The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

I just looked at term dates and it appears that there are 2 very long breaks (1 month long). Is it really a free time, without any lectures etc. or not necessarily?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by cortadita
I just looked at term dates and it appears that there are 2 very long breaks (1 month long). Is it really a free time, without any lectures etc. or not necessarily?

Easter and Christmas :biggrin: You'll be glad you have them to be honest, there's still plenty to do even without lectures and such. (Also most people just spend most of that time at home)
I'm appearing out of nowhere but hello! Since I'm here let me introduce: To-be 2nd year Psychology and Language Science student, lived in Schafer House last year.
You guys can ask me questions :smile: but I'm mainly here scouting for a flatmate for my flat near UCL, anyone looking for private accommodation?
Hello to everyone. I am a greek student coming to UCL in September for postgraduate studies and I have quite a big range of questions for all those kind souls willing to help me out :biggrin:. Ok, so here we go: First of all, I have been receiving many invitations for "UCL's fresher's week". Can anyone explain to me what this special week is about? Is it addressed to all new students or just undergraduates? What kind of events take place during this week?

Also, as far as more technical issues are concerned, I already have a european health insurance card, but I was wondering if the university provides any medical insurance to the students as well(?). Last but not least, the cheapest way for a student to travel inside london using public transportation is through student Oyster card, did I get it right?

[My other questions concern my master's programme (classics), so if a Classicist was willing to PM me and talk about it, I would be really grateful. :smile:]

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to read my questions and answer. :smile:
Hey! Coming to UCL this September, and got my accomodation offer for schafer house. Did you like living there? Was it a social accomodation? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RAccurso
Hey! Coming to UCL this September, and got my accomodation offer for schafer house. Did you like living there? Was it a social accomodation? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hiya!
I really liked living in Schafer, I lived in a 3 person flat which was cosy but I knew lot's of people living in bigger ones (up to 6 I think)... cosy regardless. Towards the end of this year, they've refurbished the common room and computer room so you guys living there from September will have it extra nice :smile:
I'd say it's a social accommodation at the start of term and whenever there's events like Halloween. It also depends on the type of people that live there that year, as everywhere else I guess. If you happen to be living facing the courtyard and common room, it can get noisy on weekend nights but apart from that its quite peaceful throughout. Also, since it isn't huge, you often find yourself bumping into the same people and make friends that way :biggrin:
But yeah, I think you'll like Schafer, don't know anyone that hasn't, wish I could live there for another year :colondollar:
Reply 4066
Original post by geodel2110
Hello to everyone. I am a greek student coming to UCL in September for postgraduate studies and I have quite a big range of questions for all those kind souls willing to help me out :biggrin:. Ok, so here we go: First of all, I have been receiving many invitations for "UCL's fresher's week". Can anyone explain to me what this special week is about? Is it addressed to all new students or just undergraduates? What kind of events take place during this week?

freshers' week is for everyone, old and new, post and undergrads. there are many parties and special events (free and paid) from societies and clubs. Lots of people hang out in the union bars.

Also, as far as more technical issues are concerned, I already have a european health insurance card, but I was wondering if the university provides any medical insurance to the students as well(?). Last but not least, the cheapest way for a student to travel inside london using public transportation is through student Oyster card, did I get it right?

NHS is free for all EU citizens so you don't need medical insurance in the UK. Use an oyster card but only get a student one if you intend to buy a travelcard. Depending on where you live, you may or may not want this. I took the tube every day for two years but I never did it in rush hour so I didn't need a travelcard. If you did take the tube every weekday in rush hour, you'd want a travelcard.

[My other questions concern my master's programme (classics), so if a Classicist was willing to PM me and talk about it, I would be really grateful. :smile:]
i canne help you here

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to read my questions and answer. :smile:
Original post by Orenjichan
Hiya!
I really liked living in Schafer, I lived in a 3 person flat which was cosy but I knew lot's of people living in bigger ones (up to 6 I think)... cosy regardless. Towards the end of this year, they've refurbished the common room and computer room so you guys living there from September will have it extra nice :smile:
I'd say it's a social accommodation at the start of term and whenever there's events like Halloween. It also depends on the type of people that live there that year, as everywhere else I guess. If you happen to be living facing the courtyard and common room, it can get noisy on weekend nights but apart from that its quite peaceful throughout. Also, since it isn't huge, you often find yourself bumping into the same people and make friends that way :biggrin:
But yeah, I think you'll like Schafer, don't know anyone that hasn't, wish I could live there for another year :colondollar:

Thank you so much! Your insight has made me excited to move in now! Can't wait!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nb0
freshers' week is for everyone, old and new, post and undergrads. there are many parties and special events (free and paid) from societies and clubs. Lots of people hang out in the union bars.

NHS is free for all EU citizens so you don't need medical insurance in the UK. Use an oyster card but only get a student one if you intend to buy a travelcard. Depending on where you live, you may or may not want this. I took the tube every day for two years but I never did it in rush hour so I didn't need a travelcard. If you did take the tube every weekday in rush hour, you'd want a travelcard.

i canne help you here

Thank you so much for your help. :smile::smile:
Reply 4069
going to be a 2nd year Economist at UCL this September. Joined football, dodgeball, many other societies, can give take on social life too.

Hit me up!
Original post by KD35
going to be a 2nd year Economist at UCL this September. Joined football, dodgeball, many other societies, can give take on social life too.

Hit me up!

What's hockey like?
Did you join any of those sports being relatively new to them?
Are people friendly to those that haven't played for a while/are new to it?
Did you join any non-sporting societies?
How did your time management work out?

Sorry for all the questions :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
At last, another Biological Sciences applicant :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't got the reading list either :frown:
I've got an unconditional from UCL for History but I'm so scared. I hear that everyone has A*A*AA, I don't have anywhere near that! I really want to get a first. I'll die for one. I'm just so worried that I won't be good enough.

Is London really that scary? I live in a small village, so whilst I'm so excited about coming to London and a whole new life, I'm kind of scared.
Original post by elenagrout
I haven't got the reading list either :frown:

I'm guessing that we'll get it (if they send it out) after results day. Who knows :redface:
Original post by DailyMailIsALiar
I've got an unconditional from UCL for History but I'm so scared. I hear that everyone has A*A*AA, I don't have anywhere near that! I really want to get a first. I'll die for one. I'm just so worried that I won't be good enough.

Apologies in advance for a wall of text.

I graduated from UCL History in 2012 but I am pretty sure that the average A Level/GCSE grade profile for each cohort remains very high. The important thing to note here is that the admissions team still decided to choose you. They know what they're doing and if they selected you, you are in all probability good enough. Just turn up, do the reading/work on time, prep for seminars and see how you get along. Don't stress too much in your first year, it barely counts (for the sake of getting a first.)

You could actually get a first by getting straight thirds all through years 1-2 and getting straight firsts in final year when I was at UCL but this might have changed. Take first year as a learning experience. If you want actual academic advice, feel free to ask away but that might be even duller than what I'm already writing :colondollar:

Also with regards to feeling anxiety about fitting in. London is a pretty special place: it's very cosmopolitan and you'll meet people from all over the world with a variety of different perspectives. Look at it as an opportunity to open your mind. It's only a few years of your life and if you don't like it, you can always leave London with the knowledge that it is not for you.

I think it's important for you to realise that nearly everyone suffers from some degree of social anxiety during Freshers Week. Pretty much everyone is outside of their comfort zone in a new part of town/England/the world, with new people in a new environment that is so different from being in school. The good part about that is that it's an opportunity to try new things, meet new people and generally discover something new. If anything, the collective anxiety allows you to chat to pretty much anyone in Freshers. Everyone's friendly, everyone wants a new mate and everyone wants to have a good time. All you can do is hop on the ride and see where it goes. Most people enjoy it.

Is London really that scary? I live in a small village, so whilst I'm so excited about coming to London and a whole new life, I'm kind of scared.

how did you get an unconditional?
Has anyone received a pre enrolment email yet?
Hello everyone. Please has anyone here experienced, or know someone who has experienced, LATE resumption? I mean LATE like after the date specified on the CAS. Hoping to get an answer soonest. Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about the grade profile on starting; we're all going to have the same lectures and seminars, so we'll all start off at the same level. A first is achievable!

London is certainly different, but pretty easy to settle into. See you in Sept!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all - I'm the Democracy & Comms Officer at UCL Union and I studied German & History (History at SSEES). If you have any questions about either the SU or what I studied give me a shout. If you just found out you got in then save all the questions and go and celebrate!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending