within that price range you want to go for. The rest is kind of personal choice - if you're minimalist on food then £10-15 per week is do-able. In terms of going out it depends if you club a lot: a lot of student nights are £5 and under, regular club nights are either a bit or a lot more. If you're a heavy drinker you'll probably have to stick to predrinks unless its the union on Monday which is £1 drinks, or £1.60 on Wednesdays. In terms of travel, you can walk pretty much anywhere in the radius of Camden down to Piccadilly although you won't always want to. I probably spend £10 a week topping up my Oyster.

So assuming you allow £130 for accommodation (this is the cheapest single room), then £10 for travel, £20 for going out, £15-20 for food and £10-15 for miscellaneous things like toiletries, laundry, clothes etc. then you're looking at about £190 per week. If you go for a shared room you can cut this down by about £30, if you don't go out much you can probably lose another tenner off it. In second and third year it's likely you'll spend more on travel but possibly less on accommodation (if you're lucky) and food if you split shopping bills with housemates. This will all vary depending on how restrained you are, and you will probably live in your overdraft for the majority of the year.

Hope that helped somewhat :smile:

Thank you! It's been of great help!
is any one here can tell me some about Bartlett school, i got an offer on wednesday for Msc Construction Economics&Management.
By the i m an international.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply