The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Geogger
Sounds like it... haven't you had the UMS score yet then?

Nope. I think we got the raw mark today, since we had them downloaded online. The UMS score will be next thursday.
Reply 421
trev
Nope. I think we got the raw mark today, since we had them downloaded online. The UMS score will be next thursday.

We had the UMS marks today, downloaded from Edexcel.
pretty
:confused: HI WELL RESULTS ARE JUST ROUND THE CORNER GETTING REALLY NERVOUS SO I THOUGHT THIS POST WOULD HELP CALM ME DOWN LOL WEL HOPE YOU CAN SHARE YOUR FEELINS THINK I WILL LIKE DIE IF DON'T GET AAB ARGGGHHH :eek:

I'm feeling pretty pretty confused and frustrating becuz the representatives of edexcel in our country does'nt know when the results will be published :confused: :redface: :redface: :confused: :confused:
Reply 423
Can your actual grade be lower than that the UMS predicts?
For example lets say u got a UMS score of 65/90 (which is a B) could you actually get something below a B with the actual grade boundaries. I'm so confused.
Reply 424
Heidi
Can your actual grade be lower than that the UMS predicts?
For example lets say u got a UMS score of 65/90 (which is a B) could you actually get something below a B with the actual grade boundaries. I'm so confused.

UMS is the FINAL and standardised mark from the exam board, it will not change. If you got 65/90 it is, effectively, a B on that paper, but you will only know your final A2 grade after adding all the UMS scores for your 6 modules together.
Reply 425
Geogger
We had the UMS marks today, downloaded from Edexcel.

Actually when we got our results yesterday, it was UMS not raw marks. :redface: :frown:
Reply 426
Wouldn't it be easier for the exam boards to put your grade letter next to your number? So frustrated on Thursday when i got just a number, didn't know what it meant and no teacher could give me a grade. :rolleyes: lol,
Reply 427
Emsy
Wouldn't it be easier for the exam boards to put your grade letter next to your number? So frustrated on Thursday when i got just a number, didn't know what it meant and no teacher could give me a grade. :rolleyes: lol,

lol I got a number plus a grade next to in. It was in a weird format though, and it didnt have my glasses. it went U70b and i thought that the U was my grade! i have never been so freaked out in all my life! i nearly had a heart attack! even though a B isnt great, it felt like a HUGE relief!
Reply 428
CharleeB
lol I got a number plus a grade next to in. It was in a weird format though, and it didnt have my glasses. it went U70b and i thought that the U was my grade! i have never been so freaked out in all my life! i nearly had a heart attack! even though a B isnt great, it felt like a HUGE relief!

haha, i can imagine!
Reply 429
CharleeB
lol I got a number plus a grade next to in. It was in a weird format though, and it didnt have my glasses. it went U70b and i thought that the U was my grade!

that's exactly what i thought as well. My heart stopped for a sec and then i asked the school assistance whether the U was my grade. She said no silly girl the U stands for unit. I was so relieved when she said that.
Reply 430
Geogger
UMS is the FINAL and standardised mark from the exam board, it will not change. If you got 65/90 it is, effectively, a B on that paper, but you will only know your final A2 grade after adding all the UMS scores for your 6 modules together.

oh that's gd to hear. thanks. so ur grade won't fluctuate then , right?
Reply 431
Heidi
oh that's gd to hear. thanks. so ur grade won't fluctuate then , right?

Your grade on THAT paper won't fluctuate once you have the UMS marks but its the TOTAL UMS marks added together for all 6 modules that will determine your final grade.
What I do with my students is to add up what they have already (UMS) - in my case it is out of 390 as they have all done the 3 AS modules plus one worth 90 in Jan. That total I then take away from 480 and that tells them how many UMS marks- minimum- they need from the summer's modules to get an A, take their total and take it away from 420 for a B etc.

This is really useful as you might be in a position where you need say 140 from the last 2 modules (120 and 90 respectively). This could be divided into say 80/120 and 60/90... looking at the sort of marks they have scored so far gives them an idea as to whether this is achievable.
Some people (who did well at AS) already have 370/390... so they only need to score 110/210 or about half marks in their summer modules to be almost guaranteed an A.

Most of my students found this a good confidence boost and it certainly gave them a clear idea of what is achievable without any AS resits! If you DO resit an AS module, then of course this improves the likelihood of achieving your grade.
Reply 432
Emsy

Yeah, I agree they should have a letter beside the number to make things clear. The numbers were UMS. Outside the common room, there is a sheet about UMS boundary marks to see what grade we get. We just know the number and don't know what it's out of, so it's kind of useless having that sheet.

However, my VCE unit has a number and a grade next to it. How strange can that be.
Reply 433
trev
However, my VCE unit has a number and a grade next to it. How strange can that be.
Last year (summer), my Critical Thinking was the only one to have a mark and a grade next to it. How I wish they hadn't written the grade on that one! :p:
Reply 434
mockel
Last year (summer), my Critical Thinking was the only one to have a mark and a grade next to it. How I wish they hadn't written the grade on that one! :p:

lol, why? :p:

They seem to put numbers and grades in summer exams. However, they put the grade in the qualification and not individual modules though. Strange.
Reply 435
trev
lol, why? :p:

They seem to put numbers and grades in summer exams. However, they put the grade in the qualification and not individual modules though. Strange.
Don't worry :p: Long winded essays are just not my thing (and I probably messed up the mulitple choice- every bloody option looks correct!).

Yeah, I think that's right. Since my Critical Thinking was just an AS, whereas the others had A2 pending results (since none of them were cashed in).
mockel
Don't worry :p: Long winded essays are just not my thing (and I probably messed up the mulitple choice- every bloody option looks correct!).

Yeah, I think that's right. Since my Critical Thinking was just an AS, whereas the others had A2 pending results (since none of them were cashed in).

I hate critical thinking multiple choice. It's compulsory to do the AS at my school, and I can do alright on the longer essay qs, but I got 5/16 on the multiple choice yesterday! :p:

Latest