Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
jonny23563
I didn't get on campus, which was a bit of a disappointment.

But on the other hand I'm now in Chancellor's Wharf which is £20 a week cheaper and the flat I'm in looks really nice. So it's not the end of the world.

I'm glad you got something sorted. :smile:

[I wish people would stop going on about Chancellor's Wharf is cheaper though. For us in standard, we can't get any cheaper. Sadly. Cheaper would be good lol.]
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 41
affinity89
I'm glad you got something sorted. :smile:

[I wish people would stop going on about Chancellor's Wharf is cheaper though. For us in standard, we can't get any cheaper. Sadly. Cheaper would be good lol.]

Well, it is cheaper for most people:p: Last year the cost of my rent exceeded my loan:eek:
Reply 42
*banana
Well, it is cheaper for most people:p: Last year the cost of my rent exceeded my loan:eek:

Ensuite would exceed my loan and grant too - that is why I opted for standard. :smile:
Reply 43
affinity89
Ensuite would exceed my loan and grant too - that is why I opted for standard. :smile:

Hehe. The 1st year I was ok, and then when I opted to stay where I was for the 2nd year they hadn't confirmed the prices yet, and they went up... it would have been ok, but my loan went down to the basic one so it was a bit of a pain! But it worked ok - I just had to save lots of money over the summer.
Reply 44
My loan didn't cover my accomodation costs, but i had a bursary too + that sorted it...

left me with about £20 a week for everything else though :|
Yay for chancellors next year!
Reply 45
xprincessx
My loan didn't cover my accomodation costs, but i had a bursary too + that sorted it...

left me with about £20 a week for everything else though :|
Yay for chancellors next year!

That was my budget last term too. It isn't that bad my budget is dropping to £10 because I have to pay my deposit for campus next year. My Mum was going to try and help me out with it but as my Dad was made redundant, it can't be helped. £10 is going to be an experience lol. :smile:
Reply 46
Got an email today, me and 1 of my mates didn't get on campus accommodation, the rest of my mates did. Bit gutted, but oh well. Gunna pop my name down on a list for on campus accommodation, then just look for 2 rooms going spare in a house, I guess.
Reply 47
affinity89
That is my budget too. It isn't that bad I - my budget is dropping to £10 when I pay my deposit for campus next year. My Mum was going to try and help me out with it but as my Dad was made redundant, it can't be helped. £10 is going to be an experience lol. :smile:

Godd I'd never manage that! :|
I had a couple of thousand pounds in savings before I came so I've used quite a bit of that now...and I'm guessing I'll probably be going into my overdraft before the year's out!
Reply 48
xprincessx
Godd I'd never manage that! :|
I had a couple of thousand pounds in savings before I came so I've used quite a bit of that now...and I'm guessing I'll probably be going into my overdraft before the year's out!

What the hell do you spend the money on? I probs only spend about £10 on food but then I'm spending probs about £90 on booze and other things a week yet I get by no worries. How do you manage to get rid of the loan and a few grand so easily?
Reply 49
Went down earlier to put my name on the list for on campus accommodation only to be told I was on the list already and pretty much right near the bottom. God knows how that happens, I got up hungover as hell to get on that list thinking it was first come first serve, chuck us near the top of the list for the dedication!
Reply 50
Dooze
Went down earlier to put my name on the list for on campus accommodation only to be told I was on the list already and pretty much right near the bottom. God knows how that happens, I got up hungover as hell to get on that list thinking it was first come first serve, chuck us near the top of the list for the dedication!

Which college are you in?

One of my friends had the same happen to her (she is in Cartmel). When she checked about the list they said she was number 42 so she decided that she didn't really have a chance and has started looking elsewhere.

Perhaps it is based on you applied first back when the system went up like the way they allocate rooms.
Reply 51
I'm in County. Possible with that way of applying, but when I had to apply I basically did it as soon as the thing opened, so not sure. Just gunna try and get on Chancellor's Wharf then if not that, hopefully find a house.
Reply 52
What stupid system lets you apply for 08/09 housing?! Myself and the two girls I want to live with went to our residence officer, picked our house, picked our room.. few hours later one of the girls finds out she is on the waiting list and her room has been given away. So either I live with the one friend on campus with some strangers (not happening) or find somewhere to live! The whole thing is a mess.

Best of all our residence officer (the wonderful Edwina from cartmel) told us not to tell anyone! ha.
Reply 53
Dooze
What the hell do you spend the money on? I probs only spend about £10 on food but then I'm spending probs about £90 on booze and other things a week yet I get by no worries. How do you manage to get rid of the loan and a few grand so easily?

I probably spend about the same, maybe a bit more on food, but £100 for 30 weeks is £3000...and since I only have £4625 of loan and bursaries, and seeing as £3666 of that is for my accomodation, I have a grand total of £959 (the amount i'm paying + amount i'm getting means i have more per week in the last term...)...so that's how i'd get rid of it so easily...
again, yay for chancellors!
Reply 54
Wow at what you all spend. :O

I spend about £40 a week which includes food, going out and often something course related. My accommodation is £70 a week (£2777.70 for the entire let). Standard ftw! :smile:
Reply 55
Haha I should probably cut down on the going out bit....
I usually go out like 3 times a week + spend about £30 each time. Not gooood lol
I spend about £30 a week unless I do a big shop, in which case it jumps up considerably.

But since I don't enjoy clubbing, I guess I get away with not spending much.
Reply 57
Hey.
Has anyone heard back about continuer accommodation for Furness yet? Seems to be taking forever.
Reply 58
I think I've got a room at Chancellor's Wharf. Got an appointment at 6 tomorrow to go view me room.
Reply 59
affinity89
Hey.
Has anyone heard back about continuer accommodation for Furness yet? Seems to be taking forever.

I was told Furness had allocated all of their rooms and had a pretty short waiting list.

Quick Reply

Latest