The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mortal infinity
How lenient is UCL on results day for those who have physical medical conditions that affected them during their exams?

(see my previous posts in this thread)

but to reiterate: yes they are lenient, like many other unis. they tend to be flexible.

but you will need documentary evidence - your school should've been notified about your problem before or during the time you sat your exams. the a-level (or equivalent) exam boards will also need to be notified. make sure your teacher/school referee has the documentary evidence so that they can give a supporting statement with the email you send to the uni on results day.

the admin tutors may then decide to have you take a gap year to retake certain units and achieve higher grades than the offer.

also it will depend on the competition - admin tutors will judge which students are the best on their opinion
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
hello, does any one know what happens if someone who accepted a conditional offer (llm), then decides to go to other university or does meet the conditions? Do I have to pay anything?

and if I meet the required conditions, can I withdraw my application after that without having to pay?

Thank you
(edited 7 years ago)
How are living costs in London? Obviously, it's probably one of the most expensive places. I have an affinity for London, as many do I'm sure, and would love to study History at UCL. I'm just concerned about the cost of living etc...

Going to London for a few days tomorrow :biggrin:
Hi Guys, is anyone here who can give opinions about their Master's courses? Have you found the job easily or still looking? I am starting MSc Urban Design and City Planning this September and cannot wait for the journey to start :biggrin:.
A room would be around 450-600 a month.. But it surely depends on how you live. I share a 1 bedroom apt with my bf and that is 700 each incl. bills. A 2-3 bedroom apt would be around 400-550 i'd say. But to be safe, 500 at least per month. Bills are not that bad. About 30 per month per person on electricity and gas, 15 on water p.p. Citytax is about 100 per household. And groceries etc depends on your lifestyle :smile:
Original post by joannadymowska
Hi Guys, is anyone here who can give opinions about their Master's courses? Have you found the job easily or still looking? I am starting MSc Urban Design and City Planning this September and cannot wait for the journey to start :biggrin:.

Exciting! At the Bartlett? My MSc is also at the Bartlett. I still have to find a job too, haha.. Tomorrow my job search is going to start
Yes, at Bartlett. MSc Uban Design and City Planning! Good luck with your search :biggrin: Do you live in London or you moved in recently to study here?
Reply 5147
Hi, I've already posted this twice on other forums but I'm desperate for an answer!

I've placed UCL as my firm for English Literature with entry requirements of AAA, however my dad passed away after a long illness in June before I'd sat the majority of my exams - meaning I had to take time out of school and revision. My school has applied for special consideration on my behalf and contacted UCL twice; once about my father's illness a few months ago and about his death - but I'm still worried that I may not reach the AAA entry requirements :/ . Does anyone know if there is any likelihood of me being accepted despite missing the entry requirements if the university know about the extenuating circumstances? I've tried looking into it I but can't find any examples of anyone in a similar situation - do I stand a chance or should I be steeling myself for rejection? Does UCL have a track record on this sort of situation Any help/ advice would be appreciated!
What kind of maths will you be dealing with for the first year of economics at UCL?
A long shot, but anyone here studying mathematical computation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by slb971
Sorry if this has been asked before, but would like some info to help me decide on Chemical Engineering at this uni.
So chem eng students;
- Whats your timetable like? is it many 9am starts and 5pm finishes?
- How are the facilities? Pilot plant etc and do you get to use them often?
- Is the course difficult/challenging? Would hate to do slightly harder than A-Level maths for 4 years.
- Are the lecturers good? do you feel you can get help when you don't understand something?
- Was UCL your firm? What other universities did you apply to and/or turn down.

Look forward to replies, thanks.

Just finished first year chem eng. First term and second term timetables are different, but I had 9ams 4 days for both, and never finished at 5. There aren't labs in the first year so don't worry about facilities in the first year, can't comment past first year. The course so far has definitely been challenging, but nothing knuckling down can't help! The lecturers - bar maybe 3, are really bad. Spent most the year studying and understanding stuff on my own, and again, only like 2-3 are any good at helping outside of lectures. What I've written may seem pretty grim, don't get me wrong I enjoyed my year though!
I'm going to be studying Biochemistry this year at UCL and I'm wondering if lecturers usually upload their lectures/hand out notes of their slides during their lectures? Also when do we get our reading lists?? Thank you!
Hi guys. I just received my accommodation offer for Hawkridge House. Pretty happy with it as I believe the site is mostly for postgraduate students and I am one myself. However I couldn't find much information about it online- very few pictures and absolutely no virtual tours.

Any resident who can comment on things such as, room size and quality, the number of people per flat, and condition of the infrastructure - new/refurbished/run-down? Also, how is life there in general- social as well as academic? It's good to see that they have a computer cluster room as well as a quiet study room. I hope they're not too crowded though. :tongue:

Please do any other information about Hawkridge House that you think might come in useful for an international student. Thanks!
Reply 5153
Hi madnuts!
I also got an offer in Hawkridge, a postgraduate student as well. Did not find to much information, but I asked to a person that lives there, and according to him the life is good, is not extremely social, because almost all residents are postgraduates and are busy with their own dissertation, but it is ok. The building is in a nice area, apparently, kentish town is full of pubs, stores, etc, and very close to Camden. The price is quite good, and is well connected with public transport, 20 minutes to UCL in bus. Haven't completely decided yet, but I think I will take it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Right. Thanks jvds! I hope we have a good time there 😀
Just got an offer for single not en-suite in Max Rayne. Is it really that bad, with all the cockroaches and mice? Please give me an honest opinion, I really want to know what I'm getting myself into...
My friend and I were discussing why UCL students act so stuck-up lmao. We go to Birkbeck just across the road, and we have a lot of our lectures in UCL main building classrooms, but quite often you see people with their noses up in the air.
Help! I am in an impasse currently because I just narrowly missed my offer for Mechanical Engineering by 2 PUM. The requirement is A*AA but I only achieve AAA. I rang UCL yesterday and the lady said my place isn't guaranteed, advising me to remark my papers. Do you guys know if UCL will be slightly lenient for engineering courses compared to courses like econs and humanities? Or will they switch me from the MEng course to BEng since I meet the requirement of the latter. I am an international student. I would really appreciate if some seniors can shed some light on my case. Thanks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lechris107
Help! I am in an impasse currently because I just narrowly missed my offer for Mechanical Engineering by 2 PUM. The requirement is A*AA but I only achieve AAA. I rang UCL yesterday and the lady said my place isn't guaranteed, advising me to remark my papers. Do you guys know if UCL will be slightly lenient for engineering courses compared to courses like econs and humanities? Or will they switch me from the MEng course to BEng since I meet the requirement of the latter. I am an international student. I would really appreciate if some seniors can shed some light on my case. Thanks.

Totally feel you, I missed my Civil Engineering offer by 4 PUM. Got an AAA as well where I needed A*AA. From what I've heard UCL is way more lenient with science courses and especially so with international students (a friend knows someone who got into EEE despite missing his IB conditions by two points). Still, we have no way of knowing till the 18th. I'm going to call them up around 10am UTC if my Track hasn't updated
hi do we find out what flats/room numbers we are in before the day we move in (to plan with flatmates events etc) thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending