Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1460
Original post by Naathan_b
What's included in the college bedding pack? £35 sounds quite steep!

Duvet and cover, pillow and cover, sheet. Pretty basic. You can get cheaper and better. Only worth getting one if you can't bring much luggage - like if you are coming on public transport - or if you hate shopping and don't care about things like comfort and colour.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 1461
If you have an ensuite do you have to clean it yourself? Cos I can see it going pretty bad if I have to clean it myself.
Original post by Lizj
Duvet and cover, pillow and cover, sheet. Pretty basic. You can get cheaper and better. Only worth getting one if you can't bring much luggage - like if you are coming on public transport - or if you hate shopping and don't care about things like comfort and colour.

Ah cool thanks :smile: think I'll probably leave it then.
Reply 1463
I've confirmed my accommodation in Cartmel now.

Glad that I got into Cartmel, especially as the moving day is on the Sunday, means I don't miss the Hull City game on that day (although maybe that would have been a good thing :rolleyes:).

Just wondering about a few things. I've heard about College memberships and something called a "Purple card". How/when do I acquire these things and are they essential?
Original post by Gawge
I've confirmed my accommodation in Cartmel now.

Glad that I got into Cartmel, especially as the moving day is on the Sunday, means I don't miss the Hull City game on that day (although maybe that would have been a good thing :rolleyes:).

Just wondering about a few things. I've heard about College memberships and something called a "Purple card". How/when do I acquire these things and are they essential?

You have to pay college membership, which goes towards the JCR etc. It is only around £30. I recall paying it before I arrived. You will probably receive an information pack about freshers etc and it will likely be detailed in there. :smile:

The Purple Card is the Lancaster University student card. It is essential if you wish to join any of the university societies. It also includes some great offers around campus and Lancaster [I saved more than the cost through discounts at The Borough restaurant alone lol]. It also carries the NUS logo and is thus a form of student ID for other student discounts [eg, national discounts like 10% at Peacocks, 20% offers at New Look]. It costs roughly £10 a year, but you can buy a 3-year card which works out slightly cheaper and saves you from having to reorder it each year. :smile:

Just to note - the Purple Card is not the same as the NUS Extra card. Although most national shops will recognise it for discounts, it doesn't qualify you for things like the NUS Extra Amazon discount. :smile:
Reply 1465
Just a quick question, why has literally no one else applied and been given Bowland? I've been allocated their upgraded room which i was pretty happy with but is this not even that good?
Also, are the beds proper single ones or can you use like a double duvet on them comfortably?
Reply 1466
Original post by T.Reid
Just a quick question, why has literally no one else applied and been given Bowland? I've been allocated their upgraded room which i was pretty happy with but is this not even that good?
Also, are the beds proper single ones or can you use like a double duvet on them comfortably?

I'm annoyed lol. I applied Pendle and County en-suite and no reply. Worried in case I don't get into either. Really don't want to share a toilet. HYGIENE FREAK :P
Original post by Pyrao
I'm annoyed lol. I applied Pendle and County en-suite and no reply. Worried in case I don't get into either. Really don't want to share a toilet. HYGIENE FREAK :P

Dnt worry abou that. It's not bad. You should have cleaners as well. I went en suite 1st year and shared 2nd. It's not as bad as it sounds man, hell! It's better even, don't have to clean and it's cheaper and more social accom.
I'm going Lancaster next year now on deferred entry, so should I ring up and cancel my accommodation application?
Reply 1469
Original post by T.Reid

Ive just recieved my accommodation offer and im in Bowland, just the standard room.
Original post by Nathan
Ive just recieved my accommodation offer and im in Bowland, just the standard room.

You might be living with me next year then! Im in Annexe C floor, il be in the twin room. So if youre there, give me a shout! Names Rachael. :smile:
Reply 1471
I've still not heard anything from them.. So anxious because i'm an 'insurance' student too...

Perhaps the fact that I applied early may help? :frown:
Question about Furness: I just read that there is going to be significant refurbishment to all its facilities and there will be major disruption to services and activities. What will this mean for me? Does it sound a big deal?
Original post by k9markiii
Question about Furness: I just read that there is going to be significant refurbishment to all its facilities and there will be major disruption to services and activities. What will this mean for me? Does it sound a big deal?

There will be pretty major disruption for your first year. The bar [Trev] is going to be closed, the porters will be rehoused somewhere else and the departments that are usually in the building have also moved. Plus, things like the TV room are not going to be open for you to use.

However, the JCR have known about it and I've heard they have made alternative arrangements for socials etc. And, once it is done, I'm sure it will look amazing. :smile:
Got my second choice. I'm now a Furnessian :biggrin:
Reply 1475
Got my accommodation all sorted, though have a few questions:

1: How many Ethernet ports are there?
2: How many electrical sockets?
3: Are the beds in en suite full single or 3/4 size?

Cheers :wink:
Original post by Oatcake
Got my accommodation all sorted, though have a few questions:

1: How many Ethernet ports are there?
2: How many electrical sockets?
3: Are the beds in en suite full single or 3/4 size?

Cheers :wink:

1) just the one
2)depends on the room. my one currently has 4. i advise you to bring an extension lead.
3) theyre normal beds most of the time, but some are slightly longer than others. (i believe this applies to townhouses and superior ensuite
Reply 1477
Original post by ponpon14
1) just the one
2)depends on the room. my one currently has 4. i advise you to bring an extension lead.
3) theyre normal beds most of the time, but some are slightly longer than others. (i believe this applies to townhouses and superior ensuite

Merci :smile:

Urgghh, just read the ResNet terms as well, and you can't use an ethernet switch to be able to use more than one device at a time :frown: You don't happen to know if people have been using them anyway, do you?

I though as much - already planned :biggrin:

Would you advise getting single fitted or non-fitted sheets?

Thanks for the help
Reply 1478
Original post by Oatcake
Merci :smile:

Urgghh, just read the ResNet terms as well, and you can't use an ethernet switch to be able to use more than one device at a time :frown: You don't happen to know if people have been using them anyway, do you?

I though as much - already planned :biggrin:

Would you advise getting single fitted or non-fitted sheets?

Thanks for the help

Not sure, about this, but if the 'other' device has wi-fi you could create an Ad-Hoc wireless network and just share the connection, although, having said that, i'm not sure of the 'consequences'. But it's what i'm going to do/try.

:rolleyes:
Reply 1479
Original post by JontyC
Not sure, about this, but if the 'other' device has wi-fi you could create an Ad-Hoc wireless network and just share the connection, although, having said that, i'm not sure of the 'consequences'. But it's what i'm going to do/try.

:rolleyes:

I'm fairly tech-competent, though networking is not my strong point... :frown:

So I have my PC connected to the ethernet port in the room - how then do I set up an Ad-Hoc network to my Xbox/Laptop - both of which have wireless capabilities?

EDIT: Cancel that, got it :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending