The Student Room Group

are BTEC's equivalent to A Levels?

Heyy
Right well the answer to this question will really influence the decision I make about which college I go to.
If I was to do 4 A Levels and get C's, maybe B's, or if I was to do 4 BTEC's and get 4 merits or distinctions, which would give me a better chance to get into a good university?

Thanks for any help posted. :smile:
equivalent to three a-levels.
i am doing a BTEC and have gotten an offer from a good uni, so i don't think it effects your chances unless oxbridge is your dream.
Reply 2
you have to check if your university accept it, btec is the easier option (dont mean that in a mean way), but honestly it is!
in ucas points they are equivalent but are not veiwed as such by the better unis =]

i did one and dropped out to do a levels
Reply 4
ok thanks :smile:
Reply 5
What do you want to study at BTEC or at A-level and what uni would you like to study at?

In my opinion A-levels would be the best option as they do not limit your options as you can study a wide range of courses. My brother was going to go to college to study media, however stayed on at sixth form after deciding to do A-levels and is extremely pleased he did so as this did not limit his options and he came out with A's and B's.

However, if you are sure on what career path or course you want to study at Uni B-TEC’S are just as acceptable.
Reply 6
I think it depends on the type of BTEC your doing.

National Award = Equivalent to one A Level subject

National Certificate = Equivalent to two A Level subjects

National Diploma = Equivalent to three A Level subjects.

But as was already said
but are not veiwed as such by the better or equal by most unis
Reply 7
Theoretically, yes. In reality if you want to go to a higher ranked uni, no. For example, York, Imperial, UCL, Bristol, and Oxbridge don't take the BTEC National Diploma if you want to do Computer Science, or at least not without A-levels too.
Exopaladin
Theoretically, yes. In reality if you want to go to a higher ranked uni, no. For example, York, Imperial, UCL, Bristol, and Oxbridge don't take the BTEC National Diploma if you want to do Computer Science, or at least not without A-levels too.

I know three people on BTEC animal management who got accepted into york and bristol, but that was for zoology.

All i'm saying is that some unis do agree that BTECs are equal.
Reply 9
thanks for your help everyone :smile:

maybe id be best ringing round some universities that maybe i could go to and ask them if I would be accepted with BTEC's for journalism or any other media degree?
Reply 10
Exopaladin

My cousin is cuurently in Bristol uni and they do accept BTEC because that is what he went in with a DDD in media production.

Also it depends what you want to becuase my chosen uni and course won't allow me to enter with a levles only with a btec
Reply 11
okays thanks

Latest