The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ask a Current UCL Student: The Official Thread

Post away, we'll be happy to help, only if you keep you pesky kids away from our chat thread :yeah:

Scroll to see replies

I haven't visited UCL yet, but I worry that since it isn't a campus based university, there won't be any sense or feeling of having a 'home', if you see what I mean. The only universities I've looked at so far are all on their own campuses, so you sort of feel secure, but I worry that it won't be the same with UCL. So, for those that are at UCL now, does it feel like you have a base to return to?

Sorry if this question isn't worded very well, but I'm not sure how else to put it.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
do you know anyone who did foundation in ucl, and progresses to undergraduate program after foundation? i just got accepted for foundation in ucl but it is very price-y, i need to be sure that it is worth the money
Reply 3
SylverStrike
I haven't visited UCL yet, but I worry that since it isn't a campus based university, there won't be any sense or feeling of having a 'home', if you see what I mean. The only universities I've looked at so far are all on their own campuses, so you sort of feel secure, but I worry that it won't be the same with UCL. So, for those that are at UCL now, does it feel like you have a base to return to?

Sorry if this question isn't worded very well, but I'm not sure how else to put it.

Hmm, well I live at home so I'm probably not the best person to answer this question, also I think it depends on your subject and halls. For example, somewhere like Ramsey is so lively I'm sure it would be easy to fit in there and call it home. Also, even though it's not a campus as such, everything is still pretty close together, you don't have to treck all over London to get to your lectures. Also, the area is full of students (SOAS, Birbeck, RADA, Westminster nearby). Tottenham Court Road in the afternoon is full of students, you run into people you know all the time, so even though we're sort of superimposed on the area, it's sort of like a mini campus anyway :smile:
Also, as a law student, our building is like a little hub of people, we have our own cafe and common room and computer rooms, so if you've got an hour to kill its easy to go up to bentham house and find someone to chat to for a bit.
SylverStrike

There is a campus, it's just within the city so it doesn't have the plantation like feel of many other places. I quite like it actually, everything is so compact that it feels like a Cathedral. It is kind of small for a 'base' feeling, but it does make things easier. Having one central campus was a factor for me at least in picking UCL as opposed to King's. That halls of course have their own sense of community.
Reply 5
I just received a letter saying i ve been invited to visit the Department of Stats. It says , we will have an informal group interview and a tour around UCL. Does it mean i ve got an offer?
Will_Will
I just received a letter saying i ve been invited to visit the Department of Stats. It says , we will have an informal group interview and a tour around UCL. Does it mean i ve got an offer?

yeah, pretty much, if u go to the group intedrview, ur pretty much guaranteed an offer. as long as u dont do anything like completely outrageous lol
Is it easy to make friends at UCL what with it being a city uni and all... I'm a bit worried about it....
Reply 8
bballer4life
yeah, pretty much, if u go to the group intedrview, ur pretty much guaranteed an offer. as long as u dont do anything like completely outrageous lol

cheers m8:shifty:
Reply 9
adilmorrison
Is it easy to make friends at UCL what with it being a city uni and all... I'm a bit worried about it....

yeah of course :smile: as long as you put yourself out there. i was worried too, and i wish i'd more of an effort to start with, but at the same time i'm hardly a loner. an hour into my first day i was already in the pub with some people on my course :smile: are you in halls? that makes it easier, but being at home isn't *that* bad. i'm only regretting it because my relationship with my parents has really deteriorated recently, something i didn't see coming when i decided not to move out. there's no reason why that should put you off though, it's a personal reason for me.
Reply 10
I am sure that not everyone at UCL has the same opinion as you
Threads like these are silly
Loo
I am sure that not everyone at UCL has the same opinion as you
Threads like these are silly

the whole point of this thread is to get opinions from current ucl students, it doesn't aim to be the mouthpiece of the entire university :rolleyes:
Seeing as you're doing Law at UCL, do you mind telling me what your GCSE grades were like, please?

Sofie.
adilmorrison

Yeah I was worried about this. Also, do you tend to mix with people only from UCL or do you mix with people who aren't at uni/from other uni's at all?

And also, is it fun?!?! Or is it too expensive to be very fun
SofinaaBabess
Seeing as you're doing Law at UCL, do you mind telling me what your GCSE grades were like, please?

Sofie.

1 A*, 3 A, 3 B, 1 merit, 1 dist. :smile:
brokenheroes
1 A*, 3 A, 3 B, 1 merit, 1 dist. :smile:

Ah cool. They're kind of similar to mine. :]
How much work exeperience do you think will look good on my ps?
And do you think extra curricular activities will make me stand out a bit more?

Sofie.
johnbrown
Yeah I was worried about this. Also, do you tend to mix with people only from UCL or do you mix with people who aren't at uni/from other uni's at all?

And also, is it fun?!?! Or is it too expensive to be very fun

intercollegiate halls means you can mix with other unis, if you wish to. i live in london anyway so i have friends not from ucl here to start with.

and yeah it's fun. its not that expensive either, you'll soon learn what the cheap nights are, the union runs a night where drinks are 99p, theres cheapskates at moonlighting on a wednesday, afterskool at lse on a saturday.. and most of the big clubs in london do student nights which are a lot cheaper to get in to.
SofinaaBabess
Ah cool. They're kind of similar to mine. :]
How much work exeperience do you think will look good on my ps?
And do you think extra curricular activities will make me stand out?

i didn't put any work experience on my personal statement, i don't have any. i went to an open day sort of thing at allen and overy, which i put down, which is the closest i had. but if you have it, it probably wouldn't hurt.
extra curriculars, i put debating, and a member of student council, haha. i don't know whether they put an emphasis on ecs because i've never compared to anyone elses ps to see what they've put.

what sort of things are you into? the law faculty itself is quite sporty, has teams (or just training for fun even if you dont want to be in a team) for most popular sports, we do social debating, mooting.. so maybe if you do any of those it might look good? :o:
brokenheroes
i didn't put any work experience on my personal statement, i don't have any. i went to an open day sort of thing at allen and overy, which i put down, which is the closest i had. but if you have it, it probably wouldn't hurt.
extra curriculars, i put debating, and a member of student council, haha. i don't know whether they put an emphasis on ecs because i've never compared to anyone elses ps to see what they've put.

what sort of things are you into? the law faculty itself is quite sporty, has teams (or just training for fun even if you dont want to be in a team) for most popular sports, we do social debating, mooting.. so maybe if you do any of those it might look good? :o:

Well I've joined the Debating Society at my sixth form and I'm also going to be a member of the Student Union next year (you just organise stuff like night outs, clubs etc) so hopefully that will make a difference. =/

Thanks for the help.

Sofie.
Reply 19
Do you have any accommodation advice?
Tips for the form?
It would be very helpful!

Quick Reply