The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

loopy6111
Hiya, could anyone tell me what the bowland standard rooms are like? like how many people share a flat and kitchen etc. Thanks :smile:

Bowland Main has about ten to a kitchen, Annexe has about 16/17, ash house I think about the same as Annexe.
Personally, I prefer Annexe to Main, it's quieter, and the furniture in the rooms is nicer. The downside is the bathrooms: they are kind of dark. Main had some nice bathrooms, some not so great, but the kitchens were pretty nice, with enough cupboard space for everyone: I had a big cupboard and two little ones, whereas in Annexe I only have two instead of the three.
Freshers tend not to get put in Annexe, I don't know if they try to keep it quieter for continuers, or if it's just habit. Ash house, i've never actually been in, but my boyfriend lived there in his second year- Apparently it's quite like Annexe, but the rooms are a good bit smaller, kitchens and bathrooms much the same. They have unplastered walls in there, which I don't particularly like. I have known people go back for more than one year in there though, so it can't be that bad!
Sorry, that's probably a very long and confused post... if you need anything clearing up, let me know!

Edit: the photos on the first page seem to have a dead link, so, this is a room in Annexe, wiht of course, my very own odd sense of design....http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee277/teao_the_cat/DSC00417.jpg
and the sink:
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee277/teao_the_cat/DSC00418.jpg
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Teao the Cat
Bowland Main has about ten to a kitchen, Annexe has about 16/17, ash house I think about the same as Annexe.
Personally, I prefer Annexe to Main, it's quieter, and the furniture in the rooms is nicer. The downside is the bathrooms: they are kind of dark. Main had some nice bathrooms, some not so great, but the kitchens were pretty nice, with enough cupboard space for everyone: I had a big cupboard and two little ones, whereas in Annexe I only have two instead of the three.
Freshers tend not to get put in Annexe, I don't know if they try to keep it quieter for continuers, or if it's just habit. Ash house, i've never actually been in, but my boyfriend lived there in his second year- Apparently it's quite like Annexe, but the rooms are a good bit smaller, kitchens and bathrooms much the same. They have unplastered walls in there, which I don't particularly like. I have known people go back for more than one year in there though, so it can't be that bad!
Sorry, that's probably a very long and confused post... if you need anything clearing up, let me know!
Thanks :smile: do you know how many to a bathroom in main? Not liking the idea of unplastered walls :P Are the kithens not crowded in the Annexe with 16/17 people?
loopy6111
Thanks :smile: do you know how many to a bathroom in main? Not liking the idea of unplastered walls :P Are the kithens not crowded in the Annexe with 16/17 people?

There are about 10, or at least in my bathroom. I never had to wait for a shower, or the toilet. And, weirdly, no the kitchens don't get too bad... I'm amazed at how many people can't cook! The y live off noodles and microwave meals- I reckon it must get expensive! There are two ovens/grills, and eight hob rings... two microwaves.... so yeah, it's fine. I've held dinner parties for eight people in there, no problem!
Teao the Cat
There are about 10, or at least in my bathroom. I never had to wait for a shower, or the toilet. And, weirdly, no the kitchens don't get too bad... I'm amazed at how many people can't cook! The y live off noodles and microwave meals- I reckon it must get expensive! There are two ovens/grills, and eight hob rings... two microwaves.... so yeah, it's fine. I've held dinner parties for eight people in there, no problem!

k, whether i'd have to queue for the shower or toilet was one of the things i was concerned about with standard. 10 still seems like a lot of people, is it just 1 toilet and shower? I can't cook either so i'll probably be living of noodles and such, not good. Am leaning towards Bowland standard for my accommodation, just need to wait for the accommodation packs to be sent out :P
Reply 104
Teao the Cat

I am quite surprised by that to be honest. Perhaps the four of us in my flat are more in sync or something but we tend to have to wait at least every day or two. It isn't a problem most of the time, it is just like being at home, but we do have to wait. :smile:
affinity89
I am quite surprised by that to be honest. Perhaps the four of us in my flat are more in sync or something but we tend to have to wait at least every day or two. It isn't a problem most of the time, it is just like being at home, but we do have to wait. :smile:

There was only once in the whole of the year I ever saw someone having to wait, I was in the shower at the time, and for some reason three of us all decided we wanted a shower at the same time... I guess we were lucky. I've had to wait for the cleaner to finish mopping in the bathroom a few times in the past few weeks, but I think that may be because I'm being lazy following my exams, and I haven't been up until late.
Reply 106
When can we choose our accommodation? Last I heard we're waiting for a password or something but I've changed my email account since so worry I might have missed something???

BJP
When can we choose our accommodation? Last I heard we're waiting for a password or something but I've changed my email account since so worry I might have missed something???

Sometime this month you will get accommodatipon email or letter (not sure which) if its an email it will be to the email account you used for UCAS. BTW itl prob be late June.
Reply 108
End of August I think.

What's the day that they kick us out of accomodation? I think I'm on a 42 week let (I'm in Posh Pendle), but I can't remember what date it started on :tongue:
chedabob
End of August I think.

What's the day that they kick us out of accomodation? I think I'm on a 42 week let (I'm in Posh Pendle), but I can't remember what date it started on :tongue:

I thought we chose in June and it got offered to us after we get the results?
chedabob
End of August I think.

It's the 6th of july for 40 week lets...
Reply 111
ponpon14
I thought we chose in June and it got offered to us after we get the results?

I can't remember exactly :tongue: It was almost a year ago when I applied.

Thanks Teao. I might be on a 40 week let, because I'm sure I've heard a couple of people say it's the 6th of July.
Reply 112
ponpon14
Sometime this month you will get accommodatipon email or letter (not sure which) if its an email it will be to the email account you used for UCAS. BTW itl prob be late June.

Thanksssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss :smile: I changed my email addy with UCAS so that should be OK.

:smile: x
There is some info on here - http://www.lancs.ac.uk/accommodation/news.

x
Which ones are central? All of them? Is there a map?
Thanks.
Reply 115
A Stranger in Moscow
Which ones are central? All of them? Is there a map?
Thanks.

Basic Campus Map

Interactive Map

Basically [considering campus from north to south] you have:

County College, Bowland Collage, [Alex Sq - campus centre], Furness College, Fylde College, Grizedale College, Pendle College, [now off spine and into south-west campus] Lonsdale College, Cartmel College and Graduate College.

Pendle, Grizedale and Fylde are very convenient for things like George Fox and the Info Lab. Bowland and County are very convenient for things the Faraday and Cavendish lecture theatres. Furness is only 5 minutes from the tip of County and the tip of Pendle making nothing very far away. The colleges in south west campus are that little bit further away from everything, especially as there are no teaching facilities down there so you will have about a 5 minute walk to get to the nearest lecture theatres etc. But, campus isn't that big and you can top to toe it in 10/15 minutes so I wouldn't worry about it too much. :smile:
affinity89
Basic Campus Map

Interactive Map

Basically [considering campus from north to south] you have:

County College, Bowland Collage, [Alex Sq - campus centre], Furness College, Fylde College, Grizedale College, Pendle College, [now off spine and into south-west campus] Lonsdale College, Cartmel College and Graduate College.

Pendle, Grizedale and Fylde are very convenient for things like George Fox and the Info Lab. Bowland and County are very convenient for things the Faraday and Cavendish lecture theatres. Furness is only 5 minutes from the tip of County and the tip of Pendle making nothing very far away. The colleges in south west campus are that little bit further away from everything, especially as there are no teaching facilities down there so you will have about a 5 minute walk to get to the nearest lecture theatres etc. But, campus isn't that big and you can top to toe it in 10/15 minutes so I wouldn't worry about it too much. :smile:

Thanks that's proper helpful, I thought it must be (I haven't visited yet) but I was worried when I saw something on the 1st/2nd page about something being "out of the way", I don't really want to be far out at a Uni like Lancaster!
Reply 117
I was looking at the online brochure and noticed that County have superior standard rooms instead of standard, and it is the only college that offers this...but what exactly are the superior rooms like?

Plus anyone doing geography? or going to do geography?
XNicola
I was looking at the online brochure and noticed that County have superior standard rooms instead of standard, and it is the only college that offers this...but what exactly are the superior rooms like?

I think the superior rooms are basically newer so are nicer. Not sure though :P I'm going to do Geography :smile:
Reply 119
XNicola

They are slightly bigger than normal en suite. That's all though:smile: And the kitchens are a fair bit bigger I think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending