The Student Room Group

what units should i take in Further Maths

Well i have to do FP1 and i have also decided that i am going to do D1. however i need an to do an extra unit for AS further maths, i am doing S1 for AS maths so the decision has to be made on the following:
1) Statistics 2
2) Decision 2- Unlikely till A2
3) Mechanics 1-But i hate all that physics stuff, hence why i dropped physics and picked up economics
4) further pure 2

any help that you could give me would be extremely helpful and i will be grateful
Reply 1
I really would recommend M1, S2 is OK too. If you struggle a bit with Maths I suggest not taking FP2, and I'm not too sure about D2.
Out of that choice there i would go for D2/S2. Although M1 might be a little easier, it's no use doing it if you hate it. FP2 requires more than C1/2 as far as I'm aware so I would defer that to A2 if you choose to continue with further maths.
i suggest M1....i hate physic stuff aswel but it is only the maths part of physics aswel so should be fine.
Reply 4
I would go for S2 if you've already done S1.
M1 M1 M1 M1 M1 M1 M1 M1

!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 6
brad_bcfc
I would go for S2 if you've already done S1.

is it possiible to do both s1 and s2 simultaneously
Reply 7
yassin_isman
is it possiible to do both s1 and s2 simultaneously

Yeah. I personally think Stats is the easiest out of the lot of them!
Reply 8
FP4 ftw :biggrin:, I would do S2 since you hate mechanics, S2 is simpler than S1 but there is more stuff to learn.

Andy
I'd say S2 or M1 really

I hated M1 at first but got to enjoy it after a while :smile:

I dislike Stats as I find it boring but it's up to you :smile:

EDIT: what exam board are you on? I was on edexcel and FP2 was a bitch lol
Reply 10
fp2 or s2 or d2 as they are harder than m1 and so best to get out of the way in first year and whatever you do, don't do a unit from the english paper coz thats the wrong subject
Reply 11
FFCrusader
I'd say S2 or M1 really

I hated M1 at first but got to enjoy it after a while :smile:

I dislike Stats as I find it boring but it's up to you :smile:

EDIT: what exam board are you on? I was on edexcel and FP2 was a bitch lol

AQA, however if i take M1 now i will have only 1 lesson a week, however if i wait till A2 they will teach M1 for 2/3 lessons a week
Reply 12
If you hate mechanics, then dont do it. Anything but that.
I'd suggest S2. FP2 I've heard is a bit of a bitch, I'm currently doing FP3 and matrices are doing my head in lol grrrr, but I struggled with Mechanics for ages last year myself.
Reply 14
me, myself and I
I'd suggest S2. FP2 I've heard is a bit of a bitch, I'm currently doing FP3 and matrices are doing my head in lol grrrr, but I struggled with Mechanics for ages last year myself.

why are you doing FP3 before FP2?
lols confused.

i suggest you take S2, i personally haven't done it but i'm going to be in the same situation except i've done M1, however i enjoy the physics side.

S2 you'll get a higher mark in tbh, just its long/boring apparently.
meeeech
why are you doing FP3 before FP2?
lols confused.

I'm on the old syllabus, and you don't need FP2 knowledge to sit FP3- they're interchangeable. You have to have done FP1 though. I know there's apparently the option to do just two Further Pure modules and then 4 applied but we're doing all 3 :frown: