The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Any architecture students? How intense is the workload in first year?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Betherella93
Hi,

I am thinking of applying for Applied Medical Sciences at UCL - does anyone here study the course and wouldn't mind me asking them a few questions about it.

Many Thanks
Laura

Hi
I just graduated from Biomedical Sciences at UCL - so I can help with that. I'm not too sure about Applied Med Sci though - i think it is just more based on clinical practical work, rather than science research in bio and medical sciences (which is what i do).
let me know if any specific question!
:smile:
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
*Sigh* I'm going to miss my offer. Pleeeease does anyone know whether UCL will ever give people a second chance and accept re-applicants if they've done an entire set of new A-levels or something? :emo:

From my experience:

If you have had extenuating circumstances (eg. medical problems, family, financial problems, etc) they may accept you if you just about miss your offer, or give you a chance to retake an exam/unit and meet the offer they wanted.

If no extenuating circ: then they will accept you only if other students with an offer also didnt do so well, and if they have enough space for you. If not, you could retake A-levels, but they would probably ask for a higher offer !

either way - it is definitely worth getting in touch with the admissions tutor and trying to highlight things about you eg work experience, or activities, or other, and show them you're really passionate with this course - remember: they are still very busy people!

also: What subject have you applied for?
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
Well, tbh I'm not every hopeful because I know how competitive UCL are, and for Law especially. :eek2:
Thank you immeasurably for your reply, I was planning to talk to the tutors on results day (however futile it may be).
Do you know anyone who got in having missed their offer? :colondollar:

Yeah I know Law is very competitive, just like Medicine.

I just graduated from my BSc in Biomedical Sciences and they were very strict on getting AAA at a minimum when i applied 3 years ago. I already had my scores when i applied: A*A*A A A - because I did IB and A-levels in 3 years + i had work experience, and then i applied at uni, and then i got the place.

I know plenty of people at my old school who missed their offer for a range of science/arts subjects, at UCL and oxbridge - and they still got in!!! To be honest they had very good reasons -eg. the school lost one of their exam scripts, medical reasons, etc.

My best advice to you would be to ask the admin tutor for a conditional deferred entry if they cannot have you this year - they may ask you to take a gap year to do another a-level and get an A* + get more work experience, and then you can do UCL Law in sept 2017. - But that's up to you.

Best wishes
Got an unconditional for Econ (on a gap year atm) and super excited for next year :smile:

I've heard that Econ at UCL is one of the most math-heavy courses along with Cambridge, which is great, but are there a lot of essays to hand it nonetheless or at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I've been interested in UCL for many years now (History applicant). But I always hear complaints about the accommodation and it really puts me off. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this? :h:
Original post by UCLScienceMan365
From my experience:

If you have had extenuating circumstances (eg. medical problems, family, financial problems, etc) they may accept you if you just about miss your offer, or give you a chance to retake an exam/unit and meet the offer they wanted.

If no extenuating circ: then they will accept you only if other students with an offer also didnt do so well, and if they have enough space for you. If not, you could retake A-levels, but they would probably ask for a higher offer !

either way - it is definitely worth getting in touch with the admissions tutor and trying to highlight things about you eg work experience, or activities, or other, and show them you're really passionate with this course - remember: they are still very busy people!

also: What subject have you applied for?

thank you for your informative posts? do you know if UCL provides a form for extenuating circumstances before the results day or does one just call them on the results day?
Original post by baebae
thank you for your informative posts? do you know if UCL provides a form for extenuating circumstances before the results day or does one just call them on the results day?

no no

the extenuating circ which affected your a-level results have to be done through your school - your teacher/tutors or person writing ucas reference can write a note saying you had a particular problem (eg. financial, medical, personal/family, exams got lost, examiners didnot mark properly, etc) which unfairly affected you.

you need to do that now before results day, so you are ready for results day.

if one or more of your scores was much worse than predicted, then you have the documents ready to send to the uni

then UCL/unis, will take these in consideration where deciding which students to admit
Original post by UCLScienceMan365
no no

the extenuating circ which affected your a-level results have to be done through your school - your teacher/tutors or person writing ucas reference can write a note saying you had a particular problem (eg. financial, medical, personal/family, exams got lost, examiners didnot mark properly, etc) which unfairly affected you.

you need to do that now before results day, so you are ready for results day.

if one or more of your scores was much worse than predicted, then you have the documents ready to send to the uni

then UCL/unis, will take these in consideration where deciding which students to admit

Ohh I see! thank you for your detailed reply! :smile:
do you know how lenient is UCL with regards to biochem?
Original post by baebae
Ohh I see! thank you for your detailed reply! :smile:
do you know how lenient is UCL with regards to biochem?

well i cant tell you for sure
i did Biomed at UCL and i think biochem is the same
they are very flexible - and if they gave you an offer it means they want you
the admin tutors are quite nice

it can only depend on the competition (the other students who also applied / have an offer)

if the other students also didnt do very well, and the course have more available spaces, then you are more likely to get on the course

so it really depends on how many places are available and how good the other applicants are.
What about Mechanical engineering? How lenient are they with this?
Hi,

I had a look at the contents of Mathematical Methods 1 and was wondering if it's just a recap of FP2/3 & S1/2.
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/maths/courses/undergraduates/modules/year1/year1_syllabuses/1401
I am currently a sixth form student hoping to apply to UCL. I have been looking at the Chemistry course at UCL. There is very little information about labs on the website. I would like to ask, do you have lab classes at UCL? I have seen that other universities have lab classes 10 hours a week where they carry out practicals and are required to complete a write up for practicals. Is this the same for UCL? If so, how many hours a week do you have labs?

I would also like to ask whether it is better to do a Msci or BSc? Is getting a good job equally likely with both?
Original post by brokenheroes
Post away, we'll be happy to help, only if you keep you pesky kids away from our chat thread :yeah:

I am currently a sixth form student hoping to apply to UCL. I have been looking at the Chemistry course at UCL. There is very little information about labs on the website. I would like to ask, do you have lab classes at UCL? I have seen that other universities have lab classes 10 hours a week where they carry out practicals and are required to complete a write up for practicals. Is this the same for UCL? If so, how many hours a week do you have labs?I would also like to ask whether it is better to do a Msci or BSc? Is getting a good job equally likely with both?
Original post by Nayera16
I am currently a sixth form student hoping to apply to UCL. I have been looking at the Chemistry course at UCL. There is very little information about labs on the website. I would like to ask, do you have lab classes at UCL? I have seen that other universities have lab classes 10 hours a week where they carry out practicals and are required to complete a write up for practicals. Is this the same for UCL? If so, how many hours a week do you have labs?I would also like to ask whether it is better to do a Msci or BSc? Is getting a good job equally likely with both?

I study biology but have taken chemistry modules.

1) Yes you'll have many hours of lab. Last year and this year I took CHEM modules and had 4 hours a week. My friend just completed her MSci Chemistry degrer and told me she had days where she had 10 hour labs during her MSci year. It will likely vary though depending on which modules you pick.
2) If you want to go into research, Phd etc, maybe do an MSci. Otherwise, it is more important that you gain experience. These days your degree certification alone isn't enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SteamboatMickey
So I've been interested in UCL for many years now (History applicant). But I always hear complaints about the accommodation and it really puts me off. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this? :h:

Hi! It's true that UCL's accommodation has had something of a bad press over recent years - just google UCL's rent strike and you'll get some idea of the scope of the issue (although this is part of a wider issue with London uni accommodation, and is not just restricted to UCL). My experience was that the accommodation was liveable, although it did feel like a lot to pay for not very much in return in comparison to what my friends in non-London universities were getting. I had friends in different halls though who had worse experiences than I did - heating failures, pests, etc.

It wouldn't put me off of applying for halls again, because they're a great way to meet new people and get into the uni atmosphere, which I personally think helps when the halls aren't necessarily close to the main uni site. But just be wary that this is London, and you're probably not going to get much bang for your buck, whether that's with halls or privately rented accommodation. That's just my experience; other people may see differently.
How is the first year workload on Mathematics? Not sure if I will meet the offer but want to know none the less. More precicely, how much analysis is done in the first year and is the introduction to it really fast and difficult? (same for Linear algebra and algebra, geometry and the more applied sections like Stats and Mechanics)I applied for Maths with Modern Languages, will I be able to continue my study of French there or will I be forced to take a different language

(Reposted question as no one answered)
How lenient is UCL on results day for those who have physical medical conditions that affected them during their exams?
Any current med students on here? How much patient contact and small group work is there in first year? It isn't just lectures and anat labs for the first year right?
Original post by -Miracle
Got an unconditional for Econ (on a gap year atm) and super excited for next year :smile:

I've heard that Econ at UCL is one of the most math-heavy courses along with Cambridge, which is great, but are there a lot of essays to hand it nonetheless or at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile

congrats on the offer!!!! :-)
I'm not sure about Econ, but i just graduated from Biomed BSc (also a lot of maths) and there was a lot of essays! - coursework essays in Y1,2,3. In year 1 exams are short answer questions like a-lvel, in yr 2 and 3 - all end-of-year exams are literally all essays... Some of my buddies doing Physics and Mathematics - also had a lot of essays :s-smilie: :frown:
- i think all (or most) subjects at UCL is essays (perhaps) because UCL think short answer questions are not intellectually intensive enough... i guess that's a good thing?!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest