University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by slylion1
no better to be specific

not a ucl student btw lmao

do you mean it's no better to be specific or that no, it's better to be specific?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Mike93L

Original post by Mike93L
If I applied to natsci with a personal statement almost solely on physics (applying to imperial for physics) does it disadvantage me much?
Also are grades/references more important than the interview and PS?

I'm pretty sure on the more competitive courses UCL doesn't focus solely on grades otherwise it would be impossible to differentiate so I think it would probably be better to be specific towards natural sciences, they have so many applicants they will want people dedicated to THAT course, not what is quite clearly another one at a different university :p:
Original post by Mike93L
If I applied to natsci with a personal statement almost solely on physics (applying to imperial for physics) does it disadvantage me much?

Because of the way NatSci works, I'd doubt having a physics PS would be that much of a problem, but I don't know what the admissions tutors look for.

But it obviously begs the question, why not apply for physics at UCL? You'll need to be able to stand up to that scrutiny and be able to show some interest in the wider sciences generally as well in your personal statement.

Your personal statement is more likely to be the most important thing in applying for any university, it's the only thing that will set you apart from anyone else.
Original post by dirtyoldriver
I'm pretty sure on the more competitive courses UCL doesn't focus solely on grades otherwise it would be impossible to differentiate so I think it would probably be better to be specific towards natural sciences, they have so many applicants they will want people dedicated to THAT course, not what is quite clearly another one at a different university :p:

OK thanks. Do you think it would mean that they'd be unlikely to interview me? On the other hand how do you think Imperial would view a PS that mentioned chemistry as well for their physics course (since they don't do natsci)?

My main interest lies in physics but I also like the idea of the flexibility offered by natural sciences since I enjoy chemistry as well - though I don't find it as fascinating.
Original post by Mike93L

Original post by Mike93L
OK thanks. Do you think it would mean that they'd be unlikely to interview me? On the other hand how do you think Imperial would view a PS that mentioned chemistry as well for their physics course (since they don't do natsci)?

My main interest lies in physics but I also like the idea of the flexibility offered by natural sciences since I enjoy chemistry as well - though I don't find it as fascinating.

That I don't know. I would advise speaking to Imperial/UCL admissions, unis are usually happy to answer questions about applications and they will be able to give you a better idea of how you can go about it and what they'd be happy with. You won't be the only person trying to do the same thing :smile: I think it's always an awkward one and I've had friends get in to completely irrelevant courses from their PS but then in this case the calibre of the unis and courses and the competitiveness means you want to get it right. I don't see why if you showed sufficient passion for physics on top of other things Imperial shouldn't consider you - they'd probably twig what you were trying to do anyway, but it's worth checking.
Original post by Mike93L

We share quite a few lectures with Natural Science students, I think if you word it correctly it shouldn't be a problem.
General question that's probably been asked but how do people find the balance between working part time, studying and having a social life?
Reply 1907
Original post by Busby_Babe
General question that's probably been asked but how do people find the balance between working part time, studying and having a social life?

This obviously depends on what you're like as person, how many contact hours etc. No-one here give you an answer except yourself.

I knew a few people with part time jobs. Some did better than others, needless to say.

Depends on how organised you are and how much work outside of lectures/tutorials you have.

Take into consideration that a lot of things you'll do (socially) probably won't be planned, especially if your living in halls as in most cases you won't be that far from each other.
Reply 1909
Quick question about accommodation: What's the procedure for changing rooms?

I got offered Langton Close which is too expensive/too far out for me. I'm hoping that i can change at some point, sooner the better really.

Apart from that, what is langton close like?
I don't know if anybody will be able to answer this, but I was wondering on what days the music societies meet? Ideally (if I get in) I'd like to join the orchestra as well as choir (the auditioned ones that is). The only thing is the one other thing I want to do is climbing, and I think I've seen that the mountaineering society meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays possibly on the facebook group, whilst the UCLU website said every Wednesday. So if anybody knows when either of these groups tend to get together that would be really helpful! I guess they might change year on year I was just wondering if I'm going to face a clash, I really really want to do both so I'm a bit worried I may have to sacrifice one for the other.
Reply 1911
Has anyone managed to swap accommodation succesfully before school starts? If so, how to go about doing it?
I have managed to find someone who would like to swap, but the lady who answered the phone said that i'd have to wait till Oct.
Reply 1912
Hi all, are there any a cappella singing groups at UCL? Haven't been able to find anything about it online. Thanks!
Hi, to cut a long story short Im in year 10 going up to year 11 in two weeks. I really want to go to Cambridge or UCL to do Geography. Would these GCSEs be good enough?
A*A*A*A*A A B B B
Also, are these A levels choices good:
Economics (helps with human geo) Biology (Helps with physical geo) Maths (Science based) and obviously Geography.
You will just know, the main thing is to make sure you get your work done and then you can get a better idea of your weekly workload. 1st year isn't usually too bad even for medicine the first term is fairly light. I would leave the part time job for a couple of working weeks, to get an idea of your timetable and any activities you want to do.

Original post by Dilzone
Quick question about accommodation: What's the procedure for changing rooms?

I got offered Langton Close which is too expensive/too far out for me. I'm hoping that i can change at some point, sooner the better really.

Apart from that, what is langton close like?
There are various ways to do this, you can offer on facebook groups and even on here. If you want to stay in the same hall in a different room or know which hall you want you can try pinning a notice somewhere like the entrance or lifts and see if anyone contacts you.

Original post by kellie92
Has anyone managed to swap accommodation succesfully before school starts? If so, how to go about doing it?
I have managed to find someone who would like to swap, but the lady who answered the phone said that i'd have to wait till Oct.
I would imagine the office will not be able to swap details for payment over until Oct but there is no need to pay that quickly payment date is quite late to allow for SF problems, so there is nothing to stop you swapping with this person, and then sorting out the payment when the time comes.

Original post by dirtyoldriver
I don't know if anybody will be able to answer this, but I was wondering on what days the music societies meet? Ideally (if I get in) I'd like to join the orchestra as well as choir (the auditioned ones that is). The only thing is the one other thing I want to do is climbing, and I think I've seen that the mountaineering society meets on Tuesdays and Thursdays possibly on the facebook group, whilst the UCLU website said every Wednesday. So if anybody knows when either of these groups tend to get together that would be really helpful! I guess they might change year on year I was just wondering if I'm going to face a clash, I really really want to do both so I'm a bit worried I may have to sacrifice one for the other.
Try the UCL union website, and if not don't work there will be freshers fair where you can talk to all the societies and see what prices are for joining and attending, this is probably your best bet for infomation

Original post by dkaye
Hi all, are there any a cappella singing groups at UCL? Haven't been able to find anything about it online. Thanks!
Try UCLU, if there is nothing online then you can go in person when you get there, place is on the website.

Original post by Geography Guru
Hi, to cut a long story short Im in year 10 going up to year 11 in two weeks. I really want to go to Cambridge or UCL to do Geography. Would these GCSEs be good enough?
A*A*A*A*A A B B B
Also, are these A levels choices good:
Economics (helps with human geo) Biology (Helps with physical geo) Maths (Science based) and obviously Geography.
Your GCSE's will not limit you for most courses, and your grades are pretty decent although if apply for Cambs then all A would give you a bit more confidence, A-Level grades are vastly more important. Those A-Levels seem like good choices, the UCL website gives details of entry req. only A level mentioned is Geog. Have you posted in a subject thread or looked people's grades in there. You have long way to go yet, just focus on the getting the grades, until you reach end of year 11 just focus on here and now.
Original post by doggyfizzel
You will just know, the main thing is to make sure you get your work done and then you can get a better idea of your weekly workload. 1st year isn't usually too bad even for medicine the first term is fairly light. I would leave the part time job for a couple of working weeks, to get an idea of your timetable and any activities you want to do.

There are various ways to do this, you can offer on facebook groups and even on here. If you want to stay in the same hall in a different room or know which hall you want you can try pinning a notice somewhere like the entrance or lifts and see if anyone contacts you.

I would imagine the office will not be able to swap details for payment over until Oct but there is no need to pay that quickly payment date is quite late to allow for SF problems, so there is nothing to stop you swapping with this person, and then sorting out the payment when the time comes.

Try the UCL union website, and if not don't work there will be freshers fair where you can talk to all the societies and see what prices are for joining and attending, this is probably your best bet for infomation

Try UCLU, if there is nothing online then you can go in person when you get there, place is on the website.

Your GCSE's will not limit you for most courses, and your grades are pretty decent although if apply for Cambs then all A would give you a bit more confidence, A-Level grades are vastly more important. Those A-Levels seem like good choices, the UCL website gives details of entry req. only A level mentioned is Geog. Have you posted in a subject thread or looked people's grades in there. You have long way to go yet, just focus on the getting the grades, until you reach end of year 11 just focus on here and now.

Am I more suited for UCL than Cambridge? What did you mean about the last part: " until you reach end of year 11 just focus on here and now"
Original post by Geography Guru
Am I more suited for UCL than Cambridge? What did you mean about the last part: " until you reach end of year 11 just focus on here and now"
I'm saying its too early to starting talking about chances for uni before you even get your GCSE's, those GCSE's won't rule you out of either, but would be weakness because of the B's (depending on the subjects they are in) on a Cambs and even a UCL application. Remember your A-Levels are far more important. Just focus on getting the best grades you can at GCSE's, then starting think about courses and uni's end of year 11. At your age you main focus should just be smashing your GCSE's and worrying about uni's once that is done.
Reply 1917
Hey :smile: Can anyone tell me anything about Langton Close Accommodation?? People on here and on facebook seem to be frantically trying to switch out of there. Apart from the distance from campus, is it really that bad?
Original post by doggyfizzel
I'm saying its too early to starting talking about chances for uni before you even get your GCSE's, those GCSE's won't rule you out of either, but would be weakness because of the B's (depending on the subjects they are in) on a Cambs and even a UCL application. Remember your A-Levels are far more important. Just focus on getting the best grades you can at GCSE's, then starting think about courses and uni's end of year 11. At your age you main focus should just be smashing your GCSE's and worrying about uni's once that is done.

Thanks, they're in Eng lit, Eng and French
Reply 1919
What are some things you would recommend new students to bring for their dorm/class?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending