The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2460
Original post by rockinrobin337
I've been accepted to the Economics w/ A Year Abroad program - I was just wondering what the selection process is for the universities you go to in the third year. I'm interested in 3, but I reckon they're the most popular ones. How much does your preference count in selection?

And also, this may seem like a stupid question, but how difficult do you rate the work load and content at UCL (specifically for Economics?). I'm coming from Canada and I feel that our schooling isn't as rigorous as at UCL, so sometimes I feel like I'm not prepared in that sense

As far as I am aware, Economics is pretty difficult and if you don't grasp maths you may struggle... But this may be just the general feeling around uni; I don't really know anyone who hangs out with Economics students - they seem to have time only for networking sessions and IB internships :smile: (ok, just kiddin, before sb points out how unfair and stereotypically-thinking I am)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2461
Original post by rockinrobin337
I've been accepted to the Economics w/ A Year Abroad program - I was just wondering what the selection process is for the universities you go to in the third year. I'm interested in 3, but I reckon they're the most popular ones. How much does your preference count in selection

I'm not an economics student, but I'm doing erasmus. In our deparment, you got to express two preferences. If the ones you wanted were oversubscribed, they chose who got the places based on exam marks. I know people with lower grades who put down two highly sought after unis, and ended up in the place no one wanted to go to. But it could be different for economics (or a lot more competitive, since it seems Economics students have an insane drive compared to me and my friends haha).
Reply 2462
hey everyone
has anyone applied for maths with econ or currently doing it?
if so, how is the course and prospects for internships/jobs at investment banks ?
thanks!
Reply 2463
Hi, I firmed UCL, but i happen to be confused with the whole living situation. Will they allocate me to a dorm room? Or do I have to somehow tell them what i prefer? Also, from this thread I have understood you can choose between meals or eating out? What is the thing thats recommended?
I am sorry with my confusion, I am international and did not find information elsewhere

Does anyone know how the industry placements for MSc Management are ?
Reply 2465
Original post by vgj
Hi, I firmed UCL, but i happen to be confused with the whole living situation. Will they allocate me to a dorm room? Or do I have to somehow tell them what i prefer? Also, from this thread I have understood you can choose between meals or eating out? What is the thing thats recommended?
I am sorry with my confusion, I am international and did not find information elsewhere

You need to apply for accommodation, but they should send you the forms. You will write down some preferences and they will allocate you somewhere (my preferences were hardly met though).

It will be either a catered or self-catered hall. If it's self-catered, you will have to find food on your own. I don't know whether it works the same for all the catered halls, but you can't opt out of paying for meals at mine, but if you really don't want to go for breakfast, brunch or dinner, no one will haul you there.
So I've finally firmed up my UCL Law offer for this coming September :smile:
And I was just wondering if you have some advice on what accommodation to go for? Also, should I get sent a form in the post now that I've replied to my offer, or is there a form I have to find online?
Thanks!x
Reply 2467
This is probably a stupid question (ok, I got lost on the website...), but on what day are 1st yrs expected to arrive in September? Is it the 24th or sometime during the weekend 22nd-23rd?
Original post by vgj

You are supposed to apply online this year, see http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/accommodation. I guess as an udergraduate international you are guaranteed to get a room.
Hi! I was going through the degree programme and modules for bio-sciences to see what I would I be interested in, but I cannot seem to find the info about how many modules you have to or can choose (what should be the total credit value?). I would appreciate any help!:smile: Thanks!
Original post by Dominika4
Hi! I was going through the degree programme and modules for bio-sciences to see what I would I be interested in, but I cannot seem to find the info about how many modules you have to or can choose (what should be the total credit value?). I would appreciate any help!:smile: Thanks!

Which course were you looking at? I'm pretty sure for all first year Life Sciences courses you can't choose modules - but you can from second year onwards. There're not all the same for every course though, but do have some overlaps.
Original post by Izzybeth
This is probably a stupid question (ok, I got lost on the website...), but on what day are 1st yrs expected to arrive in September? Is it the 24th or sometime during the weekend 22nd-23rd?

The weekend onwards you'll have your accommodation, uni starts on 24th. It's worth moving in on Sat/Sun.
Original post by Waterstorm
Which course were you looking at? I'm pretty sure for all first year Life Sciences courses you can't choose modules - but you can from second year onwards. There're not all the same for every course though, but do have some overlaps.

Biological Sciences Course. This is the page: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/lifesciences-faculty/degree-programmes/biological-sciences/bsc-biology. Yes, there are core modules that you have to attend, but there are also optional ones (from year 1), however, no mention of how many of them (or of what total credit value) you can take...
(edited 11 years ago)
Biological Sciences Course. This is the page: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/lifesciences-faculty/degree-programmes/biological-sciences/bsc-biology. Yes, there are core modules that you have to attend, but there are also optional ones (from the year 1), however, no mention of how many of them (or of what total credit value) you can take...

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/lifesciences-faculty/degree-programmes/biological-sciences/BSc_Biological_sciences

You have to 4 course units per year at ucl. So, if there's 3 core ones, you can choose 1 extra full course or 2 half courses.
Original post by Waterstorm
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/lifesciences-faculty/degree-programmes/biological-sciences/BSc_Biological_sciences

You have to 4 course units per year at ucl. So, if there's 3 core ones, you can choose 1 extra full course or 2 half courses.

Thanks! So, if I understand it correctly 4 modules are compulsory - is it possible to choose more if it fits in with your schedule?
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi! I realize that this post might not be answered - since the object of my interest and subject of my question appears to be quite rare:smile: - but - I just have to ask it: Are there any fellow Slovak students? I came across Czech and Polish students, but none Slovaks whatsoever...So, are you there? Do you know of anyone?:smile: Hope will not be alone (the only one)...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2476
Hi! I realize that this post might not be answered - since the object of my interest and subject of my question appears to be quite rare:smile: - but - I just have to ask it: Are there any fellow Slovak students? I came across Czech and Polish students, but none Slovaks whatsoever...So, are you there? Do you know of anyone?:smile: Hope will not be alone (the only one)...

Have a look here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/381353162280/ :wink: There's one Slovak girl I'm aware of (she's in the final year though), then I know one offer-holder for Master's studies.
Original post by Ivanka
Have a look here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/381353162280/ :wink: There's one Slovak girl I'm aware of (she's in the final year though), then I know one offer-holder for Master's studies.

I've firmed UCL and just finished my student finance application. My maintenance grant is only £926, isn't that really low or is it just me? Thanks.
Original post by Dinothunder
I've firmed UCL and just finished my student finance application. My maintenance grant is only £926, isn't that really low or is it just me? Thanks.

Mine is only £406. And there are some who don't get any grant.... you'll live.

Quick Reply

Latest