Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    Massive bump
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know i'm a long way away from applying to a uni as i finish my A levels in 2014 but i'm really stuck on what to choose for my A levels this August and what will be 'good enough' for UCL. I'm planning on choosing either Law with Another Legal System or Law with Advanced Studies. For my A levels i'm thinking of picking English Language, English Literature, History and Maths and not sure if they're good enough or suitable for law. Plus i'm really confused about the LNAT, do you have to prepare/revise for it in anyway? :eek:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Kant Spall)
    Does anyone here at TSR know anything about the UCL foundation year for internationals? How do current UCL students perceive the program?

I'm an offer holder of 4 unconditionals from several unis (Edinburgh, Manchester, Leeds, and SOAS) but can't muster enough motivation to pursue that degree and want to switch to the sciences. Seems like this foundation year would be the opportunity to do just that, albeit at a steep cost.
    I did this foundation a year ago for law. Wouldn't recommend it for the students who want to study Law or Medicine as the number of those who actually got into UCL for these degrees is increasingly small. However, i would say students who wanna study science related degrees have a waay more chances to get into UCL. The majority of my friends who were at the Sciences got into UCL. So, Maths, Physics, Engineering, Chemistry etc. students. But be prepared to work veeeryy hard because the foundation course will **** your brains and nerves for sure. Believe a person who got through this hell and is still alive.
    Best of luck. If you need any info just sent me a msg, will try to help you with any advice
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have an unconditional offer for Law. I took English Lit, History, Maths and Biology - similar to yours. You should be absolutely fine.

For the LNAT the only way you can really prepare for it is by completely sample tests on the LNAT website. For the essay section of the LNAT you should make sure you read a newspaper everyday for a couple of weeks before taking it, to familiarise yourself with the writing, which is similar to how tsecrets ions in the test are written.
    To be honest though reading a newspaper is not entirely necessary.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Borderline)
    I have an unconditional offer for Law. I took English Lit, History, Maths and Biology - similar to yours. You should be absolutely fine.

For the LNAT the only way you can really prepare for it is by completely sample tests on the LNAT website. For the essay section of the LNAT you should make sure you read a newspaper everyday for a couple of weeks before taking it, to familiarise yourself with the writing, which is similar to how tsecrets ions in the test are written.
    To be honest though reading a newspaper is not entirely necessary.
    Okay thank-you so much, oh and what's an unconditional offer? :eek:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anotherlawstudent)
    Okay thank-you so much, oh and what's an unconditional offer? :eek:
    Oops, I meant I have a conditional offer! Anyway, an unconditional offer means that you do not have to achieve a set of grades - your offer is not conditional on your exam results.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Good afternoon,

I have a very trivial question for current UCL hall residents, I understand the rooms come supplied with an internet connection. Are these connections via an ethernet cable in the wall or wireless?

Plus do they block such things are playsation network or xbox live? or skype for that matter?

Thank you for your time
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    One question, although I know the handful of tube stations that's close to UCL. But, which one is closest? Which one is easiest to get to in terms of walking distance including the stairs and lifts?

Or is it department dependent?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Euston Square is the closest. Other near ones (5 minute walk max) are: Goodge Street, Warren Street, Euston and Russell Square.

Euston Square again. You come out on the corner of UCL itself.

I think Euston Square is the closest for most. Some departments (like Psychology) which aren't on the main campus would be closer to Russell Square (for instance).

EDIT: Random neg?

EDIT2: Can the neggers explain what's wrong with my post? I've explained it's the closest for most, which implies it isn't for all departments.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rtcw)
    One question, although I know the handful of tube stations that's close to UCL. But, which one is closest? Which one is easiest to get to in terms of walking distance including the stairs and lifts?

Or is it department dependent?
    I would say dept dependent. Although as said above, Euston Sq is the one closest on average; if you do mgmt you might be better off with Goodge Street; Euston is best for SSEES and Anthropology&Archeology; Speech Sciences or sth like that is wayyy off campus (closer to King's X).
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to apply to UCL for a biology/chemistry related degree this year, but I didn't take a language at GCSE. I'd be perfectly happy to work towards this requirement once at UCL (if I get in) as it says on the website, but I've heard from a few people that my application won't even be considered without one? Will not having a language GCSE make me a less competitive applicant? Please help!

I didn't do a language at GCSE because it wasn't a requirement for any universities at the time. I would have otherwise.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Bloomsbury Campus is quite small, 320 metres wide (Gower Street/Torrington Place junction to the eastern edge of Gordon Square). And about the same in length (Euston Square Station down Gower Street to Torrington Place)

So if you're building is in this main area (+Cruciform and Rockefeller since they open on Gower Street but on the other side) all the stations mentioned are really close and there's only going to be a matter of minutes in difference.

Most of them are on different lines too, so it's quite convenient anyway no matter where you're coming from.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ummm)
    I'm hoping to apply to UCL for a biology/chemistry related degree this year, but I didn't take a language at GCSE. I'd be perfectly happy to work towards this requirement once at UCL (if I get in) as it says on the website, but I've heard from a few people that my application won't even be considered without one? Will not having a language GCSE make me a less competitive applicant? Please help!

I didn't do a language at GCSE because it wasn't a requirement for any universities at the time. I would have otherwise.
    "For UK-based students, UCL also requires a Modern Language GCSE at grade C or above for all of its programmes. If you are not studying a Modern Language GCSE this will not prohibit the consideration of your application. For students who do not have a Modern Language GCSE, UCL will provide opportunities to meet the language requirement once enrolled at UCL. This will be either through taking a 0.5 course unit in a language as part of the degree programme or through studying for a specially designed certificate."
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    "For UK-based students, UCL also requires a Modern Language GCSE at grade C or above for all of its programmes. If you are not studying a Modern Language GCSE this will not prohibit the consideration of your application. For students who do not have a Modern Language GCSE, UCL will provide opportunities to meet the language requirement once enrolled at UCL. This will be either through taking a 0.5 course unit in a language as part of the degree programme or through studying for a specially designed certificate."
    Thanks! I might contact them just to make sure... they want me to include my UCAS number in the email as well though, but I haven't registered with UCAS yet, and on the website I can only see a place to register for 2012 entry, but I'm 2013 entry... what should I do?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ummm)
    Thanks! I might contact them just to make sure... they want me to include my UCAS number in the email as well though, but I haven't registered with UCAS yet, and on the website I can only see a place to register for 2012 entry, but I'm 2013 entry... what should I do?
    you aren't a current applicant so send it without, obviously. Just tell them you're considering, but wanted clarification regarding that.

they'll probably take ages to reply though.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    you aren't a current applicant so send it without, obviously. Just tell them you're considering, but wanted clarification regarding that.

they'll probably take ages to reply though.
    Okay - thanks!
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Capo_Kid)
    Good afternoon,

I have a very trivial question for current UCL hall residents, I understand the rooms come supplied with an internet connection. Are these connections via an ethernet cable in the wall or wireless?

Plus do they block such things are playsation network or xbox live? or skype for that matter?

Thank you for your time
    I live in Nutford House (intercollegiate hall) and we're connected to the Internet via ethernet cables.

They don't block Skype, I use it daily without any problems. I'm not sure about the rest though; I know that UoL is pretty obessed with blocking downloading websites.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello! International applicant for medicine at UCL here- I'd like to solicit your opinions regarding the clarity of teaching done at UCL. Do your lecturers teach fairly well? Are you guys satisfied with your course content? Would you be anywhere else other than UCL?

Is the support system there solid? Do you guys feel that 'help is just around the corner' if you face problems, academic-wise or social-wise?

In short, how have your student experiences been like?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anhedonia)
    Hello! International applicant for medicine at UCL here- I'd like to solicit your opinions regarding the clarity of teaching done at UCL. Do your lecturers teach fairly well? Are you guys satisfied with your course content? Would you be anywhere else other than UCL?

Is the support system there solid? Do you guys feel that 'help is just around the corner' if you face problems, academic-wise or social-wise?

In short, how have your student experiences been like?
    I don't do medicine. But the very people I do know who do all enjoy it. They're often quite insular, but that's understandable due to their many hours, and being put in smaller groups.

I would say there is good support. You've got your personal tutor to go to for many problems, and in my experience they're very helpful and understanding. If you perhaps don't get along or want to hear something else, you could go to your undergraduate tutor for the same thing. Then for more unofficial things there are a few things the Union provides such as the Nightline service and they have advice sessions about all sorts, course related or not. As well as that there's UCL Psychological Services should you need that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone here to Statistics and Management for Business or know anything about it?

Advice/info about how youre finding the course, career prospects, what graduates have gone on to do, difficulty...anything really, would be greatly appreciated. If possible can you PM me about it?
    Thank you!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 23, 2014
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.