The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Seeing as many people have got offers already and it seems they're sending their accommodation forms off, it may be a while until they give me an offer (hypothetically I mean, there is a very good chance I won't get one) because I've applied for medicine and therefore my interview will be coming in February sometime, so the decision may be in March. How does the accommodation sort of thing work? Is it like first come first served? I'm worried about this now, I'd like to get good accommodation. Bare with me if this is a stupid question, I know NOTHING about accommodation type things :p:.

Also, what is it like for the medics there in terms of societies etc etc?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Off the top of my head the deadline for accommodation forms I the end of May.
You get an acknowledgement slip back from them (if you send the stamped return thing with it).
And then after A-Level results they start to sort through the placement of everyone.

So aslong as you apply by the May? deadline, and firm UCL you will be guaranteed!
Reply 42
OhNO!
harro. I haven't had any response from UCL yet, no acknowledgment or nothin'. I didn't get one last year either, but this time around I didn't apply via UCAS I just emailed them, as they said to do on their website. I don't know how a term at UCL would equip you to better answer this question, but, should I ring them? I don't want to annoy the admissions people.

I didn't hear anything from UCL until mid January last year...there is still time to be fair and they usually start sending interview details around the end of jan/early feb for some depts....

Still it is strange to not have an acknowledgement. When did you send your UCAS off?
Admissions people here are generally really nice, if you're concerned give them a call. That's what they are there for! :smile:
Hopefully I should get the post card thing back soon from them, no one seems to know if they place unconditional/deferred earlier, it would be nice to get first pick! :smile:
Rob_K
This question has probably been asked before but nevermind:biggrin: I got invited to an interview at SSEES and i'm wondering what i should wear. I was thinking about some smart trousers, black shoes and a shirt (tie?). I don't want to go over the top but at the same time i don't want to be the only kid who's dressed inappropriately. Any advice would be awesome :smile:

I went for interview last year at the Modern Languages department and wore smart black trousers and a nice v-neck jumper. I got an offer :smile:
Reply 45
easy_lemon
I didn't hear anything from UCL until mid January last year...there is still time to be fair and they usually start sending interview details around the end of jan/early feb for some depts....

Still it is strange to not have an acknowledgement. When did you send your UCAS off?
Admissions people here are generally really nice, if you're concerned give them a call. That's what they are there for! :smile:

it's just because it was an e-mail rather than a UCAS form, I thought it might be more easily lost or something so I was a bit paranoid. I think I will give them a ring, on the 'morrow. taaaa! x
I never knew you could apply outside of UCAS. You learn something new every day!
Reply 47
OhNO!
it's just because it was an e-mail rather than a UCAS form, I thought it might be more easily lost or something so I was a bit paranoid. I think I will give them a ring, on the 'morrow. taaaa! x

Yeah it's better to phone them up, emails tend to get lost...
This is such a good thread! :thumbsup:
Reply 49
You can apply outside UCAS?

Both of my friends have enquired about this and both have been given a straight-up 'no'. Which is fair enough.
Reply 50
Joanna May
I never knew you could apply outside of UCAS. You learn something new every day!

hm, it's a bit different because I'm already in uni and that loike. If they give me an offer (pleasepleaseplease), I still have to submit them into UCAS so I can formally accept it or something. I will definitely ring them tomorrow, I sent it on the 22nd December so that's before the deadline they have to have received it by, right? even if it has ended up in the UCL spambox? Actually, I don't know how anyone here would be able to answer that. I'll find out tomorrow, sigh.

jnm2324

You can apply outside UCAS?

Both of my friends have enquired about this and both have been given a straight-up 'no'. Which is fair enough.

that's what their website said, by "their website" I mean specifically the English department website.
OhNO!
hm, it's a bit different because I'm already in uni and that loike. If they give me an offer (pleasepleaseplease), I still have to submit them into UCAS so I can formally accept it or something. I will definitely ring them tomorrow, I sent it on the 22nd December so that's before the deadline they have to have received it by, right? even if it has ended up in the UCL spambox? Actually, I don't know how anyone here would be able to answer that. I'll find out tomorrow, sigh.

Ah, I get it. Fingers crossed for you!

I'm starting to think I should have gone for a post-it on the accommodation form, rather than a note on the bottom. And I'm having all the usual paranoia because when I wrote the note I originally left a space saying "Can I please be put in _______" so I could check the spelling of the hall. I'm SURE I filled in the blank, but you know what paranoia's like!
johnbrown
At least if you didn't fill it in you shouldn't be penalised for it! It's just as though you hadn't written anything at all. Unless they think you're trying to trick them and get really angry...

I know, but I fell in love with that particular hall! Although the criteria I put would possibly make them put me there anyway. And that'd be a pretty rubbish trick, even by my low standards!
Reply 53
Are SSEES students ostracized in any way? :o:
I mean like is it viewed as 'other' from the rest of UCL? I'm such a paranoid child :colondollar:

Also, I have been invited for the Open Day/Interview day next Weds., does that mean they're thinking of giving me an offer or do SSEES interview everyone?

Thank you :h:
Reply 54
hiya
i got invited to an open day for geography
lol i read it above aswell but it was worded differently
it just sed come and weeel tell you about the course
and we go into a seminar to see whats it like and stuff
it sed its not an assesment
is my place guarenteed
some of my friends went to one in december and got an offer
wb
Reply 55
Joanna May
Ah, I get it. Fingers crossed for you!

Um yeah I've been invited to an open day/interview at the Audiology department. It says I have to take a short test :O Damn, I didn't know about that before applying.
easy_lemon
Nice thread idea btw! How did you find the midsessionals? :smile:

i managed to end up in the room with no tables for contract, i've now nicknamed wlo, "wlol" and public.. i actually did one and a half questions then napped. not a good exam run i'm afraid.. you?

imomo16
Are SSEES students ostracized in any way? :o:
I mean like is it viewed as 'other' from the rest of UCL? I'm such a paranoid child :colondollar:

Also, I have been invited for the Open Day/Interview day next Weds., does that mean they're thinking of giving me an offer or do SSEES interview everyone?

Thank you :h:

ssees seem to have their own cool events (saw something about a vodka tasting one once!) but obviously other people can still go. you still live in halls with everyone else, i know one or two ssees students but there doesn't seem to be any difference. not like i've noticed that lawyers and medics are quite cliquey. can any ssees-ers shed any light?

SofinaaBabess
This is such a good thread! :thumbsup:

:love:
Reply 58
brokenheroes
i actually did one and a half questions then napped. not a good exam run i'm afraid.. you?

It's funny how you complain when there's prospective students chatting in the current UCL students thread when you've just done exactly the same thing.
BlueTrain
It's funny how you complain when there's prospective students chatting in the current UCL students thread when you've just done exactly the same thing.

it's hilarious, i'm lolling so hard as i type this.

Quick Reply

Latest