The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NSutton23
I have just accepted my unconditional for Economics and was wondering what accommodation would leave my with the shortest distance to travel? Also which colleges are sports orientated? not too bothered about social scene.

Bowland is right in the centre of campus, especially the standard, superior ensuite and ensuite accommodation. It's also the best college (not biased at all :wink:). Also, Furness, Fylde and County are pretty close to the centre. I'd avoid Lonsdale, Cartmel and Pendle if being close to the centre of campus is a priority. Keep in mind, though, that the campus is pretty compact anyway - you can get from Cartmel to the centre in less than 15 minutes, so it doesn't matter too much either way.

Fylde is the 'sporty' college apparently, but I think this mainly stems from the college bar being a sports bar, although since I'm not a sporty person there may be other things that I'm not aware of. Each college has its own sports teams so you could find something to do in any of them, and there are the university teams/societies too!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
When you apply for accomodation if you look at the further info at the bottom it tells you if they have wifi, I know Grizedale do.
I've applied for Grizedale or County townhouse
Reply 2002
Hey I'm applying for an ensuite county and bowland not sure which order tho
i don't think its worth paying more for an superior ensuite even tho they look so good! The townhouses are supposed to amazing and id go for it but its really important for me to have an ensuite!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2003
whats the nightlife like at bowland and county??
Reply 2004
Is County College like 90% female or something because all the pictures show mainly girls.
Original post by 7277
Is County College like 90% female or something because all the pictures show mainly girls.

County College is not known for having a particularly high number of women :tongue: While I don't have any statistics, it's likely a coincidence.
Hi I got into Lancaster as my insurance and have not received an offer for accommodation just yet...I was wondering if it was true (I read an article saying so) that clearing applications take priority? How likely will it be for me to get accommodation on campus? Should I start looking elsewhere?
Original post by Lizziejacobs
Hi I got into Lancaster as my insurance and have not received an offer for accommodation just yet...I was wondering if it was true (I read an article saying so) that clearing applications take priority? How likely will it be for me to get accommodation on campus? Should I start looking elsewhere?

Hey I also had Lancaster as my insurance and have yet to receive any emails from the uni at all, with parents questioning me and i have no idea what the usual is started to make me nervous hah. Mind if I ask which college you applied for? I've put down Grizedale standard room
Original post by Jamesislost
Hey I also had Lancaster as my insurance and have yet to receive any emails from the uni at all, with parents questioning me and i have no idea what the usual is started to make me nervous hah. Mind if I ask which college you applied for? I've put down Grizedale standard room

I also put Grizedale as it looked the best and was closest to LUMS however so did a lot of people so it's probably unlikely we will get it 😕 Well I read this

http://scan.lusu.co.uk/news/freshers-denied-campus-accommodation-as-priority-given-to-clearing-students/

I'm not too sure to be honest on how long it takes but all my friends at other universities have their accommodation sorted? It also seems that some people that got into Lancaster through clearing have had their accommodation confirmed so I'm slightly worried. Hopefully Lancaster just take longer as our courses start later than most universities!
I had this problem a couple of years ago - I had got into Lancaster as my insurance but didn't receive an accommodation offer. Lancaster's policy is to let clearing students have priority over on-campus accommodation so I'm afraid it's very unlikely that you'll receive an offer.

I didn't hear anything from the university about accommodation until the beginning of September, where they said that my application was unsuccessful - however they said that they still had limited places available in halls-style accommodation off-campus (Cable Street and CityBlock), and that there were spare places at the University of Cumbria campus available as well. Not having any other options and only a couple of days before everything was taken I chose CityBlock, and received (and accepted) an offer for a room there about a week before the move in date.

To be honest CityBlock is a dreadful place to stay, especially in your first year (and I've heard bad things about Cable Street and Cumbria as well), but if you've got no other choice it's best to apply for a room there as quick as you can to avoid ending up with nowhere.

Regarding colleges, as far as I know everyone living off-campus in first year (or at least everyone in CityBlock) is automatically assigned to County.
Reply 2010
Hey, does anyone know how much do people use the living area in accommodation?
Original post by stevey396
I had this problem a couple of years ago - I had got into Lancaster as my insurance but didn't receive an accommodation offer. Lancaster's policy is to let clearing students have priority over on-campus accommodation so I'm afraid it's very unlikely that you'll receive an offer.

I didn't hear anything from the university about accommodation until the beginning of September, where they said that my application was unsuccessful - however they said that they still had limited places available in halls-style accommodation off-campus (Cable Street and CityBlock), and that there were spare places at the University of Cumbria campus available as well. Not having any other options and only a couple of days before everything was taken I chose CityBlock, and received (and accepted) an offer for a room there about a week before the move in date.

To be honest CityBlock is a dreadful place to stay, especially in your first year (and I've heard bad things about Cable Street and Cumbria as well), but if you've got no other choice it's best to apply for a room there as quick as you can to avoid ending up with nowhere.

Regarding colleges, as far as I know everyone living off-campus in first year (or at least everyone in CityBlock) is automatically assigned to County.

Oh dear I was hoping I was just being paranoid! How is it fair to prioritise clearing over insurance?!
Why was CityBlock so dreadful? Is there any way to get them to offer me campus accommodation?
Thanks for your help!
@lizziejacobs

Hey I'm staying at Lancaster accommodations waddell hall for my pgce qts all you have to do is give them a call they're really helpful and friendly :smile:
Original post by mimi123_
@lizziejacobs

Hey I'm staying at Lancaster accommodations waddell hall for my pgce qts all you have to do is give them a call they're really helpful and friendly :smile:

Thank you so much I'll definitely check it out!
Thank you so much I'll definitely check it out!

no problem! Pretty nervous but everyone seems friendly..

I'm actually freaking out, how can clearing be given priority over insurance? That's so unfair. I don't know what to do!
Hey guys would you reccomend hiring a house with other students or accept an accommodation? Currently I can accept an offer for £126 per week or I can rent a house with a couple of other student a for £97 per week and its all furnished and bills are included
Original post by mimi123_
no problem! Pretty nervous but everyone seems friendly..

Yeah definitely check out the freshers Facebook page as there's loads of friendly people to talk to :smile:
Original post by Niamh O'Donnell
I'm actually freaking out, how can clearing be given priority over insurance? That's so unfair. I don't know what to do!

I know I couldn't believe especially as we chose them months ago! I just assumed we would have priority but I guess not 😕
Original post by maclesh
Hey guys would you reccomend hiring a house with other students or accept an accommodation? Currently I can accept an offer for £126 per week or I can rent a house with a couple of other student a for £97 per week and its all furnished and bills are included

Is your offer for accommodation on campus? £29 is amazing to save each week!

Quick Reply

Latest