The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Is there a place nearby UCL where one can enjoy some sun-tanning in a solarium?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 21
GdotL
Do you have any accommodation advice?
Tips for the form?
It would be very helpful!

Hope that helps :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=545863 x
Reply 22
This is an 'accommodation' question. You know those little notes that people slip in along with your accommodation form, yeah that's right those notes where you plead to get into a certain student house or hall. Where did you (current students who live in ucl provided accommodation) normally write it, on the form or on a different piece of paper? And does it actually tend to work?
brokenheroes
intercollegiate halls means you can mix with other unis, if you wish to. i live in london anyway so i have friends not from ucl here to start with.

and yeah it's fun. its not that expensive either, you'll soon learn what the cheap nights are, the union runs a night where drinks are 99p, theres cheapskates at moonlighting on a wednesday, afterskool at lse on a saturday.. and most of the big clubs in london do student nights which are a lot cheaper to get in to.

Ah right.

How about jobs. What sort of jobs do students end up going? And what's quite well paid/ the best sorts of jobs? Is it difficult to find a job near to where you live?
Reply 24
This question has probably been asked before but nevermind:biggrin: I got invited to an interview at SSEES and i'm wondering what i should wear. I was thinking about some smart trousers, black shoes and a shirt (tie?). I don't want to go over the top but at the same time i don't want to be the only kid who's dressed inappropriately. Any advice would be awesome :smile:
Original post by SylverStrike
I haven't visited UCL yet, but I worry that since it isn't a campus based university, there won't be any sense or feeling of having a 'home', if you see what I mean. The only universities I've looked at so far are all on their own campuses, so you sort of feel secure, but I worry that it won't be the same with UCL. So, for those that are at UCL now, does it feel like you have a base to return to?

Sorry if this question isn't worded very well, but I'm not sure how else to put it.

I get what you mean. I live up in NW5 (in the stinky postgrads' hall) and I consider it to be my home. I like this, because it means you integrate with the local community more (i.e. you visit local pubs, play football in local parks) rather than being in town all the time. I consider Camden to have more individual character than Bloomsbury tbh, because people live there.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 26
johnbrown
Ah right.

How about jobs. What sort of jobs do students end up going? And what's quite well paid/ the best sorts of jobs? Is it difficult to find a job near to where you live?

Generally most people hit the shops on Tottenham Court Road. At Christmas there are plenty of retail jobs going...though keep in mind that we share this area with so many other schools -Birkbeck, SOAS, King's etc so be sure to get your applications in early :smile:

Retail are probably the best jobs, you can get a oretty decent-ish wage usually about £6 something an hour and upwards if you look around.

Can also apply for jobs in the student bar and student shops on campus!
Reply 27
Rob_K
This question has probably been asked before but nevermind:biggrin: I got invited to an interview at SSEES and i'm wondering what i should wear. I was thinking about some smart trousers, black shoes and a shirt (tie?). I don't want to go over the top but at the same time i don't want to be the only kid who's dressed inappropriately. Any advice would be awesome :smile:

My friend is at SSEES, for his interview he wore black trousers, shirt but no tie. He was smart casual which is what most people go as..then again on my law interview day half the people were milling around in jeans lol
Reply 28
i just really wanna go UCL lol.
jaz_jaz
i just really wanna go UCL lol.

Me too, days off are rather stinky.

3 hours at college tomorrow, woo!
Reply 30
GdotL
Do you have any accommodation advice?
Tips for the form?
It would be very helpful!

Hmm, well it depends on what you want really.

I really wanted Arthur Tattersall or John Tovell/ Cambell House so I put self catering on my form and ticked proximity to campus as my most important factor.

Its all about a process of selection, if you're smart with your choices on the form you will most likely get where you want to be :smile:
Reply 31
brokenheroes
Post away, we'll be happy to help, only if you keep you pesky kids away from our chat thread :yeah:

Nice thread idea btw! How did you find the midsessionals? :smile:
Reply 32
easy_lemon
Hmm, well it depends on what you want really.

I really wanted Arthur Tattersall or John Tovell/ Cambell House so I put self catering on my form and ticked proximity to campus as my most important factor.

Its all about a process of selection, if you're smart with your choices on the form you will most likely get where you want to be :smile:

Did you get AT in the end? :p:
Reply 33
9mm
This is an 'accommodation' question. You know those little notes that people slip in along with your accommodation form, yeah that's right those notes where you plead to get into a certain student house or hall. Where did you (current students who live in ucl provided accommodation) normally write it, on the form or on a different piece of paper? And does it actually tend to work?

I cut about a 1/4 of a page of plain A4 and wrote on there, then slipped it in with the accommodation form. It also worked like a charm, however I was asking to be put in the cheapest least desired halls available (Max Rayne - it's top though)
Does anyone do LLB Law with the year abroad in another country - Hong Kong, Australia, Singapore etc. ?
Reply 35
SylverStrike
I haven't visited UCL yet, but I worry that since it isn't a campus based university, there won't be any sense or feeling of having a 'home', if you see what I mean. The only universities I've looked at so far are all on their own campuses, so you sort of feel secure, but I worry that it won't be the same with UCL. So, for those that are at UCL now, does it feel like you have a base to return to?

Sorry if this question isn't worded very well, but I'm not sure how else to put it.

I feel at home, around the university area and on tottenham court road. That road has so many memories after just a term. No I know what you mean, but I certainly feel attached to the area, despite there being no formal boundaries.
Reply 36
9mm
Did you get AT in the end? :p:

I DID!!!

See...manipulating the system does work :p:
Reply 37
easy_lemon
I DID!!!

See...manipulating the system does work :p:

Impressive... haha :p:

But got anything else to share, because ticking all the right boxes alone won't lead to that one specific accommodation, unless you're really lucky?

Ed.
I cut about a 1/4 of a page of plain A4 and wrote on there, then slipped it in with the accommodation form. It also worked like a charm, however I was asking to be put in the cheapest least desired halls available (Max Rayne - it's top though)

alright thanks, that's what I was thinking of doing as there's not much space on the form (although I've heard some write it on the form anyway), I'll just have to attach it gently to the form so they don't miss it in the envelope.
I sent my form off yesterday, with a little post-it note stuck on it with please and thankyous...!

Not sure if it was a good idea now come to think of it.
Really hope they put me somewhere decent though!! :smile:
Reply 39
harro. I haven't had any response from UCL yet, no acknowledgment or nothin'. I didn't get one last year either, but this time around I didn't apply via UCAS I just emailed them, as they said to do on their website. I don't know how a term at UCL would equip you to better answer this question, but, should I ring them? I don't want to annoy the admissions people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending