Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ponpon14
oo this has been really helpful, thanks!

Sofas sound great! I really cant decide on which to choose now! County and furness standards look good, but the townhouses in grizedale and county also look good. I know this is another question, but im confused. Are county standard and the townhouses next to each other. Also where are grizedale and furness and county in relation to each other?

xprincessx ive heard maths at degree level is a really big jumpn from a level, is that true?
Also as i have only doen maths a leve and not further maths, will i be disdvantaged?

Hey :biggrin:

Couldn't tell you about Furness, but I can tell you about County! County Standard is some of the only brand new standard accom on campus! Its totally fantastic! Its in flats of 8, 10 or 12 and there is a little bathroom between 2! We have really awesome lounge space as well as the usual kitchen and dining space! The sofas are cool! :smile:

County Standard is close to the Townhouses but its in a different building, County Standard accom is in a building called County Main, where as the townhouses are like ... well little houses ^_^ They're in rows and are rather pretty to look at, if you come up to visit campus they're easy to spot from the ring road around campus! County main is the building that looks like an eggbox! :smile:

Townhouses also have a bathroom between 2 and kitchen/dining/lounge (Sofas!), they also are a bit more spaced out (across 4 floors) as opposed to the flat layout of County Main. However they don't have cleaners. Which isn't the end of the world, but I personally love that someone empties the bin and I don't have to worry about it!

I personally feel really glad I got County tbh, as we have a really nice selection of on campus accom, so rather than only being able to choose only ensuite accom, we can move from New Ensuite, to older ensuite, standard and townhouses! If you're looking for lots of nice new accom with loads of types to choose from County is your best bet!

As for the maths question! :smile: The jump from alevel to degree is ... ok. Lancs has a really good course though so I imagine you'd be ok. Without further maths you just might find yourself meetings things for the first time where others have seen it before. But they usually go over the basics of anything really well! The whole point of first year is getting everyone to the same point! :smile: I'm sure you'll be fine. Some parts might be a bit easier with FM, but without I don't think it'd be too bad!

Lordie, long post! Hope it helps :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 21
hi
i really like the look of county, but want en-suite rather than standard. id like to be in proper halls rather than a townhouse so was just wondering if anyone could tell me what county south is like? how many people are to each floor/kitchen? is the accom nice?
also, whats the social scene like at county? :smile:
Reply 22
_emerald_x
hi
i really like the look of county, but want en-suite rather than standard. id like to be in proper halls rather than a townhouse so was just wondering if anyone could tell me what county south is like? how many people are to each floor/kitchen? is the accom nice?
also, whats the social scene like at county? :smile:

Hi. I lived in County South for 2 years and loved it:biggrin: The flats are made up of 8 people, and there are 2 flats per floor. It will be the 4th year it's been lived in next year, so it still all looks pretty nice and clean (or it did!) The kitchens are a really good size - there are 2 ovens in each, a shelf each in the fridge, 2 cupboards and a kitchen drawer each, and some extra space aswell. The social stuff was really good when I was there, but it always depends upon the exec, so I don't know about it now. The bar is really lovely too:smile:
Reply 23
I'm in County South now (Anglezarke, if any of you live there). It's pretty decent, all quite modern and good quality. Rooms are a decent enough size. I'm gunna move into townhouses next year if I can (applied, it's just a waiting game now!), but if not I wouldn't mind If I was here again.

Just took a couple of pictures of my room if you're want to see what the rooms here are like;

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/9519/dsc00376xa6.jpg
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/7912/dsc00379bc0.jpg

Ignore the newspaper, I left a couple of mates in here on their own for a bit while I went to see a mate, can't be bothered to take it down though. But yeah, no complaints about the room or owt, the only problem is some little bird has taken to planting itself just outside my room from 2-4 in the morning for the past week or so and starts singing, the ****.

Where abouts in North Wales are you from just out of curiosity, _emerald_x? I'm from Wrexham myself, there's a few of us here surprisingly.
Reply 24
If you're after pics of County accom you might want to try last years Freshers Group! Theres tons on there of all the different types we've got (except main, as at the time it was still being built!) I'll try to get some photos of main for you though if you like ^_^

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=22492751284 - Have a peek at the photos section!
Reply 25
Gah, what's the point in signing up as a group if only one person gets a room, and the rest are 59+ in the queue?!
chedabob
Gah, what's the point in signing up as a group if only one person gets a room, and the rest are 59+ in the queue?!

Eeeep! I assumed the group would be processed together, so if one got a room, so did everyone else!
Reply 27
thank you :smile:
Reply 28
Teao the Cat
Eeeep! I assumed the group would be processed together, so if one got a room, so did everyone else!

Nope. I got a place, but the other 4 people in my group are on the waiting list. I was first to sign up, but the rest of my group signed up about 1 minute later.

I'm guessing if/when we all get rooms, we'll be put together.
Reply 29
The accommodation situation is quite bad isn't it. In the prospectus and stuff it says they can usually accommodate everyone who wants to stay on campus yet so many are being turned away. A friend of mine applied for Pendle standard and has been turned down - she is one of 70 on the waiting list apparently.

I do wish Furness would hurry up and announce what is going on for us...
County Townhouses.

Bedroom View 1: http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l19/LaurenFah/SDC10347.jpg
Bedroom View 2: http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l19/LaurenFah/SDC10344.jpg

(View 2 was just for the girls who wanted to see how HUUUGE the wardrobe is!).
Reply 32
LaurenFah
County Townhouses.

Bedroom View 1: http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l19/LaurenFah/SDC10347.jpg
Bedroom View 2: http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l19/LaurenFah/SDC10344.jpg

(View 2 was just for the girls who wanted to see how HUUUGE the wardrobe is!).

Wow. That wardrobe really is impressive lol. Ignoring the fact my wardrobe is following down, it makes it look so tiny. :smile:
Reply 33
Hi,

My house has just been flooded so im staying in an emergency room on campus. I'm moving into George Fox next week for the rest of the year, any idea what the rooms are like?

Got to be better than bowland ash house, it's like a prison.
Pricey89
Hi,

My house has just been flooded so im staying in an emergency room on campus. I'm moving into George Fox next week for the rest of the year, any idea what the rooms are like?

Got to be better than bowland ash house, it's like a prison.

Anything has to be better than Ash (trash) house!!!!!
Reply 35
Teao the Cat
Anything has to be better than Ash (trash) house!!!!!

Like what you've done with the name, paid my deposit for my other room and i get to move in tomorrow, so much nicer than peach coloured walls. :biggrin:
Reply 36
Absinth
Question - which accommodation has the lowest number of people per kitchen? How long does it take to get from Cartmel to Bowland College?

It varies in Furness but I have just 4 people using the kitchen I share.

I walked back from Cartmel bar to Furness via Spar and it took just over 10 minutes so I don't think Bowland would take more than a minute or two extra. :smile:
Reply 37
Hoping to hear back this week about whether or not I'm on campus. Really don't want to live off campus, but good chance I may have no choice. I emailed about Chancellor's Wharf asking if there might be room there for 4 of us if we don't get on campus. Currently no rooms are free, but told to get back in touch soon in case people change their mind/don't go to their appointments. My mate's getting us viewings for houses in town too. Hopefully it's all for nothing though and I'll get an email by Thursday saying I've got a place in the townhouse.
Reply 38
I'm hoping to hear back this week too. I think the guy said everyone has a room but it would be good to find out where it is and with who. Should it all go wrong, I'd prefer to know sooner rather than later so I have time to get something else sorted. :smile:
I didn't get on campus, which was a bit of a disappointment.

But on the other hand I'm now in Chancellor's Wharf which is £20 a week cheaper and the flat I'm in looks really nice. So it's not the end of the world.

Quick Reply